Thread: squid fishing

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default squid fishing

found this on adn.com this morning. i know there has been discussion about this before.

http://www.adn.com/money/industries/...ry/388226.html

We used to fish their little brothers and sisters out in the Greenport, NY.
    10-15 inches all stretch out.

If I uploaded the pics correctly, thats me with the red hat. Filipino fisherman.

Every year was different, when I went I would only catch 20-30. Some years, many would stay out all night and catch upwards of 300. you would see many restaurant owners there, with their family, catching a cleaning, hoping to sell in the next few months.

I joined forum on San Diego fishing as well because Ill be visiting there as well. Many have said the bigger ones taste awful if you dont know how to prepare them. Others have said they taste great.

Well, thats the sports fishing part that I know of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! I've eaten humboult squid before, and it's not toooo bad. Can't imagine if they get into our salmon stock....

Default Theres monsters out there

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    found this on adn.com this morning. i know there has been discussion about this before.

http://www.adn.com/money/industries/...ry/388226.html
    Went down Mexico way out of San Diego this Christmas for some Cow Tuna and did a little night fishing and caught some of those beasts.

Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Hey Bob!

Nice squid! DId you eat them??
    Were they good?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default dang them are hogs

yes did you eat them? did they put up a fight? i dont imagine you use your standard squid jig to pull those in?

Mark

My brother-in-law caught a bunch of humboldt squid while fishing Baja California. The panga operator loved it, and they caught lots of them, but that wasn't what they were targeting. I don't know what they were using for bait.

He brought a bunch of it home to Alaska, and we had a big "fish fry" that fall (salmon, halibut, burbot, rockfish), including the calamari.

It was a big hit. We all loved it, and there sure was plenty to go around (it was a BIG party, too...........)

I've been meaning to do some of those long-range charters out of San Diego. It would be nice to run into a school of squid...........

Man look at all those Squid steaks. Now I'm hungry
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Tough as a Glove

The deck hands just threw them back as they said it would be like eating an old baseball glove.
    They were fun to catch as they did fight. We used Jumbo glowing leaded jigs. The fun part came when landing them as they would blow out a gallon of water and you would get soaked. I like squid and sure wanted to take some steaks home, but had to believe the local experianced deck hands who said they were pretty tough.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

ERHARDT KRAUSE MCCLATCHY

Steve Consulo of Antelope, Calif., holds a Humboldt squid in February 2006. It was one of many weighing 30 pounds to 45 pounds that he caught at Cordell Bank, Calif.

One ship trawling for Pacific hake captured an estimated 50 tons of the squid in one net haul.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    The deck hands just threw them back as they said it would be like eating an old baseball glove.......
    ......I like squid and sure wanted to take some steaks home, but had to believe the local experianced deck hands who said they were pretty tough.
    I've had mixed results listening to charter skippers.

One, who we liked and used for years halibut fishing out of Homer, would pull up and leave when we started catching grey cod. He said they weren't worth the effort, and were no good to eat. I insisted on keeping the ones that got into the boat.

My family loves cod.

Then once fishing out of Whittier on Bread & Butter Charters I caught an arrowtooth flounder. At the time, as far as I was concerned, flounder was flounder, and I loved it.

The skipper told me it would turn to mush and it was no good, but I didn't believe him. I took it home, cleaned it, and (before it was ever frozen) put it on the barby.

It turned to mush..........

Default Trust your own palatte...

If I had listened to the deckhands, skippers, and locals during my twenty odd years up in Alaska I would never have eaten gray cod, kelp greenling, small squid, octopus, dolly varden, chum salmon, pink salmon, and Irish Lord.

I've eaten them all and I've enjoyed them all.

If the day ever comes when and if I catch a giant squid, you can count on me to be at the dock beating it on the rocks to tenderize it before I try it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Baseball glove?

Any squid can have the texture of a baseball glove or an old eraser. It all depends on if you cook them properly. Cook them too long or not long enough and thats how they will end up. I would think the bigger they are would just mean more of the delicious food available. I'd rather have 1 of these monsters than a bunch of those 2 to 4 inch frozen ones from Sagya's!

I was in a tackle shop a few weeks ago and they were playing a video of how to catch humbolts in california.

One of the deckhands then showed how to prepared one.

What he did was first cut into a steak, then slice a thin layer off the top (outer layer) and the bottom (inside layer). He said that would make a tasty steak without the chewiness.

Default Highjack

If I had listened to the deckhands, skippers, and locals during my twenty odd years up in Alaska I would never have eaten gray cod, kelp greenling, small squid, octopus, dolly varden, chum salmon, pink salmon, and Irish Lord.
    What was the irish lord like?
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Default Humboldt Squid recipe

Try this recipe. Remove the heads and tail end (mantel) of the giant squid until you have just the extremely large tube left. Pull off the colored membrane and slice it to lay in one flat piece. Cut out the center 3-4" from one end to the other(center row of cartiledge). Take each side and fillet off about 1/8-1/4" of the hard skin membrane. You have to do both sides. Now you have the tender center edible pieces. Cut them into 6" squares. You can now dry them and freeze or cook. Soak the pieces in milk in a ziploc bag for about 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels and dip in beaten egg and then dredge in flour. I like to repeat this again as it makes a nice puffy crust. Heat about 3 TB Olive oil, 3 TB vegetable oil and 2 TB butter on med heat. Fry about 4 minutes on each side. Do not salt heavily as the meat still has salt and it will become too salty. I use garlic salt and fresh black pepper, but very sparingly. Make a hollandaise sauce (canned Henny Penny is great or packaged Knorrs...with a little added fresh lemon juice)or tarter sauce on the side. You can also add a little white wine and lemon juice to the pan after you have cooked the squid and reduce this to a nice sauce. You will love it. Similar to an abalone/scallop cross.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by meat_purveyor View Post
    What was the irish lord like?
    It's pretty oily, but the flavor wasn't bad.

There sure ain't much meat on it..........

Default Try this for hollandaise

BLENDER HOLLANDAISE SAUCE 3 egg yolks
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Dash of cayenne pepper
    1/2 c. butter

Put egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne in blender jar. Heat butter in small pan until bubbly. Do not burn. Cover blender and whirl at high speed for 2 or 3 seconds. Remove center section of cover or entire cover and at high speed pour in hot butter in a thin, steady stream. It will take about 30 seconds. Don't use residue in pan.

It'll be a little thicker than a hand beaten hollandaise, but it's quick and easy and a bazillion times better than Knorr or a canned sauce.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

I picked up some squid jigs last year, but never got a chance to try them out. Perhaps this year I'll give them a go.

Calamari is pretty popular at our house, would love to have some in the freezer.