Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a Soldier Fishing

Lightbulb Take a Soldier Fishing

Hi there. My name is Mike Nashif and I own the website www.takeasoldierfishing.com and was hoping some of you would like to join in and take a soldier fishing. I know there are several bases in Alaska and i am pretty sure they are active in the outdoors. I had several soldiers and people from Alaska on my site but we had a server migration that went bad and lost all the data. I had to start over. So if you posted before or would like to post an offer to take a service member out then please visit my site. Come and represent your state. Post some pictures and make us all jealous of the beauty and the beasts!

IF there is some interest from local businesses in becoming a sponsor please let me know. I know that there are alot of service members that feel that Alaska is another world away. If we can work together maybe we can start a project like "Exchange Soldier" (Think of it like an exchange student) where we could get everything set up and exchange soldiers from 2 different states and allow them to go fishing for the weekend in each others state. All this really would cost is airfare, I am sure someone would be willing to allow these soldiers to stay at their house for the weekend and host them for a weekend of fishing. Let me know what you guys think.

I would also like the owner of this site to contact me please.

Look forward to seeing some pictures and posts.

Mike Nashif SSG US Army Ft. Hood, Texas
    mike@takeasoldierfishing.com

Default Took a Wounded Warrier

Via a friend I took a Wounded Warrier last year on a 8hor trip, he had never been fishing in the ocean before. Catching sucked but the Fishing was a hoot, enjoyed teaching showing him things about fishing and boating. He didn't think he'd ever get another chance since he was set to go home by it will be something he remembers for a very long time.
    It was the very least I could do to show my Thankfulness for defending my right to be able to have a form like this to write my opinion in let alone ports or even a boat to use.
    I will take another this year, not set up for real serious handicaps. The program in Seward by the big charter some thing Adventures was a great thing for them to do.

Thanks for joining the site and taking out that wounded warrior. He will remember it for the rest of his life.

I have some people interested in hosting a soldier from Alaska in Texas to do some warm water fishing. They seemed very interested in this project and I am curious to see how far this can go.

ANY SERVICE MEMBERS FROM ALASKA WANT TO GO FISHING IN TEXAS?

ANY PERSON OR BUSINESS OR GROUP WANT TO SPONSOR THIS SERVICE MEMBER? (Airfare)

Please let me know and we can work out the details. Maybe do this once or 2 times a year and make a big deal out of it. Thanks Mike

I forgot something...

ANYBODY WILLING TO HOST THE SERVICE MEMBER FROM TEXAS?
    Would need to provide lodging and a fishing trip for a weekend.

I would be more than happy to take service member fishing and I can provide a place to stay (my house). I cannot afford the cost of a plane ticket but I would spring for everything else.

SFC Mark Wiggins ARNG Ret.
    Juneau AK

Maybe you could raise money from local businesses to sponsor this soldier from Texas.

It would work like this. You in AK pay for the soldier in Texas and us here in Texas pay for the soldier in AK. You guys get the word out about the project to Ak soldiers. We will have some sort of competition on my site. This forum and the other forum that is part of this project will choose each others soldier. We will pick a date that works for both soldiers and for the 2 hosts. Flight time.... fishing the whole weekend with pictures and video. Flight time .... get online and share the experiences good/bad/ugly and so on. I know it sounds real easy written down as it is in my head buuut we all know that there will be kinks that will have to be worked out.

Anybody else have any ideas on this project?
    Later Mike

We will pick a date so that both can go on the same weekend

bump bump bump

heck i will kick in a hundred bucks towards a plane ticket for someone..
    where do i send it??
    and if one of them service men want to come to idaho,, well I'm game...

Those guys have soooooo......... much fun! There is a program in FL as well. Just ending "Fleet Week" here. Didn't have the opportunity to participate this year. Did it a few years ago. Hope you get a program going on.

Slimm sorry it took so long to respond. Busy with work and so many other programs or projects going on as well. If you would like to be the guy that collects the money then we can do that. I will let someone from Alaska make the reservation and so on once we get some more people that are interested. With the economy the way it is i understand people unwilling to part with the little money they can save. Imagine what a person could do if 100 people donated $5 and so on. If you think you can "rally the troops" and raise enough money to get a plane ticket I will do the same here on this end. Any body can call me if this will help things along my number is 254-368-2174 and and I am Central Standard time (Texas)

Also what airport would the soldier from Alaska be departing from? I am clueless. Thanks Mike

MOving it back to the top. Hope to spark some interest in this little program but I know with the rising cost ofr fuel and EVERYTHING else its gonna be tough. Later Mike

Well here is an update for yall. About a week ago my site came under attack by a hacker. They went in and planted a virus (a string of code) that led to a virus. The code has been found and removed and security features put in place. I am sorry if your computers were affected by this but please be patient with the new features as there have been some problems reported with email validation so I had to turn it off. Thanks again for your support. Mike Nashif www.takeasoldierfishing.com

Default Great program

Just a reminder, this does not have to be a "free" trip for military members who you would like to take fishing. Many military members are avid outdoorsmen, however in the course of moving around don't have the means to gear up for each station. Many would love to the opportunity to go fishing with someone and help split the costs.

Anyone at FT Richardson here in Alaska send me a message. Stanly and I both have river boats and have open seats quite a bit and would love to take a Soldier fishing. We both work on the base and would have no problem meeting up with any of you.

Exce;;ent, i posted a link on my website also.. great idea and much appreciated.. give something back to those people will to give it all for our country.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default I would like to help

I live in East Texas went to Alaska last year had a blast [thanks to all of you who answered all my numerous questions] I would like to donate some gas money a couple of hundred bucks Who and where should I send it?

Lufkinmike sent you a PM.

I would be more than happy to take service member fishing. I cannot afford the cost of a plane ticket but I would spring for everything else.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Operation Denali

Although not a soldier going fishing...here is another great way to help out some Outdoor adventure servicemen who are overcoming injuries suffered in combat. I work with Marc and he is an amazing individual. He is preparing for a climb of Denali next year with four other wounded warriors. Marc's arm is titanium from his elbow to his wrist, another has an artificial leg, another suffered severe facial burns and the last lost an arm. See the link below for more details and how you can support. They are looking for supporters and sponsors, both monetary and equipment. http://www.theveteranscoalition.org/operation%5Fdenali/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast