Thread: Ground Blind for Black Bears???

Question Ground Blind for Black Bears???

Does anyone use a ground blind while baiting blackies?? A black bear with a bow from the ground would be very intense I think, just not sure how crazy it is.........What are your thoughts??
    DJ

Default RE: ground blind

wouldnt that be considered a snack shack for the Bears???

They work fine. It's fairly popular in some parts of Canada. We have used them on incoming trails with good success because some bears are very shy to come straight to the bait.

Talking We hunt a ground blind

One of my hunting partners uses a ground blind. We've hunted it for 7 years it's intense but fun. I shot my first Black bear there at 15 yards. Not fun when you walk in on a brown bear or have one walk in 15 feet behind you but what an awesome experience and videos when you can watch black bears at less than 20 yards on the ground or have them walk up to the blind and look at you then go to the bait. We sit in lawn chairs behind a brush pile we made out of spruce limbs on a small hill above the bait. Me, I prefer my tree stand but will sit with him at his sight so he'll have back up if needed and we get great videos at his bait being that close and on the ground.

Thumbs down Ground Station

When I first was going to set-up a Black Bear Baiting Station a couple of years ago, money was tight. So, I was thinking that I would put my son in the tree stand (14 years old) and me in the ground station. I sucked it up and purchased two tree stands. We were in our TREE STANDS one time a 7 foot brown and her (two) 2 1/2 cubs flew into the bait station. Mom at one point charged my sons tree and stood up. He could smell her breath. There is more to the story! On the drive back to Anchorage he said that I would have look cute sitting in that ground station blind and it was time to go fishing. You can't stop the brown's from hitting your bait station. You will be food! DON"T DO IT!!!! Be Safe!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KPGarrow1st View Post
    ....We were in our TREE STANDS one time a 7 foot brown and her (two) 2 1/2 cubs flew into the bait station. Mom at one point charged my sons tree and stood up. He could smell her breath. There is more to the story! On the drive back to Anchorage he said that I would have look cute sitting in that ground station blind and it was time to go fishing. You can't stop the brown's from hitting your bait station. You will be food! DON"T DO IT!!!! Be Safe!!
    DITTO!!

You cannot control what bears come into your bait.

If it's a brown bear sow with young cubs and you're in a ground blind, you might have to shoot her, THEN THE ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS WILL USE THE STORY TO FURTHER ATTACK BEAR BAITING.

Please don't take this risk..........

Default bait

I baited the same cubby for several years, mind you I hunt well off the ground them brownies scare me, but in 4 years I never had a brown one eat or hold on a pile of donuts. I have had track 100 feet from it down the trail but never seen one on my bait. That is why I don't use a meat based bait, besides I had a guy tell me once you feed em what you want them to taste like, a big piece of berry pie,mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Talking Very Interesting to say the least

I've hunted from a ground blind for the past 7 years. Both natural and store bought. If you choose to do it here is a couple of tips. Sent is critical for both you and the blind, so is your bait. No meat or fish parts. Keep the brownies temptaions down to a min. I've taken several blacks with a bow and a handgun from ground blinds and it is very intence. I've had two bears stick there heads in the blind with me, and one tear a whole in the back of the blind while I was in it just being currious. I havn't taken a defence shot while baiting and don't plan on it anytime soon. I place my blinds about 35 yds away from the bait. I don't leave my store bought blinds in the woods "THEY WILL GET EATEN". Every bear that has come in knew the blind was there and at least circled it before going to the bait. Baiting from the ground can be done and it will be exciting but you have to know yourself and be willing sit quietly with bears as close as three feet from you. Your in their house and are playing by their rules. I didn't start out to bait from the ground there just isn't any trees large enough to but a stand in anywhere around where I bait.

John

Default Just in case...

Just in case Mr Griz does make an appearance, have a buddy or two along for backup.

Default Ground Blind

used one last year. but while watching the other direction, my buddy tapped me on the shoulder. had a angry sow with cub 5 yards away staring us down. we were in the "path" of her hide out. needless to say, we went to the trees later that week.

Default ground bears

I grew up in trees hunting whitetails. Dont much like it. I have had great success hunting black bears from the ground. I clear my trail so that I can stalk to within 15-20 yards of the bait. I tie down a spruce bow over my in-trail so that it is touches the ground and the top is no more than three feet off the ground. Once the bears are hitting it, I go in and bait at the same time every day and make plenty of noise going in, baiting , and going out, and do so on a different trail than my stalking trail. I go back to the truck and have some coffee and a half hour later I stalk in to my "blind".

Often, if a dominant boar has claimed the bait, he will store up within earshot of the bait. He'll pattern you and go in soon after you leave... and sometimes immediately. Dont put too much bait so that he looks forward to dinner time. It has worked VERY well for me. {SHHH... dont tell anyone or EVERYONE will be doing it!! LOL}

Also, if in a good area but no activity yet, using trails other than the ones you use to go in and out, take some walks in likely directions and either take an extra pair of old boots you can bag up and cover with grease, or just a drag rag with lots-o-scent and create drag or scent trails leading away from the bait. Chances are good they will smell the trail or even cut your trail and follow it into your bait. I once want having any hits for a week and a half, and did the fryer grease on boots routine and hiked three miles up the river bottom from my bait. Three days later I had at least a half dozen different bears on my bait. Just dont wear those boot on your trail out!!!