Thread: Half-Day Rockfish/Lingcod?

Default Half-Day Rockfish/Lingcod?

My dad is coming up in July and we're looking for a charter that will do a half-day trip for rockfish and lingcod. He says he's "already done halibut and he wants something different this time. Does anyone know of a charter that will do that?

Thanks!

That one is going to be tough. If you hire the whole boat they will take you wherever you want and do whatever. But, most of the time, majority rules on the boats, and I don't think most people come up here to chase rock fish and lings. Also, chasing rock and lings leaves out a lot of places you can go out of. Seward, Whittier, and Valdez have tons of lings and rockfish just a short distance from the protection of the bay. Maybe you should rent a boat and do you own chartering. But, then again, I may be completely "off" on this and there of tons charters doing this. I am sure others will chime in.

Millers Landing in Seward does short trips in the evening for Black Rockfish. I don't think you'll get into lingcod there, but the black rockfish can be a kick when the fishing is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Millers Landing in Seward does short trips in the evening for Black Rockfish. I don't think you'll get into lingcod there, but the black rockfish can be a kick when the fishing is good.
    I think your right. I don't think he goes past the line to where you can keep the Lings.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default you can rent a boat of good size in whittier!

Go to whittier takle and boat rentals. You can rent up to I think 24 or 26 foot boat for less than the cost of a charter boat. I think it starts around 450 and day up 850. Not that sure on prices. But If you have two salmon rods that hold 150yards or line your set. Im sure there is some guys on here that could share a few spots to try. Also if you pick up a chart for the area just look for rock structure's.

Good luck this summer. If you need any more advice hit me up!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.