Thread: Rest is eating up arrows

Default Rest is eating up arrows

I got a Diamond Rock bow about a month ago and the Hostage Capture rest that came with it is destroying my arrows. The rest is leaving black streaks on and after a while cuts the veins. I have already had to go get the arrows refletched. Any suggestiosn on what I should do?

My experience with capture style rests is similar. Best to gear up to refletch them your self. Easy to do and you can customize your arrows to your taste.

Why not get a different rest?

The Hostage rest should not be contacting your vanes at all. Nock an arrow and look down it..rotate the nock until the vanes appear to be clearing the passages. You can test for contact by spraying the vanes with aerosol foot powder. Continue to rotate the nock slightly until the vanes clear.

Thats whats wierd about it, ive moved all the nocks on the arrows so they should be free of hitting the rest but are still hitting it.

Default me too with Gold Key / Hunter Elite

I have the same thing......with certain arrows. Might be a straightness factor, vanes, or arrow weight. Not the expert...so just tossing out thoughts. If we rotate nock, make sure we are level, rest drops like it should...what else could it be?

Tony

Default had the same issue

I switched to a bodoodle about four years ago when they were popular and I had the same problem. The bow shop set me up with new arrows fletched with a left hylickl(?). fixed the problem. Now I use whisker buiscut. no issues

i have had this problem before, was told that i had to go with a stiffer arrow. had a friend use a fast video camera to see what was happening. when i released the arrow it flexes before it started to move, which put a hump in the arrow. causing it to hit the capture rest. switched rest because i like the lighter arrows and the problem has gone away. only us it for rabbit hunting so i do not need a heavy arrow. you might try the video if you want to keep your rest. or just change it. just my experience by far not an expert.jeff

Default Fall away rest

If your arrows shoot through paper well then try a fall away rest for no contact at all.

If in Anchorage area try the Archers Den in Eagle River. Paul can hook you up with a good one and even test it thru paper, if that doesn't work then arrows are next and he's got a good assortment.

definatly a tuning issue! could be a host of things, start picking it apart one at a time you'll find it. Changing things though a temporary fix usually rears it's ugly head later on in other issues.

Now you have to look at nock point if rotating the nock doesn't work. With the hostage, if the arrow is leaving nock high or nock low it will contact the bristles with the vanes.

I knew before I looked at the actual description what rest you are talking about. I had same problems with a perfectly tuned bow it isnt the bow its the manufaturer. Bowtech once again put out a product before good testing was done. Get rid of it and get a WB or a Drop Away and dont look back. Trust me you are just asking for headaches if you dont.

I got a parker bow a couple weeks ago that came with either a WB, a cheap drop-away, or a hostage. I got the WB and have had no trouble at all, even in the blowing snow and rain. That's what I would change out to. $40 to $60 depending on which one you get. Hope this helps, AKTrailblazer

Default rest

get a trophy taker drop zone rest get the one with the dampers its better you wont regret it

Default Throphy Taker

I use to shoot the Golden Key 3D Rover. I had the same problem with fletch touching the prongs. I could never seem to paper tune good. Changed helical from rt to lt and even shot straight fletch. Broke down this year. I was affraid to stray away from something that I could adjust to and still be accurate. A friend pointed me to a drop away rest and I had a hard time trusting the concept. After hours of research on the internet and a couple dozen posts here and on archery talk I broke down and purchased the Trophy Taker. I had everyone telling me so many different brands etc. So I headed to SW and purchased the T.T. I almost purchased the SIMS brand but decided on the T.T. I read all instructions and installed myself. It took me all of 7 shots through paper and was shooting PERFECT. I am fully impressed. There are so many different drop aways you just need to do the research. What worked for me may not work for others. Trust your gut. It usually is correct.

LKN4ELK

do you used straight veins? if so look at the apa ultimate rest. it is a full capture. looks kinda weird at first but it works great!

I have a buddy who shoots the hostage rest and had the same problems. Took the bow to Bowtech dealer and they re-adjusted the rest and it shoots great. But I do recommend switching to sum sort of drop away rest. There are lots of full containment rests out there and I would recommend looking for something new. I believe when it comes to rests, you truly get what you pay for. Good Luck