Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou in the Brook Refuge.

Question Caribou in the Brook Refuge.

I'm looking at a hunt in the Brook refuge. The Outfitter seems to want to nickle and dime it. Is the Brook that good or should we look else where..

Oh... after all said and done it will cost $6000.00 for the hunt and that is one animal...?

Thanks guys,,,

that is about equal to 20 trips up the haul road. say i'm a less fortunate hunter, so I only bag one half the time. Thats 10 caribou, and 10 years (2 hunts a year) worth of hunting for $6000.

Default Ouch!

Yeah, definitely look at other options unless you married an old woman with a large bank account and a failing heart!

My suggestion is to do it unguided if you want to really save money. If you do the research you can be successful with these animals. Type "Caribou" in to the search tool and you'll have several days worth of valuable reading material. By the end you should have a very good idea of how to plan a great hunt.

-HT

Default Call someone else

That's very high quote. You can get a guided hunt for about 4800$ or an Outfitted hunt for about half of that.

Terry

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by estex View Post
    I'm looking at a hunt in the Brook refuge.
    I would avoid that Brook Refuge. It sounds expensive. I've heard that good caribou can be found in parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge however.

Is this guided? Outfitted? Fly in?
    You need to provide more info before we can criticize your present choice.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Brooks Caribou Hunt

Call Mike at Alaska Bush Sports, I think he is about half that price. I hunted with him last year and four of us shot six caribou in two days. One scored around 380 inches, but his hunt is a fly in drop off deal. He runs a great outfit and I will be hunting with him again this fall. Phone# is 1-800-557-4248 Good Luck and have fun.

Default Thats Outragous!!!!

For that price you could hunt Africa. all inclusive accomodations with all the beer and fine wine everynight with a package for (3 animals included) Trophy Springbok, Blesbok, and Black or Blue Wildebeest, and still have enough to by a round trip ticket to Johannesberg. Who's the outfitter anyway? It must be a 1x1 guided fly-in hunt, that I could understand....CK

$6k for ONE caribou? Rip-off. Look elsewhere.

Default I second Alaska Bush Sports

Took the son up there last year and had a great hunt. Check archives, alot of positive comments.

Terry

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys...

here is the details

Its a 2x1 guided hunt. Fly in.... Cook...you don't touch the animal ( but I killed it I CLEAN IT).... Elecrtic camp...ect

I'm finding out more as I quiz the guy. if we want to kill an extra animal its $1200 for tag moving camp. hauling the meat back ect as he puts it.(Trying to make it sound like a big deal)

I feel the same way..RIP OFF!! My dad is 71yrs old and will get on his nartic-trac and go for 90 mins sometime. Me I get on there and kick the skies out and kill the cat...We elk hunt every chance we get. A friend of his has 21,000 acres in Colorado so its not like we can't hunt and I'm ass-u-meing its open range out there and not to much climbimg like in the mountains. I asked him about Non-guided hunts and he has them but it sounds like he'll take to NO-MANS land and drop you off and..Good Luck!

What else should ask about?

Default Additional items

For that kind of money for a caribou, I would expect a bunch of Jim Beam with ice, hookers and daily rub downs. A caribou hunt is not that hard if there animals around. If you quarter it your self, that most of the work.

Just my 2 cents

Default yow

I am going back to the brooks this year....again. I am getting dropped off about 100 miles in the brooks..... the prop time to fly in and the back haul of the meat back to anchorage will run me about $1,200.....based on 2 hunters splitting costs...

keep asking questions to not only your potential guide but OTHERS as well......

be wary on this one.

Greg

Default Guided Bou?

A guided caribou hunt? That doesn't even make sense to me. They are a fairly easy animal to hunt. Your transporter just needs to know where there at and stick you in the right spot. Anything you need to know about hunting them you can learn right here in this forum. I wouldn't spend more than $1500 per person, and paying for a guide is NOT worth $6000! Way more fun solo or with a buddy anyway.

Default don't do it

as others have stated, caribou hunting doesn't need a guide. for a good unguided drop off, you should be able to do a full hunt in alaska for around $2 grand. alaska airlines services bethel and you can drop in to caribou areas from there or you can fly out of fairbanks into the brooks range. there are plenty of good animals if you can keep your finger off the trigger. you should count on seeing several most days, plenty of trial and error with the stalking part and some good meat and a nice rack to go home with. keep checking around.
    hope you guys have a lot of fun. caribou hunting is a blast

wow...I thought I was brakin' the bank. Going out on my first ever fly out hunt this year after being in AK all of my 39 years. Flying out of Bettles 130 miles each way with one hunting partner in a Beaver for $2300.00 apiece. A friend clued me in on the location and his first trip in was 7 yrs ago. Same bush service charged $1600.00 apiece for two back then. Gotta love the fuel prices now a days eh?

Default Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    A guided caribou hunt? That doesn't even make sense to me. They are a fairly easy animal to hunt. Your transporter just needs to know where there at and stick you in the right spot. Anything you need to know about hunting them you can learn right here in this forum. I wouldn't spend more than $1500 per person, and paying for a guide is NOT worth $6000! Way more fun solo or with a buddy anyway.
    I agree I want to do it solo or with my dad. I just really can't define spending that much when I know I can hunt myself. What about bow hunting for them I haven't shot a deer with a rifle in sometime (other than a doe for meat). I'm sure its just about the same as everything when it comes to bow hunting. Thats why I want 2 animals. 1 with a rifle to sure I get one and the get 1 with a bow. i think I'm going to call this Alaska bush sport

Guys, thanks for the info. Anyone want to come to Texas and hog or Deer hunt come on...the beer is cold and BBQ spice or can you Northerners handle a Jalapeno or better yet Habanero/ Texas pickle. haha

Default Just a thought

I've heard some good things about these guys . Type "rust's flying services" in your search engine. I know that they used to fly out to King Salmon. Lots of boos out there and some good fishing on the Naknak. Happy hunting. E.S.

Default 2008 or 2009?

Estex - are you looking at this year, or next? Gettin down to the wire on getting flights into the bush if it's this year, no worries for 9 tho.

The challenging part about bowhunting caribou is they don't stand still very long, and if you're hunting in the Brooks Range (and possibly also some areas out of Bethel) there's no cover to really conceal your stalk; fairly easy to get within rifle range, bowhunting for bou is another challenge altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Estex - are you looking at this year, or next? Gettin down to the wire on getting flights into the bush if it's this year, no worries for 9 tho.

The challenging part about bowhunting caribou is they don't stand still very long, and if you're hunting in the Brooks Range (and possibly also some areas out of Bethel) there's no cover to really conceal your stalk; fairly easy to get within rifle range, bowhunting for bou is another challenge altogether.

We are looking at 09' So I think I'm going to take y'alls advise and look more into it. So the more info is greatful. I would like to have a few more phone #s of outfitters that fly you in "and will move you if there aren't any there" that you guys use.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast