Thread: anybody try SteriPEN ??

Default anybody try SteriPEN ??

I was looking through the cabelas magazine and came across this ultraviolet light that kills evrything in water.
    I am wanting to buy some filter or somthing that cleans water from bacteria without ruining the tast of water.
    just wonderting if anybody has used or came across them
    here is the site to look at it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...5610&noImage=0

It works. I have used one for 3 seasons and no giardia.

Matt

I have been told that it only works well in clearish water, if the water is milky (silt) or murky it is not as effective.

I guess it kills but not cleans.
    reason i need one is for lake water and ponds which are clear but iam shure has beaver fever or sumthin

so if i buy a filter to clean the big stuff out and then use the steripen kill gardia that would be good setup right?
    I just hate the filters that filter so hard that the water tast nasty like coal.
    what filter would be recomended for this?
    thanks in advance

If you are going to buy a filter to pre-filter your water then use the pen why wouldn't you just get a good filter in the first place? I use a Katadyn pocket filter which is a ceramic element impregnated with silver. I never get a bad taste and the filter is good for 14,000 gallons. I think they are around $240.00 or so. I've used mine for 9 years and still going strong. No batteries or electronics to get fudged out in the bush. Lots of parts available and they are built like tanks.
    If you get into sediment or silt, I carry a couple of paper coffee filters and rubber bands to put over the inlet hose pre-filter which lengthens the life of the main filter.

Here is one at REI http://www.rei.com/product/653573

Just my .02

Mountaintrekker

I've gotta agree with mountaintrekker. Filtering water usually takes a while anyways, so why make another step that you have to go through. Subtract the price of the SteriPEN and you've got a really good one-step filter for 160 bucks...Or at least you could think of it that way!

Default not quite

You don't have to filter through another system. Steripen has a mesh kind of filter that fits a wide mouth nalgene bottle that filters ou the big stuff the uv won't work on. It's a piece of cake. Great technology and very light. I used one for the entire hunting season last fall (August through mid-October in the field the whole time)
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

You could let the water sit in a pot or a bucket for a while. Then use the steripen on the clear water. I would being a backup though, in case the lightbulb burnt out or the battery died.