Thread: Newbie AK fishing trip planning help

Default Newbie AK fishing trip planning help

I'm new to the forum, and AK for that matter.
    I live in the mat-su valley. and have only been in AK for about 9 months..
    My father is coming to alaska for the first time in mid july. he is from kansas and is an avid lake fisherman.
    I'm trying to plan about a 4 day fishing trip. the thing is, i don't know where to take him, and I cant afford to pay a guide/charter. We just want to do some father and son time fishing.nothing too fancy but of course we want to get some good fishing in, but i'm not into the whole "combat fishing".
    I dont nessecarily need to stay in the mat-su region, but can't really afford to charter a plane for more remote fishing destinations... so driving is the plan...

anyone who can give advice on where to go... and types of bait/lures etc etc etc we may need....

Like i said, he's never been here... and this will be the first time in 7 or 8 years that i've even gone fishing... so any and all advice is appreciated...

help a new kid to alaska impress his dad!!!
    thanks all..
    Clinton Hill

ps, first time my dad and I will be spending a week together without mom and the sisters in about 20 years... so i'm trying to get this one right... lol

If your looking for some good fishing, great scenery, and no crowds. I suggest Tangle lakes area of the denali highway. The campgound is awesome. There is the tangle river to fish for grayling right there. just down the road is rock creek with great grayling fishing. Just about all the creeks and streams there have grayling. Tangle river inn is open and serves food and Mcclaren river lodge at mile 42 is a great place to visit and see suzy and allen.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Week of fishing

Welcome to AK and to the board.

Here are a couple of ideas:

Get a canoe and hit the Swanson River Canoe trails (a series of lakes and wet/dry portages). Excellent fishing, pristine wilderness, and you will likely be able to count the people that you see on one hand! Great trout fishing.

Also, consider the Denali Highway for grayling. With a week to fish, hit every tributary and lake that you come across. In particular, look for Brushkana Creek, Clearwater Creek and Tangle Lakes/creek. Sure to have loads of fun and not a lot of pressure.

If it is salmon that you seek, expect crowds in mid-July no matter where you go. The rivers and streams of the Mat-Su Valley are all reasonably productive as are the waterways of the Kenai Peninsula.... Just look for the people and you will find the hot spots. There really is not much left to pioneer from the road systems.

If you want quality time, go with the first two suggestions... if you are looking to take some fish home, hit the Kenai/Russian and the many streams close to home.

(thanks Chuck ... you beat me to the submit button)

Good luck

I love denali highway and we got married up there. The fishing is super and no people and just fun
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Tangle Lakes

If you go to Tangle Lakes campground, don't forget the bug spray. I have never seen so many **** blood suckers in my life

Helimx, you might find this thread useful.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29556

'Alaska Fishing' is a great book with the majority of the water it covers are in south central. "The Highway Angler" covers all major hwy's in the state and some minor ones. It is a great read and a must if you plan to go north or east to fairbanks and beyond. And it is still helpful in south central.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Swanson River

I second this canoe trail system reached from Sterling.

My dad's first trip up here in 1977 we went into the second lake on the system, caught many, many trout. He had such a good time he came back with my mom the next year, they got hooked on Alaska, bought property, built a cabin, and WOULDN'T LEAVE!

So be careful how good a time you show him....

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I second this canoe trail system reached from Sterling.

My dad's first trip up here in 1977 we went into the second lake on the system, caught many, many trout. He had such a good time he came back with my mom the next year, they got hooked on Alaska, bought property, built a cabin, and WOULDN'T LEAVE!

So be careful how good a time you show him....
    ya that's what he told me too... his exact words were " i may like it so much that seven generations of farming the same land in kansas may get over-ruled"...lol
    but as far as canoeing, first, no canoe, second, i've never been in a canoe..lol
    but thanx for the suggestions!!!!

Default Not to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Helimx View Post
    ya that's what he told me too... his exact words were " i may like it so much that seven generations of farming the same land in kansas may get over-ruled"...lol
    but as far as canoeing, first, no canoe, second, i've never been in a canoe..lol
    but thanx for the suggestions!!!!
    If that is of interest to you, there is a canoe rental outfit in Sterling, right on the highway and it is not difficult. A few strokes with a paddle and you are there! The canoe is used for transportation primarily, fishing secondarily. Nevertheless, you can fish from the banks if you desire.

If you are not interested in canoe travel... look into the Denali Highway for sure.

Good luck

bump......

Take a canoe and go hike into Redshirt lake. There are some nice pike in there and they are not hard to catch. Definetly worth a look, but go up the Denali highway isn't a bad idea either.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.