Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This won't be good.

Default This won't be good.

Did you guys see this: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/385893.html
    How long does it take a wolf to chew through a cable. Seems like if you tend to your traps in a regular fashion this wouldn't happen, especially twice. What's everyone's thoughts on this.
    EricL

Supporting Member

Default Wolves/snares

Can't say as I've caught any wolves yet, but have had a number of coyotes chew through snare cable. I can tell you it doesn't take them very long to do it, even with the right size snare cable. The trick is to anchor the snares high enough that the animals wrap up quickly and don't get the chance to chew on the cable. Despite a trapper's best efforts, seems like Murphy's law always comes into play at one time or another and something will go wrong, including having animals escape. All the posts in the ADN make it sound like it was the work of one irresponsible trapper, when in fact, there are a number of trappers working the area outside the park. Who is to say the trappers in question were irresponsible? Stuff happens! I doubt there is a trapper out there that has not lost an animal at one time or another if he/she has trapped long enough. Yes, it is unfortunate the wolves are running around with the snares on their necks, but to label the trapper/s as irresponsible may be a stretch without knowing all the facts (which we probably never will). The best answer at this point is to do whatever it takes (use an aircraft, foothold traps, tranquilizer gun, etc.) to either put them down or remove the snares and patch them up. Unfortunately, as always, the antis will talk, talk, talk, but do little to help resolve the situation with these two wolves. They would rather focus their efforts on eliminating trapping as a whole, thereby removing a necessary management tool. I'll keep trapping until I can't go anymore and even then, I'll fight to protect our right to trap.

Default wolves/snares

I had a wolf chew through a snare last year and have seen it happen to other trappers. It happens. One way to help is to put more than just a few snares in an area so if a wolf does chew through it has a better chance of getting cought in another snare.

Wow! Those comments were about as ignorant as the ones you read on youtube. Both sides, for trapping and against had nothing but idiotic comments to make. People are truly becoming crazy.

What would you consider a "regular fashion" Eric?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default My thoughts on this..

is that is unfortunately does happen. Sometimes the best placed set ends up failing. While this is indeed unfortunate, where is the story on how many moose are maimed by vehicles, trains, etc. and left to run off and either die a slow death or be maimed for life. No one cares because the issue is wolves, the warm, cuddly dog like creature that the Denali Park call "wild". Their comments are, "people want to see the wolf in the wild". Well I will tell you what, I have never seen a wolf sit on the road and watch a bus go by. Those are not wild wolves, they are "tamed" in a way.

When snares are properly set, they work very well, but just like ANYTHING that we do, there can always be failure. Who knows who set those snares. I don't put anything past the anti's and the "expert" Haber.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Well I will tell you what, I have never seen a wolf sit on the road and watch a bus go by. Those are not wild wolves, they are "tamed" in a way.
    YMMV, but I have seen wolves all over the state walking near highways, and that phenomenon is not limited to Denali. Where does one draw the distinction between "wild" and "tamed"? For me, when looking at a dog that I call Spot or Rufus and feed Kibbles to, and a wolf goes to work each day eating moose or caribou, there is no doubt that wolves are "wild."

As for your last sentence, there are enough newby trappers working the parks hwy around here to make that insinuation ridiculous. It could have happened to a veteran trapper too, or the smaller snare size true, but come down to the communities here and make that accusation that it is a left-wing conspiracy and you will be laughed out of the room by the local hunters and trappers who all have their own opinion about what happened (and it isn't favorable to the weekend urban trappers let me tell you.)

Default Haber

He has done it before.

Default it happens

I don't know a trapper (including myself) that hasn't lost an animal that was snared at one point or another. Eric, it usually doesn't have anything to do with checking sets every three days or once a week. Usually when an animal gets out of a snare it happens within a couple hours of getting caught. Sometimes it can happen with all the proper equipment (right cable size etc) and knowledge of how to set. Nowadays, it's likely we have a lot of newbie trappers out there, and who knows what they are using and how they are setting.

Hope staff is able to tranquilize the animal and remove the snare. Main thing among the trapping community is to continue to promote education of new trappers and to mentor them in the best ways to make sets and the right equipment to use.

Default Denali is not a "real" wilderness

Those animals are "conditioned" to the park and the people.

Bushrat was right, things can happen that no of us want. If you actually look at the snare on the grey wolf, it was caught correctly. Something happened the lock, it didn't tighten enough or it just stopped pulling on it. Who knows as none of us will ever know what "exactly" happened when we lose an animal. I hope they tranquilize it and either remove the snare and patch it up or put it to sleep if it can't heal from it. There is no trapper that I know of that wants to lose anything they catch.

My last sentence was an opinion. I don't put anything past Dr. Haber.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Those animals are "conditioned" to the park and the people.

Bushrat was right, things can happen that no of us want. If you actually look at the snare on the grey wolf, it was caught correctly. Something happened the lock, it didn't tighten enough or it just stopped pulling on it. Who knows as none of us will ever know what "exactly" happened when we lose an animal. I hope they tranquilize it and either remove the snare and patch it up or put it to sleep if it can't heal from it. There is no trapper that I know of that wants to lose anything they catch.

My last sentence was an opinion. I don't put anything past Dr. Haber.
    NW, if Denali is not a "real" wilderness then I am not sure if there is any left anywhere. Hunters and trappers don't seem to mind, as it is the wellspring from which a lot of game and predators are taken around here.

G Haber doesn't need to "plant" anything, he is given plenty of material from everyday business around here to work with.

Default hey bushrat

bushrat is that you trying to sell a beaver hat on the ADN blog? or just another person with the bushrat name

Default urban trapper comment

Of course they don't like the urban weekend trappers. Trappers in general don't like others trapping near them or competition. Its not just urban trappers causing the problems, this could have been done by a veteran very easily. Your diagnosis of the urban trapper is an ignorant one. (you are not ignorant, the comment about blaming urban trappers is).

I know many, many, urban trappers who do alot for trapping and the trapping community. To stereotype them like that is something totally absurd to hear from a fellow outdoorsman.

And NO i am NOT urban.
    Last edited by fishermann222; 04-25-2008 at 21:35. Reason: proofreading

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Of course they don't like the urban weekend trappers. Trappers in general don't like others trapping near them or competition. Its not just urban trappers causing the problems, this could have been done by a veteran very easily. Your diagnosis of the urban trapper is an ignorant one. (you are not ignorant, the comment about blaming urban trappers is).

I know many, many, urban trappers who do alot for trapping and the trapping community. To stereotype them like that is something totally absurd to hear from a fellow outdoorsman.

And NO i am NOT urban.
    To be clear I did not make the comment, it is bouncing off the rafters of the bars and post offices in the neighborhood. Of course no one local wants to be touched by the issue. Considering the controversy over the antlerless moose hunt, ORV access on the Rex, the hunting pressure in the Stampede etc. you may file this in the category of general local grumbling about outsiders if you wish. I do know that trapping near the park has - well, not exploded exactly, but increased with the prices on furs and of course the locals are going to get cranky, and this is an issue to jump on. Of course their diagnosis of an outsider who doesn't know what he is doing may be correct as well. Doesn't matter. We will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman222
    bushrat is that you trying to sell a beaver hat on the ADN blog? or just another person with the bushrat name
    Hi Jon,

No that is not me. Not sure who that other bushrat guy is. Whenever I post on ADN or Newsminer site, I always use my real name in the signature.

Default how many places..

can you drive in a bus full of people and see bears laying in the road, etc.? I look at it as a big zoo. While you probably don't want to go and feed the bears, the are conditioned to humans. That can't be denied. Yes wild things happen there, right in front for all to see! JMO on this one. I am sure the locals are up in arms, but the snare thing could have happened to anyone, seasoned trapper or not. I am sure no one wants the blame on this one. It is unfortunate and I hope that they can at least get the big grey and try to get the snare off his neck.

Hunters and trappers don't seem to mind, as it is the wellspring from which a lot of game and predators are taken around here.
    Trying to figure out exactly what you mean here... Do you realy believe that the park is some magic place that produces the majority of the game in the surrounding GMU's or are you infering that we are actualy hunting in Denali?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Trying to figure out exactly what you mean here... Do you realy believe that the park is some magic place that produces the majority of the game in the surrounding GMU's or are you infering that we are actualy hunting in Denali?
    Who is "we"?

Anyway, I'm referencing the large number of trap line sets along the park boundary, and the large number of hunting camps and day trippers along same in the fall. If you want to call it "magic" that it produces game for harvest that is your prerogative.

Default Snare was removed; wolf doing okay

This just in on AP news:

Snare removed from Denali wolf

Default Cue the Bambi music.

Oh I'm so glad to hear our pwecious wittle sweetie is doing OK, at no small expense I'm sure from the Park Service. Good grief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast