Thread: 35 Whelen Bullets

Default 35 Whelen Bullets

I am planning my 6th do it yourself elk hunt to Colorado in 2009. I have used a 338 win. mag. with 225 Barnes X to take a 5 x 5. I have a 35 Whelen I used on another hunt to take a 6 x 6 useing the 250 Barnes X. All with satisfactory results.

I am going to lend my 35 to another hunter for this trip but the 250 Barnes X is no longer available. I like 250 grains for shooting at difficult angles. I have 250 Speer, Hornady, and Nosler Partitions in inventory. My whelen can push the barnes at 2700 fps with 66 grains of H 414.

I like to use bullets with a high B.C. because I am capable of making a 300 yard + shot. Especially on an elk size target. I shoot crows and groundhogs at that range during the summer.

Please share your knowledge and recommendations.

Thank You

Jagerbob-

I loved the 250gr Partitions out of my Whelen for my Newfoundland moose.

Ballistic coefficient is .446

If you can get a muzzle velocity of 2650 ft/sec:

Sight in for 3.5 inches high at 100 yards, it never gets higher than 4" (and that's at 150 yards), and that will put you dead on @ 250 yards (2,639 ft./lbs.).

4.7" low at 300 yards (2,430 ft./lbs.)
    11.3" low at 350 yards (2,235 ft. lbs)

On my Newfoundland moose at 210 yards, on a quartering away shot, it penetrated from the last rib to exit in front of the shoulder (about 4-4.5 feet of penetration).

Quote Originally Posted by jagerbob View Post
    I like to use bullets with a high B.C. because I am capable of making a 300 yard + shot. Especially on an elk size target. I shoot crows and groundhogs at that range during the summer.
    Dude, if you're hitting crows at 300 yards with a 35 Whelen then you're probably all squared away and there isn't much advice we could give you. I'm partial to the 250 grain Speer Grand Slam in my 35 Whelen.

Any of the 250 grain bullets will work. I have used the speer to satisfaction on several occasions. But man I must say I could never get 2700 FPS with any 250 grain in my whelens!

Thumbs up 250 Speer Spitzer

I use the 250 Speer Spitzer in my 35 Whel and 350 Mag..........with Reloader 15.....with excellent results........same here but in the 2500 FPS range.
    Alaska

How about Barnes Tripple X bullets, 225 gr?

Sounds like all the bullets you have will work well in the velocity range of your Whelen. The only difference would be which one does that particular rifle like best.
    I sorta like the 225 grain Kodiak bonded bullets by the Alaskan Bullet works in Juneau.
    But you already have the slugs that you are familiar with...
    2,700 fps is cooking right along for a 250 grain slug out of a Whelen. What type of pressure signs are you seeing on the brass? That is close to 358 Norma Magnum velocity.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

2700 for a 250 grainer has to be over pressure. From what I have read you need to drop down in bullet weight to get expansion from barnes. Anyone have experience with 250 barnes in the whelen? I would try a 225 in barnes or a 250 partition or any standard 250 grain. My .35 gibbs performs well with hornady 250 rn at about 2660fps.

N.P. should work fine. My son shot an elk on Raspberry Island with a 225 gr at some 200 yd and it dropped like a hot potato. Best accuracy is at 2750 out of a 22" tube for my 35 Whelen Imp. 2700 fps for a 250 gr. sounds definitely on the warm side to me...at least it would be for my rifle. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    How about Barnes Tripple X bullets, 225 gr?
    X2

That's what I use in mine for moose, I'm sure it will work on elk!