Thread: Best beginer overnight run?Class 2?

Default Best beginer overnight run?Class 2?

Sheep creek is on hold for myself untill I gain some experience but my buddies want to do a nice trip towards the end of may somewhere. Any suggestions for maybe some nice, fun class 2 water. Also we will be in inflatable kayaks. Thanks!

Default On the Kenai

Kasilof River.
    The run from Tustemena lake down is a great little run that lets you get aquanted with moving water.
    Its a bit short, ( about 2 to 3 hours ) but you can camp out at the lake area and do the trip several times in the course of a couple of days.
    Class two is its rating
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks Alaskacanoe. My buddie mentioned the kenai canyon. Are you familiar with that?

Default The kenai river

From Jims landing to Skilak lake is the area refered to as the kenai Canyon.
    it has some good rollers in places along the way that are not easy to avoid.
    I have kayak'd the canyon before, with little problem, but every year someone tries to take a kayak or Canoe down the canyon and has to be rescued.
    a couple of the places where there are rapids, it is tight and not much area to avoid the bigger water. if you are comfortable with some class III water, then the canyon is ok,, it is mostly class II and class I , but there are a couple of nice rollers in a few sections.
    after you do make it to the lake, then its a paddle of over 5 miles to the take out. the lake can kick up and be the worst part of the trip, so prepare to wait it out, or portage the trail out 2 plus miles.
    If the wind is laying down, it is just a nice 5 mile lake paddle to the upper SKilak boat launch..
    preparation is key in anywater trip,and you are doing good homework
    Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Lyon Creek from the top of Turnagain Pass to the usual put in for Sixmile Creek can be done in 1 long day, or you can camp out at Bertha Creek or Granite Creek campgrounds to make it a two day trip. It's all class I & II with a lot of tight turns, but nothing a newby in an IK can't easily do. It's still a fun run for more experienced paddlers too.

You can do Chulitna from East Fork put in to Denali Princess Lodge in two fairly long days, or three short ones. Or from there to the Parks Highway bridge near Sunshine Creek in two short days. The upper East Fork of the Chulitna has one class II section just before & after the railroad bridge, but is otherwise class I with some rollers and small whirlpools. The nice large gravel bars make a comfortable camp. If the water is very high you might want to go elsewhere though. There can be some large waves that develop in the canyon sections and campsites are harder to find.

Several sections of the Matanuska could make for fine two day trips. The Bridge just below Lions Head Rapids is a good place to start, and King Mountain Lodge or King River are good stopping points. Or start there and go down to the Old Palmer Highway Bridge. Class I & II

I've never found Kenai Canyon very difficult in an IK - even for beginners. It is generally rated at about class II+, and some large waves can not be easily avoided, but IKs are stable. Canoes & hard shell kayaks are more difficult, but IKs make some things look easy. So from Kenai Lake to Skilak Lake is a good one day ride with good camping on the lake beach where the river dumps in, and then one more day to paddle along the lake 8 miles to the upper Skilak campground take out. Alternately, you can find a couple places in the canyon to camp. If the wind comes up (usually in late afternoons with sunny weather) the lake can get to class III in a heart beat, so a mid morning crossing works best in good weather.

Gulkana River from Sourdough Campground to the highway bridge can be done in two good days. Class I

Some of these will have more people on them than than others. Kenai & Gulkana, for instance, can have a lot of traffic if the salmon are running. None are ever very far from a road, but are usually far enough to never see one. Upper Kenai is the exception to that.

IKs are wet boats, and Alaska waters are cold, so I would advise a drysuit for all paddlers. Wetsuits really don't cut it on a multi-day trip. I have a few, and if you are in need perhaps we can work something out. I also have three IKs if you're interested.

I have worn wetsuits with rain gear over, and that can work well if you don't swim. Once the wetsuit gets soaked it will be forever cooling you off with evaporation. Another warm option is old neoprene chest waders with the feet cut off for drainage (so you can get back into your boat). The closed cell neoprene used in waders is unlike the open cell neoprene of a wetsuit, and holds no water to evaporate. Use large rubber bands on the cuffs to keep the water from blowing up your legs with either of these options.

Have fun.

Default Great overnight class ll + run

The Brushkana is a great class ll+ run, a boater will encounter continuous class ll. There is a section about a mile long starting about a mile below the bridge that is class ll+ and is 3- at higher levels. You will see a high bluff on the left and then you will encounter one on the right, from this point and below it picks up half a notch and is pretty darn fun.It is safe as far as wood goes in the whitewater section and the banks are friendly. A swimmer would more than likely get out with little more than a bump or two. This is great to prepare younger ones for longer more adventuresome trips (in a boat with you of course) because it also includes the slowest river in the world, the upper Nenana (mental pain). This part of the trip to the Denali highway is long / 12 miles and slooooow but has scenery. Do not forget to fish Seattle creek and wells creek where they join the Nenana. The whole trip is 18 miles and can provide training for beginners, (that can steer a boat fairly well) wanting to try swift rocky and fairly steep streams. A seasoned paddler will also enjoy the whitewater section its not that hard but is fun. My second decent of the creek my wife and 17 year old daughter took IK'S, and my 8 and 9 year old and myself took a 9 foot raft as a paddle team and had a blast.. The greyling fishing below monahan creek is awesome. My kids will tell you the Brushkana is the best creek in the world. My wife was all smiles but my oldest was slightly intimidated my the creeks continuous nature.
    As always, wear those drysuits and helmets neo. gloves are good to, be safe, plan, and enjoy. Mark o.

Default thanks

That sounds like a fun run with a chance to camp overnight..
    I have a lot less experience with the northern rivers.
    Thanks again for a great post.
    Max

Default Did I see you Markoathout?

At Brushkana, 23rd or 24th?