Thread: How to patch hole?

Default How to patch hole?

I have on old colemen (at least 20 years old) it has holes worn through on both ends I tried several different patches nothing holds. Any one know a good way to fix it? I tried bondo, fiberglass, nothing seems to last more than one summer.
    Chuck

I would check out some stables for horses. There is a hoof repair item that a kayaker told me about that he claims is the only thing to do that kind of job. Hope that helps and let us know if you go that route and how it works.

George

Chuck,

Not much but polyethylene wants to stick to polyethylene. I've had limited success "welding" coleman holes with other parts of Colemans, and it's lasted a bit, but not very long. I've had better success bolting on a patch and then sealing the patch edges with rubber (put the rubber gasket on when you bolt the patch on.

Max may have more info, as this has come up before. FYI, I just took a look at the Subsistence in Alaska forum...interesting and I wish you luck with that.
    Best,

I was beginning to come to that conclusion I was just hoping I was wrong. I my try bolting patch on. It the pits when you can only get 20 years out of a canoe.
    Chuck

Default patching canoes

Mark is right, Polyethylene is a tough thing to patch.
    A fellow last year or so ago suggested using a product you can get from window places, its called SIKAFEX or something close to that.
    he said it worked pretty good.
    but if you are getting a season out of your repairs now.. thats about as good as anyone does,
    We repaired about 13 canoes last year by having a guy spray a keel protector on my canoes using Rhino Hide type of bed liner stuff.
    it worked well on both Royalex and glass canoes. I did not do any of the Polyethlene canoes with it.
    look in the search for canoe repair.. we had lots of discussion on it and some great ideas
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Here is a site that has a plastic welding kit.

http://www.malcomheatguns.com/

Thanks guys looks like I have a few options.
    Chuck

Default Repair

I would consider the plastic welder. They work wonders one plastic car parts. If It doesn't suit you, just get out the screws and get with it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had a couple holes in my coleman canoe (someone shot it with arrows). I used plain old silicone, it worked for over 10 yrs. Just put the silicone on the inside so if you rub up against rocks everything stays put. It works!

Default less is more

Kenairmk may be right..
    just a dab of silicone may be all many repairs need,
    I had a canoe get bit by a black bear right on the upswept part of the keel, it was a coleman. I just plugged the holes with some Marine tech, and that repair lasted a few seasons.
    But then once in a while, you get a hole in a spot that just won't stay fixed... waaaaaaa..
    those drive you crazy..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default holes

My step son's little canoe had some cracks in it I opened them up with a bur bit and used jb weld on them three years ago with no leaks
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks for your tip. It's very helpful for my canoe.

Get a plastic welder. I indadvertantly put a hole in the fuel tank in my boat and couldn't find a replacement tank. So I googled here there and everywhere until I came across these guys. http://www.urethanesupply.com/ once I found out my tank was cross linked polyethelene their tech told me that technically it can't be welded, but gave me detailed tips on how he'd effectively patched such tanks, and it held like a champ!

Here's the setup you want http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

I've repaired the fenders on my boat trailer, and even trash cans. With the wire screen you can build up a decent layer of plastic over the areas that are worn through. I'd go with the 80 w pro welder and order some stainless mesh.