Thread: Looking for information on 19' Grumman

Default Looking for information on 19' Grumman

Can any Grumman gurus tell me anything about this square stern by these numbers:
    #144-M-19S

Basically looking to find year (aluminum thickness) and HP rating, anything else would be bonus.

Oh, and of course, thanks in advance.

Default grumman

some one might be able to tell you the year but I can't do it, the canoe is rated for 5 HP an it will work just fine, but if you want a hunting or fishing rig you will need a 2 cycle 15 HP to do the best work. with a lift, other eng's will work but the 15 HP is the best for the weight, don't worry as you don't use all the HP but some times it will come in handie to steer the canoe up or down a rivers, the smaller the river the better it will work , SID

Default grumman

the M stands for marathon NY the manufacturing plant. I think that it is the thinner .040 hull. If your looking for a .050 for river use your looking for a "G" or a "GP" grumman pennsilvania. their were several plants throughout the years

Default grumman

What part of the state are you in? I know of a .050 for sale and if you look back on previous posts there are several offered for sale

Default Canada

I would like to find the heavier style for river use. I live in Alberta, so unless someone is heading south a long ways with one for sale I will have to look fairly local. I guess shipping is possible but cost would likely be too much. After reading all the threads about these canoes with an outboard I just have to give it a try. I would look at buying a jon boat with a jet setup but can't really spend that much money right now. Looking for a reasonably cheap alternative to get into some good hunting and fishing areas, also the option for car topping it is really appealing.
    Very good forum you guys have going, thanks for sharing.

Default shipping

Shipping is out of control right now. But if you get in a pinch try USHIP.com it is like ebay for shipping.You deal with transportors and people just passing through. More money going to the drivers not the brokers. the numbers you had, were for a specific canoe in your area? if the price were right a thinner one would not be the end of the world.

Default shipping

I'll look into that.
    Those numbers were for one that is in Minnesota, but with some effort I could get it to Alberta for a reasonable rate I think. I really don't want go through the hassles of getting this one if it isn't the thicker hull. If it were local I would likely give it a go, for the $250 price tag, I probably couldn't go wrong as it is in pretty good shape - but with freight??
    How much real world difference will that extra thickness make do you think? Our rivers are rocky bottoms, "sharp rocks" says my cedar strip! I am pretty wimpy when it comes to the rivers anyway, so any extra security would help. Actually, the thought of putting a 15hp on a canoe kinda scares me!

Default 15 hp

Canoes have very slippery hulls, mine flys with a 1960's johnson 3 hp twin cylinder, totally bullet proof, cheap, and parts available,idels down to nothing and still moves the canoe.but all thats in my canoe is fish, no moose! $250 thats a deal, but shipping??? alberta to minnesota thats a road trip, how did you catch wind of that one? the cheapest i have ever seen or heard of is $500 for one that was crushed, needing spars ect.. But maybe they dont have the same value in the lower. search and you will find. good luck!

Default Grumman 19

JTKZ,
    I'm interested in the 19 footer you mentioned that you know is available.

Thanks!
    Rich

Default grumman

what you should do is what I did on the bottom on my canoe [put runners on bottom it sure helps ,I tried to post a photo but my PC won't let me will keep trying

SID

Default Runners

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Gotta go, but I'll be back soon with some more questions.

While on the subject of these Grumman 19's, does anyone know of any for sale in southern MN?

Thumbs up runners on a 19' Grumman

Sid....

You already successfully posted pics of your runner system.... below is the address of that thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=13219

Default 15 hp yamaha

So I found a 2 stroke yamaha in excellent condition, like new, only used once, stored indoors, 4 years old, c/w tank, hose, manual, tube of grease, spare prop (new), for $1350 cdn which is pretty close to the us$ now. How does that sound for price to you guys? If I get it then I'll have to look out for a freighter canoe to put it on, unfortunately the one I found sold to a local. I'll keep looking around.

Thumbs up Yamaha 15 horse 2 stroke

That's what I've been using for 5 years, and am very impressed with. It will need to be a short shaft version, although for a couple hundred dollars in parts, a long shaft can be made into a short shaft.
    Happy trails.

Default yamaha

Yes it is a short shaft, manual start. Should work well for this purpose. Then I'll look at a hydro plane of some sort and a prop guard. Thanks for the input.

Default need to know

you did not say any thing about a lift for the most part the 19 ft with a 10/15 an a lift is the way to go a long gas hose for tank up front,
    there is also acoupple of things more but good luck

SID

Thumbs up Gruman

My G Frighter I use a 9.9 Merc with lift and Rock Hopper Guard........I think its rated at 5HP or 6

I would not put less on mine and dif not a 2HP
    Alaska

Default G Frighter

what ever motor you put on the canoe you do not want a shear pin in the prop you want a slip cluch there, this is for running rivers, lakes it it don't matter, I do not know if the small eng. size have the slip cluch in the prop ,

Sid