Thread: POW black bear

Default POW black bear

I will be going on my first black bear hunt on May 2nd at the south end of POW. I am being dropped off via floatplane with zodiak and sat phone and camp basics. I am going to be hunting with a .300 WSM with a .454 casull for backup.
    I have read a lot of the older posts on POW bear hunting and have learned a great deal from them, especially on field judging bears. I plan on having a great time and my only concern so far is to keep my wife from finding out that I will be by myself!
    Any tips on how to get the most out of my trip would be great, or things that i should be concerned about.

Is there any fishing? Salmon, steelhead, or trout? recommended fishing gear to bring?

Are there mosquitoes this time of year? I heard they were the state bird.

I would concentrate on bear hunting. Its a little early for salmon but there are steelhead in some streams right now. Usually fish for them with a bead pegged a few inches higher than a single hook, 18" above the bead use a split shot. Works for flyrod or spin casters. The beads represent salmon eggs so egg flies will work too. Have a good variety of colors pinks, oranges, creams and reds seem to work best. Also get some frost or ivory nail polish and paint a few with a thin coat to get a natural appearence. Steelheads are not in every river up hear so do some research for your area. Its snowing like mad in Anchorage today bugs shoundn't be a issue. However you may want to have some deet just in case. Like I said before I would spend alot of time glassing and checking for sign, not chasing fish. Good luck though. Why are you going by yourself? Are you in a cabin or tent? It can be a little chilly at night have a good sleeping bag reguardless. Hope you do well buddy!

I was in the woods yesterday, the bugs are coming out in Ketchikan.

I was going to Ketchikan on a business trip and i was going to spend an extra week there to go hunting. I couldnt find anyone willing to fly up there with me because of the cost. Then my business trip was cancelled, so i had to find a cheap ticket up there. I was planning a DIY trip and after adding it all up (100/day for truck, 100/day for a skiff, and 100/day for a hotel room) it was about the same price to have an outfitter fly me in to a remote spot. The outfitter only had one permit left anyway. Should be fun. It the bears aren't out yet I will have a fun camping trip in beautiful country.

Default POW

You should have a great trip, I very seriously considered doing exactly what you are but decided on Cabin on nothwestern part of island, with a partner, end of May this year. I want to be able to see the island (first trip to AK) so I wanted to be mobile. My second trip I will do what you are doing. Good luck if you are going with RDM they have a GREAT reputation, I am sure others are good. Are you going to bait? New laws will make it tough.

Default POW

Our black bear mantra is "No bugs - no bears". Make sure you take a headnet & good insect repellant.

Good hunting.

Default Backup

Fishhunter, with the .300 Short mag, I don't think you'd need the .454 for back up, save yourself some weight, you should be good with just the rifle.

I went last year and stayed in Thorne Bay. It was my first trip and I'm not an expert by any stretch.

I brought my daughter and tried to sight see, fish and hunt bears. Result: no bear. At least my daughter caught a king salmon and we did have a great time.

I agree with the others, focus in bears until one is down. Flesh it very, very good and salt it down. After that, which could be on day one, fish till your arm hurts.

Bring bug spray, a couple of 55 gallon drums. One day we'd have no bugs and the next they tried to carry my daughter off. Frankly it wasn't too bad but whenever it warmed up it got bad.

I admire you going alone as long as you have all the right gear. Next time I go that's how I want to do it so the focus can be on bears.

PLEASE post an After Action Report and tell us how you did.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Fishhunter, with the .300 Short mag, I don't think you'd need the .454 for back up, save yourself some weight, you should be good with just the rifle.
    Agreed. After a long walk, that .454 will triple in weight. It's a strange phenomenon known to those who hunt. You should be fine with just the rifle.

Only 4 days to go!!
    I was not going to bait. Just spot from the boat and stalk when I see one that looks big. What is the exact definition of baiting? Can I leave some bacon grease on a log and check it every day? What about a honey burn?
    Thanks for the tips!

-Eric

Are you an AK resident?? Check the hunting regs, I believe that a black bear is a "big game" animal and you may need a guide unless you are a resident. It is required that to bait bears that you complete an ADF certified bear baiting clinic. The bait site must be registered and cleaned completely (including soiled dirt) when the hunting is done. Check the regs closely before getting started

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Are you an AK resident?? Check the hunting regs, I believe that a black bear is a "big game" animal and you may need a guide unless you are a resident. It is required that to bait bears that you complete an ADF certified bear baiting clinic. The bait site must be registered and cleaned completely (including soiled dirt) when the hunting is done. Check the regs closely before getting started
    Fish-hunter, there should be no guide necessary unless you are brown bear hunting.....

Default right

But I would forget the bacon grease or honey burn.

Messy, not completley leagal in your case, & not worth it.