Thread: This pushes thing back

Default This pushes thing back

Man with all this snow. I'm sure Whitter is getting there fair share. So I assuming this will delay things by a couple of weeks. So much for an early spring.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default no snow

In Whittier. Look at the web cams.

Will check it out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile 16B

Looking at the house across the street there is at least a foot of fresh snow on the roof! I am hoping that there is enough fresh snow on the ground out at Birchwood that I might be able to sneak out and find me a black bear in 16B. According to the radar it is clear over there. We will see in the morning.

Drew

BTW the Whittier WX Cam

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php

Really, it does not make that big of a difference. Bears come out according to the photoperiod. It all happens (bears popping out) about the same time every year. May 12-14 seems to be the magic time in PWS. Look through your logs and talk to the graybeards, they will say the same. Some are earlier and some are later. It all depends on how much snow YOU want to wade through. I guarantee the shrimp cannot tell that Whittier has received 40+ feet this year!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I don't know if the snow will change the bear schedule or not but I will be out of state till 17 may and I am hoping to get a blackie this year that isn't all rubbed to pieces when I get back!

Default ??? geeze

You know... I can't read a bears mind... I ain't a biologist...

But I sure know that I don't need to be a weather man to notice - HOLY CRAP that's a lot of snow in one day!
    This should help immensely with avalanches. By "help" I mean make.

Be safe. Good hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Really, it does not make that big of a difference. Bears come out according to the photoperiod. It all happens (bears popping out) about the same time every year. May 12-14 seems to be the magic time in PWS. Look through your logs and talk to the graybeards, they will say the same. Some are earlier and some are later. It all depends on how much snow YOU want to wade through. I guarantee the shrimp cannot tell that Whittier has received 40+ feet this year!
    I was a helicopter mechanic down here in Kenai for quite a while, & we did a lot of flying for F&G.
    Our pilots that flew bear surveys in the spring looking for the 1st "mass movement" of bears with collars in the spring said the same thing. There are a few early bears & a few late bears, but that period around the 13th is THE time, based not on temps or snow, but on the amount of light. I usually figure Mother's Day weekend.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    .......Our pilots that flew bear surveys in the spring looking for the 1st "mass movement" of bears with collars in the spring said the same thing. There are a few early bears & a few late bears, but that period around the 13th is THE time, based not on temps or snow, but on the amount of light. I usually figure Mother's Day weekend.
    May 13 is also right in the height of the moose calf birthing timeline, based not on temps or snow, but on the gestation period of moose cows and the period of moose rut in September, which begins in earnest on or about Sept 25 worldwide (Wyoming, Maine, Canada, Alaska, Sweden, Russia, etc..........)

.........Funny how things seem to run on cycles...............

I guarantee the shrimp cannot tell that Whittier has received 40+ feet this year!
    I can attest to that!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I am headed out (Whittier) tomorrow until Thursday...will post report upon return.

[

Did Whittier really have 40+ feet of snow this winter?? Or was somebody stretching it to make a point?
    Hhounds

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    [

Did Whittier really have 40+ feet of snow this winter?? Or was somebody stretching it to make a point?
    Hhounds
    Harbor master told me they had received 39.5 feet as of 2 weeks ago. My response was that it appears that most of it is still here.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

WOW that is a lot of white stuff. I can't imagine what they do with it in that little tight valley.
    Hhounds

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    WOW that is a lot of white stuff. I can't imagine what they do with it in that little tight valley.
    Hhounds
    Maybe ... Dump it in the bay.