Thread: Boating / Fishing question

Default Boating / Fishing question

Bought a 20' Jet boat last fall. I bought it with intentions of fishing the ocean (Homer/Seward/Whittier) on calm days, fishing the rivers when the salmon are running and the seas are rough, and fishing some of the larger lakes. I've fished offshore with several charters and always caught a lot of fish. I don't have the same range with my boat, but if I can catch 1/2 the fish I will be happy. My only experience with rivers has been fishing off the road system. That is the main reason I bought the boat. I have a hard time standing side by side with hundreds of folks. Can a person expect to find good fishing, without large crowds, a short distance from deshka landing? I've heard that the crowds are bad during the king run, but how about in the middle of the week? Also, trolling, bottom fishing, mooching and jigging in the ocean are fairly simple techniques. I've read about the specialized techniques of fishing for salmon along the rivers and wonder how many fishless trips we'll have. I have 2 young kids and a wife I'd like to keep interested in fishing and boating. They can cast Pixies and vibrax ok, but drifting eggs and such won't be happening. We can catch a lot of Pinks, but haven't been overly successful on the the tastier salmon.

Right now I'm trying to get geared up and am wondering if I'll end up in the ocean most of the time or if good fishing with light crowds is to be had off the MatSu river System? I suppose there have been many who have been through this previously and can help.

Thanks

Default Well

I fish the rivers (mainly Lake Creek) for Kings, then it is off to Whittier for the rest of the summer.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Looking at my post I realize it is wordy and not to the point. I'm not able to edit it so -- The question is, how does the salmon fishing, accessible by jet boat, on the Mat-Sue river system compare with offshore fishing. # of salmon per day, crowds, ease of fishing, etc. Sorry if you read my first post and felt it wasted your time.

i prefer my salmon from salt water. i don't end up with many kings because i go out of whittier, but reds in main bay can be like fishing ship creek,rude people anchor right where your casting,but i can go in and within an hour have the daily limit and move away to go for butt and rock fish. this year i'm going to seward for my kings, use to do it a few years ago so it won't be that bad. love the taste os salt water salmon, and then there are more fish to go after when you limit out. i don't like jet boats out in the salt water even though there are many who use them. it is just designed for rivers.

Default akfun

Are they rude or just ignorant. I know what you mean about the jerks that can't seem to park outside your casting range. They act like you know something they don't ( which we do, how to be courteous) I have had them almost run into our boat as they troll past. They usually get a tangle for that one.

no they are asses, i'm a easy going person so i ask them to move. if i get a rude response then thing will go down hill fast. if the get abusive then the bottom drops out. when i pull up somewhere and there is alot of boats i tend to wait to see where the open areas are then move there not disturbing anyone. i have seen people come flying in on step and **** near hit boats just to drop an anchor 10' off someones transom. you guys need to rember this is boat fishing not combat fishing, if thats what you want i can do combat fishing but does anyone want to go there? people need some common coutesey for others, i try i know i do not own any more or less of the water than anyone else. you are not a king or owner of the water and fish so please just try to respect others.

Deshka River.....Alaska 1st combat fishing area for boats. Boat fenders are a must and be ready to fend off the over zealous. Further up river things thin out but boat traffic can really put a damper on your fishing.

Lake Creek...Alaksa's #2 boat combat fishing area. There are also some special quirks with Lake Creek also.....the ability to disconnect from anchor, leaving your anchor on buoy. The guides can be quite rude and the inexperienced who rent boats from the lodges can make things quite hairy at times. I have had both guides and others pass me within spitting distance on step or worse, making the biggest wake possible. Fighting your fish going down river makes it neccessary to "know the river" to stay out of trouble.

Is this combat fishing mainly during the king run? Do the crowds go away or come back for silvers?

My experience is pretty much whenever. Used to be you could go up river and fish. We used to do that. If folks asked , which is only ploite we would say sure we are right here come on this side and if your egg fishin float your eggs where we aren't casting. We prefer not to float eggs, too many little trout get caught incedintally.
    Then it got so that there were so darn many "boaters" Just running back and forth. The fish get all spooky. It wasn't so bad when they closed it at night. I would get up the first boat that went by and catch my fish and by 10am it was just a zoo. People anchoring right in the hole so if you hooked a fish you couldn't play it cause they have an anchor line in the way and boy no way were they gonna pull it for ya. I have never been able to handle the prop stopper line, horse 'em in, get it done mentallity, so don't fish the mouth. And with it the way it is we have moved on, PWS here we come. If I see ya I will choose another spot, may watch a bit to get some tips, but won't park on ya. Sad to hear that Main Bay is like that but sort of expected it might be. What happened to common decency Guess it went out with gettin a good smack in the head when ya didn't mind you manners

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Is this combat fishing mainly during the king run? Do the crowds go away or come back for silvers?
    King run especially and it is even pretty busy during the week(forgot to say that earlier). Alot more guide boats also. This is for both areas.

Silvers can be rather busy on weekends at Deshka but not near the headache like king season. Lake Creek can be pretty busy but not near the headaches of king season. During the week things tend to be a little less hectic sometimes.

Also forget to mention the king limits....1 per person per day, two in possesion. ADF&G over the last 2 years has raised the limit to 2 & 4.
    If ADF&G predictions pan out this year you could see some pretty empty river days as they are saying the return could be dismal because of the past floods.

The Su drainage is a great fishery that most times is poorly managed. They increase the commercial catch at the mouth but we have no gain in our sport bag, except for those special years. Now they are not going to be using the weir on the Deshka, so now we will not have a clue as to what this wild fish return will be. Lake Creek has no management. They "sample" the lower river and I also think the funding for that site has been lost this year. We are going backwards in our management of our fish resources as we are putting more stress on those resources. Sorry I will get off my soapbox.

Thanks for the help. I figured I would spend a fair amount of time in the salt and was wondering if there are any compelling reasons to go up the deshka rather than go to Seward for kings and silvers. Might have to get a different boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Deshka River.....Alaska 1st combat fishing area for boats. Boat fenders are a must and be ready to fend off the over zealous. Further up river things thin out but boat traffic can really put a damper on your fishing.

Lake Creek...Alaksa's #2 boat combat fishing area. There are also some special quirks with Lake Creek also.....the ability to disconnect from anchor, leaving your anchor on buoy. The guides can be quite rude and the inexperienced who rent boats from the lodges can make things quite hairy at times. I have had both guides and others pass me within spitting distance on step or worse, making the biggest wake possible. Fighting your fish going down river makes it neccessary to "know the river" to stay out of trouble.
    I would have to agree with you and akfun. I fish early Deshka and then lake creek.

Lake Creek has gotten better with the guides. Most will share info with you and if you treat them with kindness they return it. The problem is some of the tourist disregard our regulations. There were some germans, Hans I think was his name and I saw him haul out 3 kings a day and he was there for 3 weeks. Finally last year the brown shirts caught up with him and his crew. It was good to have the brown shirts back on the rivers.

akfun, jets in PWS are just fine too. I have done a lot out there, although it does get a little rough in nasty weather.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

sorry akbass, i did not mean that they do not work, i have seen alot of them out there. i just do not personaly care t ride a jet boat in the ocean. have been on someone's boat and the ride was less than ideal. water often turns when you are on the water i prefer to have a prop in the water than a stream of water, jets are great for rivers but i prefer a prop in the ocean. just my personal preferance, but they do work. i got hooked on salt water fishing, first time i caught a king, second when i hooked a mirror red and ate them. i would rather catch all the fish in the ocean than in the rivers, before i had a boat i was a river fisherman and surf fishing was all i had. i like fishing where you see 1 or 2 boats go by. finding a new peace in fishing that i have missed. the beauty of pws is medicine for the soul. just my thoughts. jeff

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    sorry akbass, i did not mean that they do not work, i have seen alot of them out there. i just do not personaly care t ride a jet boat in the ocean. have been on someone's boat and the ride was less than ideal. water often turns when you are on the water i prefer to have a prop in the water than a stream of water, jets are great for rivers but i prefer a prop in the ocean. just my personal preferance, but they do work. i got hooked on salt water fishing, first time i caught a king, second when i hooked a mirror red and ate them. i would rather catch all the fish in the ocean than in the rivers, before i had a boat i was a river fisherman and surf fishing was all i had. i like fishing where you see 1 or 2 boats go by. finding a new peace in fishing that i have missed. the beauty of pws is medicine for the soul. just my thoughts. jeff
    I know exactly what you mean! I lasted 2 years. That is why I am looking at a 30ft Sea Ray with twin inbds!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469