Thread: Guns into the USA?

Default Guns into the USA?

Heading to the Brooks Range in Sept for a Dall/Grizz combo, looking through another site I saw the requirement for a special form to be filled out and accepted prior to taking a firearm into Alaska from Canada. Anybody have any info on where to get the form online? Thanks in advance.

google canadian customs firearm laws, this should answer your questions, good luck on your hunt, I moved to alaska in october and cant wait to try some hunting and fishing, although todays weather makes that seem a long way off.
    Paul

You will need a form"6"
    Go to the ATA website. You will probably need proof of your hunting tags

Us Canadians have nothing to do with it

Calgary guy

i recommend you just show up at the border crossing and declare your long gun (that's canadian for rifle ). the border guards will ask you to bring your rifle into their office, hand you a form 6 to fill out, inspect your weapon (simply to ensure it is the one you declared on your form 6), and send you on your way. there may be a nominal fee, but i don't recall there being one.

you can always search the web for the border crossing post phone number, call them, and ask your question to be 100% certain.

good luck on your hunt

Hopefully the Supreme Court will endorse everyone's Second Amendment rights and put a stop to this nonesense. Ever see a gun law deter a desparate criminal?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    Hopefully the Supreme Court will endorse everyone's Second Amendment rights and put a stop to this nonesense. Ever see a gun law deter a desparate criminal?
    When does the Supreme Court govern Canada?

Canadian Customs can be reached at 867-862-7230. Just ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by forAK View Post
    When does the Supreme Court govern Canada?

Canadian Customs can be reached at 867-862-7230. Just ask them.
    I mean on the US side obviously though Canada's Supreme Court is quite left-wing. Just yesterday they banned the use of sniffing dogs to pick up pot in high school lockers.

I agree with Berto. I have done it several times and is not a problem. THere is a fee but not sure how much. Canadian customs and US customs have always been super to me. Having a military ID and passport might make the difference. J.

Ive been across the border multiple times the last 5 years and the best thing to do is get on the customs web site print out the form and have it filled out before u get there and when you stop at customs hand them the form with ur passport. There is a fee last time it was $25 and a couple times they just lookd at the form and sent me on my way without even looking at the gun(s). They like it a lot more when ur preparied it seems to be less of a hassle. I have been taken in and searchd too it just depends on the mood of the customs agent. Good luck on your hunt.

Thumbs up Ship the thing

Shipping is just as easy with no hassle. I have been across the border on several occasions with different results. Earlier post, It depends on thier mood of the day. I have been passed right through with no hassle and then on another occasion have been held up an hour.
    I will suggest a (Certificate of Origination) on anything of value you take into Canada. Google it and it will fill you in on what it is and why you should have one for your goods. It's simple to fill out at the border and could save a major hassle when coming back to the states.
    For shipping info here is a link. http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html
    Check the bottom part of the page.
    Good Luck
    On another note make sure you talk with your outfitter on the proper forms for taking meat through Canada as well. You best bet is to contact both US and Canada before you go to avoid major hassles. You know how things are and laws seem to change every day.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!