Thread: POW Dungeness Fishing how to

Default POW Dungeness Fishing how to

I am heading down to POW to work on my lot for a week in May and was considering trying to get a few crabs (the type living in the ocean). I am driving a boat and truck down to leave there so I figured I should get some fishing in. I will be in coffman cove (but spending 2 days in Wrangell). Any ideas where to get a pot and supplies? Depths? What to look for? Any help would be appreciated.

Gooch

Gooch, if you're coming thru Ketchikan pick up your pot and supplies at Walmart or Murray Pacific.

I look for mud/sand areas 50-75 ft.

kingfisherktn

Default Buy pot in Wrangell

Hey there,
    I think pots run about ~$110 for commercial dungeness style at Ottenson's True value in Wrangell and they should be able to outfit you with everything else you need. Sentry Hardware in Wrangell will also have a selection and is worth a look. The most common depth for dungy in the area is 10 fathoms though some people go up to 30. Look for Sandy bottoms and make sure when your throwing your pot to align the trap doors parallel to the bank so that if you landed on an incline the doors won't swing open and remain open. Good luck.

Default Thanks guys!

Great tips. I will purchase my stuff in Wrangell if the store is open. Unfortunately I will be there on Saturday evening, all day Sunday and Monday before heading to POW. Hopefully the store is open Sunday.

Bait - any thoughts? Herring?

I guess the first question I would have is what kind of boat do you have for getting around with. Since I no longer fish down there and don't care who knows of the grounds I used to commercial fish on, here is where I would go for some awesome dungi fishing around Wrangell. King George, right in front of the creek and a little south towards the reef. Set the pots right at the top of edge of the bank, should be about 35 feet or so deep. You'll get really really nice golden belly crab. There's plenty of shoreline there to support at least a string of 50 to 60 pots so your sportsfishing qty. will fit in there just fine.

Bait... see if anyone is bringing in some halibut, halibut heads make superb hanging bait. Do everyone a favor though and don't use floating line, make sure you get lead-line.

Also, Meter Bite across the channel is a great spot to fish for crab as well, same depth, same top edge of the bank.

I pulled thousands of pounds out of there year after year commercial fishing, you'll find em.