Thread: Kenai River Canyon

Default Kenai River Canyon

Anybody know how skilak lake looks? Might have to make some changes on the may 3rd-4th trip if we can't get through the lake with the boats. This is some wierd weather.

Chris

Default im guessing

Not good, its been a week since I was there and it was lower Skilak but id say a no go for the 3rd- 4th without hesitation, we pulled boats across the ice. Would be nice to hear fresh update though. The river below Skilak has only come up 100cu since then too.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 04-27-2008 at 22:38. Reason: more

Default any new news??

anyone happen to see yet how its shaping up for the weekend?

Default Kenai trip still a go

But we may end up camping on the big sand bar above sportsmans and floating to jims landing the second day, or just float all the way to jims in one day and go camp at the upper skilak lake campground. I won't know what the lake is like until friday evening, so I won't be able to inform people until the morning of the launch as to what we will do for sure. It'll be a fun trip either way.

Chris

Default Run the upper river twice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    But we may end up camping on the big sand bar above sportsmans and floating to jims landing the second day, or just float all the way to jims in one day and go camp at the upper skilak lake campground. I won't know what the lake is like until friday evening, so I won't be able to inform people until the morning of the launch as to what we will do for sure. It'll be a fun trip either way.

Chris
    Chris
    We could also run the upper river twice from Kenai lake to Jim's landing and then camp out in a nice warm room at the Princes Lodge. Or camp out at one of the improved camp grounds in the area.

Jim King

Default Skilac

I had to make a run up to Anchorage on Monday, Skilak is white, and Kenai is green, both are clear of snow, but both still look solid, I'll check on Thursday and give you and update, but it's still below freezing every night and only into the 40's during the day, so unless there is a major temp swing not much will change.

Default Skilak... maybe?

I flew to Dillingham yesterday and though most of Skilak was obscured by clouds, it looked like at least the outlet end was open. Could be mistaken though...

Hey, how about you pilots out there? Anyone fly the area lately?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Question Or....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats View Post
    Chris
    We could also run the upper river twice from Kenai lake to Jim's landing and then camp out in a nice warm room at the Princes Lodge. Or camp out at one of the improved camp grounds in the area.

Jim King
    Whatever makes one happy.. I don't think quartz creek campground is open quite yet, but people can park on the boat launch side and walk in, unless it's illegal.. Not too sure. Ahhhh.. Can't wait.
    Chris

Default Quartz Creek camp ground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    Whatever makes one happy.. I don't think quartz creek campground is open quite yet, but people can park on the boat launch side and walk in, unless it's illegal.. Not too sure. Ahhhh.. Can't wait.
    Chris
    Camping out at Quartz Creek solves the "What's for dinner question". Sunrise Lodge is right there with a great restaurant.

I wonder if anyone known’s who has the Key to the Quartz Creek camp ground gate? For such a large group I'm sure if we talk to the right person we get the camp ground opened for us.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

Default Skilak Lake

For those interested, I just got back from the loop at the lake, no visible ice on the lake from either the lower or upper campground. Stopped at the overlook as well, only a few icebergs, but the lake appears to be fully open, the wind was tough. Good Luck