Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowerPro, Tuf-Line, others???

Default PowerPro, Tuf-Line, others???

I am trying to figure out what the differences are between all these superlines. On the websites, some are called braided, some are spectra, some are spectra braids, etc.

Specifically, what is the difference betweem Power Pro, Tuf-Line XP, and Tuf-Line Plus? Are they all basically the same? Are they all abrasive? I am looking for line to spool up for salmon shark fishing this summer, and am wondering what the differences are.

IMO it's Ford vs Chevy or Polaris vs Yamaha etc.
    Don't go with one that is coated with a plastic type cover over it. The plastic stretched and the spectra didn't.
    I use three different brands so that I can get different colors on each rod for untangling purposes. None has worn out or broken at a faster rate than the other.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

I dont think there is much difference between them, but they are very different than mono.

On another thread someone asked a similar question and got many different answers to which is 'better'. I dont think there is one better than the other.

If you're casting with them, make sure to use a finger protector!

I use spiderwire stealth. 65# for kings it is very nice. I actually use it for any salmon cause I use one rod for most any of my salmon fishing. The spider wire stealth had paid for itself many times over becasue I use lures mostly for salmon and have not lost a single lure that did not have a leader since using the Spiderwire stealth. I have only lost a few spin-n-glows to the mono leaders breaking.

I also spooled up one reel with tuf-line XP looks looks like another good one.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I use the Power Pro 80# for halibut. Love it. Though the dye when new will make a little mess when it gets wet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Same here I use Power Pro 80# for halibut and 50# for my lighter jig rod and for Kings. That stuff is crazy tough, I swear you could pull up your anchor with it. Have gotten hung with the 80 and had no choice but to cut the line. I don't care for the spider wire as it seems to be rougher on the rod eyes.

Happy Fishing

Steve

Smile

AK Grey, I had the same issue with the dye on from the Power Pro staining my fiber glass, I contacted the company and they told me to clean it with rubbing alcohol I believe. I had to send them a 1 foot piece of my line, they sent me a new 300 yd spool. Not a bad trade.

Not bad at all. The red line was not as bad as the green and flo green
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Another vote for PowerPro here.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Difference

So there are only a few places that make "spectra" or super braid line. Most make their line the same way and then each company adds what they think is the best coating like teflon or uhmw or some other slick coating to make the line lay better on the reel.

The one exception is Power Pro which uses heat at some part of the process to change the shape of their line a little. Some say the heat process is what makes their line better others say the heat process is what makes their line not as good.

There are different coatings but for the most part Spectra is Spectra. We have used them all and I will say that none of our group of charter uses Power Pro because we got some that failed in such a way that for a week or so until we figured it out, many very nice fish were lost. Once that happened we all sent to Stern Braid or Berkely Braid.

Thats all I know about that....

I use 80# power pro (yellow) and have never had a problem. I guess the red bleeds out really bad. I have gotten hung up on the bottom and had to cleat my line off and pull on it with a boat because it was so strong. I pulled an eye straight on a 'slove (solvkroken) with that line. I have lost less than 2 jigs in the past 3 years. power pro is the real deal.

Ygk Jig Man Super Braid That Line Is Insane...

Thanks guys. I'm spooling two reels, so maybe I'll try two types and see which I like best.

Default Spectra Line

I've used many hundreds of $$$$ of Power Pro and found it to be quite good other than the colored coating sluffing off......I had problems with weak bimini twists until I changed my technique.....the Power Pro really weakens from twisting at the top of the knot...

I've replaced the PP on several Baja reels with Jerry Brown Line 1 hollow braid which I find ties much better and has no coatings to sluff off. Holow braid can also facilitate the Chinese finger-cuff splice for attaching heavy mono leaders.

Spectra lines don't seem as abraisive as some claim.....but I'm only a sport fisherman while those rods on a charter boat may experience some eye abraision.

Default Braided Line

The first super braided that I used was Spider Wire in 94. The line was really tough but it would cut the guys on the poles and any other lines in the water. I next tried Tuf line which was black and white in color. Good line and really liked it. When Power Pro came out I tried it for several years. The main problem with Power Pro was caused by rocks or mainly other hooks. Any nicks in the line it would break. Last year I spooled up with 100 pound test tough line green in color. The line worked good but on my Daiwa inter line poles it was cutting the metal tip just past the ceramic guide.Not sure if it was the line but never had that problem with Power Pro. This year I am using a new line call Calcutta Braid. I have it in green at 130 Pound Test and yellow at 100 Pound Test. Will let you know how it performs. Have also purchased some 65 pound test Spider Wire and some 100 Pound test spider wire. From down under I purchased some 100 pound test Pelagic to try out.

As far as I knew Spectra is only made bu Izorline. It was the first out on the market and the other lines are called spectra just like a nose wipes are called Kleenex.

The Power Pro stuff is by far the most popular, but hands down I prefer the stuff made bu Izorline. Much softer in my opinion and more abbrasion resistant (If there is such a thing with fiber lines).

The best stuff on the market today is made by the Japanese (It is super expensive). It doesnt come in lb test ratings but is classed by PE4, PE6, PE8, etc.....

The Jerry Brown hollow core stuff is also pretty trick if you are interested in Wind on leaders. Personally I would never spool a whole reel with the stuff as it is expensive, but use it for building leaders. You can splice "Spectra" to "Spectra" very easily with a very small knot.

Remember; all of this is just personal opinion.

PS I have used plenty of Power Pro (and still do at times) at it is plenty good as well.

Default Spectra

Spectra is a gel spun polyethelne that I think was invented by a company called Allied Signal. It was used for industrial applications before it was "downsized" for fishing applications.

I know there are two companies that make it in the same town in Colorado and by now I would assume a few more around the world.

Since it is so competitive of a market for the stuff, I would think it is all good. My friend and current member of Team "Preparation H" Captain "Goo" in Seward swears by the Tuff Line, While ledgendary ( second generation) charter captain Steve Zernia uses the Berkely Braid. Me, I'll use what they give me and like it....

I am sure it is all good and if were paying for it, I would look at who has the cheapest spectra possible and buy it.
    I agree the Japanese super braid is sweet. You can get it under the Daiwa brand they call it Samuri line I think....
    All from memory at 9 PM after crawling around my boat for 12 hours....

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I've used many hundreds of $$$$ of Power Pro and found it to be quite good other than the colored coating sluffing off......I had problems with weak bimini twists until I changed my technique.....the Power Pro really weakens from twisting at the top of the knot...

I've replaced the PP on several Baja reels with Jerry Brown Line 1 hollow braid which I find ties much better and has no coatings to sluff off. Holow braid can also facilitate the Chinese finger-cuff splice for attaching heavy mono leaders.
    The Power Pro recommends that you use only the uni knot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've used most of the brands of the braided lines over the last few years, and there isn't much difference between them. Each line does have it's own look and feel to it, but they all do the job well.

Personally, I like to put a different colored line on each halibut reel....a couple in green, yellow, and white. Now that there's a red line, I will probably use it in the near future. A technicolor knot is much easier to untangle, when inevitable occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    The Power Pro recommends that you use only the uni knot.
    I use the Palomar knot exclusively, because it's really easy to tie. I've had broken lines, but as near as I can tell, I've never had a knot fail. I hope the trend continues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast