Thread: Drive From Anchorage To Homer late June

Default Drive From Anchorage To Homer late June

Hi guys,

Im going from Anchorage to Homer on June 29th with my brother, girlfriend and a friend of mine. We have never been to Alaska before. We're going to leave an hour before sunrise in hopes that we can view the sunrise from the Portage Glacier.

I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions of where to stop to take some good pictures?

In my mind, EVERY thing is going to be scenic, but Im sure there are certain spots that are nicer than others?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

You're gonna be getting up early to do that. Sun rises at about 4 am that time of year. However, it's bound to take a while for it to get high enough to clear the mountains in that area.

Lots of places to get scenery shots on that drive. Just about any wide spot in the road will do fine. The first 30 miles are quite spectacular if the tide's in. Somewhat strange when it's out. There's a couple of not-so-high mountain passes along the way that are very scenic. A detour to Hope, and another to Seward would be nice. The section from where you leave the Kenai River near Skilak Lake until you get nearly to Homer are boring to me though.

During the first part of the drive keep an eye out for Dall sheep ewes and lambs on the hillside, Often close to the road. Cars will often stop to look. (Remember to not be "that guy" who stops in the road and blocks traffic while taking pictures). Further along you will see more sheep, but they likely will be further up the mountian and not presenting a good photo op. You will probably see several moose, so you can be a bit selective in which ones you photograph. On the drive down to Homer there are large pull outs along the way that you can use to get pics of the mountians on the other side of the inlet.

Along with all the other good suggestions, consider the possibility of checking the tide book to see if there will be a bore tide in Turnagain Arm on the day of your trip. I don't have a current tide book with me right now to pass on the info. The sight and sound of a bore tide rushing into the arm can be spectacular.

Dobber

Down by the Sterling Hwy cutoff, if you look up to the left you'll probably see some goats. Fish and Game may be set up down there with their spotting scopes to help aid in seeing them. Try to hit a clear day so you can see the volcanoes across Cook Inlet between Soldotna and Homer. It really is a beautiful drive.
    EricL

Smile Photo stops

At Portage turn RIGHT to wild animals display.

deep creek bluff at sunset is pretty awesome
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.