Thread: Belanger Pass Trail

Default Belanger Pass Trail

Has anyone heard of the Belanger Pass Trail? If so where is it?

Default gun sight

i have heard of it in the old gun sight lodge area to what i would call the north of side of the hwy and i beleave it goes up and over into the crooked creek area behind eureka but now days when you go in behind gun sight there is alot of porivate property up on the hill there
    if you look on google earth it actualy shows the trail name

Mile 123 on the Glenn, just past the lodge on the north side of the hwy. If you go thru private property you went the wrong way. The trail has a fork a couple miles in, one way goes up Squaw Creek, the other over Belanger Pass and up Alfred Creek.
    I'll post everything I got on those trails someday when I have more time. You won't get in there till late May early June. The trail starts a 3000 feet elevation and climbs to over 4000 feet. 26 mile round trip and the Pass is at 5 mile. 3 miles further in you have to travel in Pass creek for 5 miles and it can be a mother coming back against the current. Nice places in there.

It's part of the Chickaloon-Knik-Nelchina Trail System. If you have any questions fire away.

Leave the parking lot at Eureka gravel pit heading north at the barrel/sign post take the center trail. right goes to Monument and left goes to Eureka lodge. You end up about 3 miles west of the Little Nelchina crossing at the bottom of Monument.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

DWS,

Is it possible to ever connect any of these trails to Hicks Creek Trail. As the crow flies it is not very far from Caribou Creek. I only have one season of riding up that way, but Hicks is favorite so far.

It not really possible to connect the Belanger pass/ Squaw creek trail to Hicks creek. Caribou would have to be super low to get across. Also a couple miles upstream from where the Belanger trail meets Caribou (at Alfred crk), the canyon narrows to about 15 ft wide. Unless there is a way over the mountain on the east side of caribou. Although, my map does show a 'tractor trail' taking off from Alfred crk and connecting with Divide crk.
    Now if only the snow would hurry up and melt!

On a few of the trips I made last summer, I could have got across Caribou Creek near Divide Creek pretty easily. Not sure about further up the river. Guess we have around a month before getting back up that way!

Thanks

Default good old trail

I spent a couple days on this trail about three weeks back. At the top of the pass the trail can go towards Alfred Ck. (downhill) it's a good basic trail with little chance to get stuck. If you take the right fork (uphill), at the top of the pass, it makes a many mile loop that will come back to the downhill trail. This trail has opportunities to use your winch, if you choose to get muddy and test your tires' potential. Good ride, saw caribou and caught some fish.