Thread: Kings kasilof vs Kenai

Default Kings kasilof vs Kenai

july 16-20th. Would useing a raft 14 ft work for kings on the kasilof?

I have never fished Kasilof other than up by tustimena (spelling)??) and I would like to take my in laws for kings other than on the kenai!

Am I better off sticking to the herds of boats on the kenai or does anyone think kasilof is worth a shot??

Also any suggestions would be great! I have a 16' boat ,a raft and hopefully soon a 20' Koffler. Any help would be great. Just looking to show some Okie's what alaskan fishing is all about.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Sunday and Monday

Monday is no motor boat day for fishing on the Kenai.
    its a great day to drift in a raft or drift boat.
    there will be some folks in power boats moving on the river sightseeing, or stopping to shore fish for sockeye, but no motor boat fishing for monday.
    Sunday is No Guide day, and you can sometimes get some relief there, but you need to realize that power boats will be still be plentiful on sunday.
    Kasilof is a good river, but the drifting in a raft is just that,,, drifting.
    the best option is a drift boat, so you can hold in the holes. I have done ok on the kasilof just drifting, but its a short drift unless you stop and get out along the way.
    I had a guy working out of our campground some years ago that used to guide on the Kasilof out of a raft, " Monte Roberts" and he is a powerful man, he would attempt to hold his 14 foot raft in the holes to backtroll.
    He could do it for a few minutes,, but it requires so much energy to hold a raft back in moving water..
    Anyway.. do the Kenai on Monday, start at Centenial and get out at either Eagle rock,or if the tide is going out, you can go down river to Cunningham park.. it is a haul to get your boat up the beach, but if you have 4 guys, and unload your raft, you can carry it up the beach to the car.
    Done it lots and lots of times..
    Used to actually use Cunningham park to launch from years ago.
    you just backed into the river back then.. now they closed off the car access to the beach so no more of that.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default great advice

I did not even think of the raft for fishing lower kenai! Do you think it is possible to use a anchor to help hold you in some hole's on lower kenai. So that you can turn 8 miles into a 8 hour day!

I dont have a raft frame just a plan raft! I think it will hold be back but hey toughing it out for a fish or two is worth it!

How long is the Centennial to Cunningham float?

LONG..... about eleven river miles give or take.

Sockeye sonar at RM 19 and king sonar at RM 8.6 for reference.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Kenai defiantely, there just aren't that many late run kings in the Kasilof
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Kenai

So what type of anchor do I need for a 14' raft? Also who is ready for some warm weather, cold beer, big or little fish and some long summer days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Not so sure that is so true.....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Kenai defiantely, there just aren't that many late run kings in the Kasilof
    Ummmm, Ok.....Sure.... Yeah... I think if I where going to fish that time frame w/ a small boat I would go the the Kasilof.... less crowds, big fish, no motors...

To anchor a small 14' raft on ther river I would suggest an anchor system... This could be a unadvisable idea in faster area's of the Kenai.... I would certainly check out the Kasilof...

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Ummmm, Ok.....Sure.... Yeah... I think if I where going to fish that time frame w/ a small boat I would go the the Kasilof.... less crowds, big fish, no motors...
    Hey, we agree on something!

The only real "issue" with the Kasilof is that aside from the few up river holes where the fish will hold, most of the truly good spots on the Kasilof are tidal dependent. If you don't know how the river runs with the tides and don't know where to be and when, it can make for a frustrating day for the unexperienced.

Likewise, if you don't know where the traveling lanes are, missing that spot by a foot either way can lead you to a ZERO fish day...where the boat anchored up right next to you hooks and lands dozens of fish.

Lastly, success in the Kasilof during that time is really regulated by the commercial sockeye net fishery. If they are allowing EO's on sockeye at that time and are netting in or around the mouth of the Kasilof, the kings all but "magically disappear" out of that river. Take the nets away, and the numbers of kings are good. Put the nets in, and it's not so good.

Aside from all of that, if you can find a good traveling lane to anchor up in, huck out the eggs and spin-n-glow behind a diver and hold on. Or, use a light fly rod/reel like I did. You'll get abused. Badly. It was fun.

And before you chew my arse out for keeping tomatoes on the Kasilof, this last fish was my Dad's. Not mine. I'm just holding it up. 58 pounds. Certified AK Trophy fish. It's on my wall now, though.

Default watch out.

I thought a new 2008 reg was no anchoring in the Kenai while fishing? True?

Default Nope

I checked it out. Anchor must be firmly attached. It is illegal to DRAG the anchor. Sorry.

Remember that the Kasilof is a raging river during mid July below the bridge on the Sterling Highway. I would not recommend floating the Kasilof in a raft unless you have a lot of hands on experience with heavy water during this timeframe.

Drift boat would be a much better choice as far as fishing out a boat on the Kasilof during July. But if all you can use is a raft then I would float the Kenai or stay above the Sterling Highway Bridge on the Kasilof River.

It is illegal to fish out of an anchored vessel in a vessel traveling lane on the Kenai River. This really comes into play during king season. Boat traffic is heavy so someone anchored in a "hole" becomes a safety issue and the enforcment folks will ask you to pick up the anchor not to mention all the friendly comments that you will probably get from those trying to fish the same area. Anchored off to the side, like during silver season, is legal.

Remember to check the tides as if there is an incoming tide it will make floating down to a take out below Eagle Rock a item that you will need to plan ahead for. If I was going to float the Kenai (on any day except for a Monday) then I would probably plan a float from Moose River down to Swiftwater or from SKilak Lake down to Bings Landing. There is a lot less boat traffic on these parts of the river during July.

Default Parker has it right on

Parker is definitely on the mark with his Kasilof running lane analysis. There are definitely some very prime slots in that river that make all the difference - but I guess that's really the same on the Kenai as well.

I think one Kasilof problem for a raft might be how quickly you end up in tidewater after launching from the bridge -the flowing part of the river isn't that long after you've launched from the bridge. It's just a few minutes and you're cruising by the people hole at Crooked Creek...There is another sorta ramp a little after that at the trailer park, but again, that isn't very far into the journey either....

And if you want to float the whole river what is the plan for taking out the raft? If you get into tidewater, then you've got a tough paddle to the pullout - careful how many beers you've chugged up 'til this point. You've got no chance at going out over the mud banks....that would be one of my issues...easy to get the raft into the water and float down, but then what? Do you have access to private land along the way for a pullout?

Default Great advice guys

Man those were some nice kings.

I will probably not use the raft to hit kings on kasilof. I will play it by ear when the inlaws get here. They are picky people so I will do what they want. Anyways thanks for all the great info.

It's almost summer.