Thread: new to muzzleloading need advise on black bears

Default new to muzzleloading need advise on black bears

I going black bear hunting next week and want to make my frist kill with a muzzleloader i wondering if any one out there has some good loads advise right now i been shooting 295 grain powerbelt with 50/50 triple 7 getting good groups and fighty yards but so so good of groups at 100yards just wondering what other think thanks Mike

Shoot within your comfortable range, which sounds like fifty yards. You may want to try a sabot bullet, I have heard mixed reviews on the powerbelts for accuracy. Try the Hornady XTP pistol bullets with a sabot.
    How many grains of powder are you shooting? Most rifles start to drop in accuracy once you get above 100 grains.
    Just my $0.02

Default powerbelts

I shoot a cva inline with powerbelts found about the same results you did. I put a scope on it for a deer hunt down south and foud it grouped fine at 100 and 125 yards. I guess the old eyes must be the blame!! Just stay within your comfort zone and you will do fine.g

Default Mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I going black bear hunting next week and want to make my frist kill with a muzzleloader i wondering if any one out there has some good loads advise right now i been shooting 295 grain powerbelt with 50/50 triple 7 getting good groups and fighty yards but so so good of groups at 100yards just wondering what other think thanks Mike
    I've had weirdness with Powerbelts, both for accuracy and game, so I don't trust them completely. They work fine when they work, but fail miserably when they don't.

I'm more inclined to a heavy lead flat nose like the Lyman great plains bullet. That flat nose gives them lots of whop when they hit game, while the weight helps them penetrate. Accuracy is best with a lubed felt wad between them and the powder, and in all my guns (both inline and traditional) loose powder is much more accurate than pellets.

Thumbs up Barnes MZ Expander

Suggest the Barnes Expander 250gr with 90gr of 777 2F.....for your black bear
    Alaska

Thank alot for the tip i went out and shot today I got a couple differant types of sabot bullets and the XTP pistol bullets were great I had 4 inch group at 125 yards with 150 grains of tripple 7 pellets very happy wioth the accuracy. thank you akmike

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Shoot within your comfortable range, which sounds like fifty yards. You may want to try a sabot bullet, I have heard mixed reviews on the powerbelts for accuracy. Try the Hornady XTP pistol bullets with a sabot.
    How many grains of powder are you shooting? Most rifles start to drop in accuracy once you get above 100 grains.
    Just my $0.02

I shot them great plain bullets today.I could'nt get them to group i going with the Hornady 44-300 grainXTP sabot bullets with 150 grain of tripple 7. Let me know what you think. I do know that i getting a differant ML other than the CVA that i have. Any Ideas Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've had weirdness with Powerbelts, both for accuracy and game, so I don't trust them completely. They work fine when they work, but fail miserably when they don't.

I'm more inclined to a heavy lead flat nose like the Lyman great plains bullet. That flat nose gives them lots of whop when they hit game, while the weight helps them penetrate. Accuracy is best with a lubed felt wad between them and the powder, and in all my guns (both inline and traditional) loose powder is much more accurate than pellets.