Thread: Nancy Lake Canoe trails

Default Nancy Lake Canoe trails

I am interested in doing some canoeing back into Red Shirt lake. How many days would you say to take, if you wanted a leisurely camping, canoeing fishing trip, how long to canoe in from the end of Nancy Lake Pkwy? I sometimes have 5-6 days off in a row as a nurse, and would love to do this with as much time spent on red shirt as possible. Thanks... not familiar with the portaging, the hiking or the canoeing on these lakes yet at all...

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the canoe trail does not go through redshirt. You can hike to redshirt and hang out there for a while though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Get a satellite photo of the area.... I've been all through there and never found anything resembling the "canoe trail."

I once told a friend that it was an easy hike to Redshirt (which it is).... then he and his friend packed a canoe in there MOST OF THE WAY.

They ended up ditching it in the trees somewhere short of the lake. - keep your eyes open for it. (laughing).

I think Engineer Lake or Rainbow are part of the system - but several others in there are not.

Were I to do it leisurley, I'd be thinking 4-5 days at least.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Smile DUh

It would seem that I should have looked further into this... lol. Well, hubby dog and I are going to be canoeing the system and maybe spending a day at Red Shirt Lake at the start or end of the trip here at the end of the month. Excited to catch pike again, they are my fave fish to catch down home. I love eating them too, as long as you filet out the Y bones, its all good.

Default bug dope

The trip can be long or short - directly in proportion to the amount of bug dope you take along.

Redshirt is not really part of the "canoe trail" system. Technically some of the small feeder creeks run between Redshirt and Lynx Lake or Chicken Lake, but as I recall there is a limit as to how far one can go up those creeks in a canoe - those creeks are more like ditches at points if you get my meaning.

Anyways, there are maps available for the Nancy Lake system - I have one on my wall that I'm looking at right now. I think I got mine from the TippeCanoe office. You might check their website and/or give them a call, perhaps they can fax one to you prior to your trip.

good luck.

My wife and I just got done doing a trip on the Nancy Lake Canoe trails. We Canoed/Portaged into Lynx Lake, spent the night in Public Use Cabin 3, and then came out the next morning. It was a really fun trip but I would definitely recommended getting an easy portage device (rental or otherwise) as it will just make it that much easier. The portages along the canoe trail are not bad at all and are not very long but we had a huge heavy canoe and if you are planning on going for a long time you would have a lot more supplies then we had.

The pike fishing was really good, I got into a huge one on a lunch break at one of the lakes on the way and then we were catching them about every third cast on Lynx Lake (in the weed bed by the canoe portage in/out). We were using herring under a bobber with a nice slow retrieve.

In all going in and coming out only took us about 3 hours each way, and many people were just doing the whole loop in one day as a nice day off thing. In all we woudl love to go back and do like a three day really slow loop, we would setup our campsite on one of the areas between portages, do a little more exploratory canoeing, and just take a little more time to enjoy this really pretty area.

Have fun,
    Jaeger33

Smile recent report

i was at red shirt last weekend for two nights. had decent weather and a canoe, but the pike fishing was still a little slow for my taste. my kids ages 6, 8, and 10 all caught fish, but they are pretty good fisherman in spite of their ages..it could be the fact they have a dad with a passion for catching and eating pike along with 25+ years experience

wind was annoying, so i was glad to have along the duct tape and rope to use a local rock as a simple anchor.

next year, for the first time, i plan to do the lynx lake canoe route starting at south rolly. thanks for the report on lynx jaeger33!

check out last sundays ADN outdoors section

Default Just got back!~

I hadn't actually looked at a map when I posted this originally... I just kept hearing "red shirt" in with "nancy lake canoe system"... so thought it was part of it...

We put in about six pm on Sat night in Taniana and camped one night between Ardaw and Jacknife, went on to spend two nights at Lynx by portage between Charr and Lynx... (I second the "honey hole" in weed bed by portage from Little Frazer), spent another night between little no luck and big no luck lake and came out today. Had a great time fishing all around, some lakes we didn't have enough time to fish, but my best luck was had on Lynx and Owl, though caught some in Ardaw, Charr and Jacknife big enough to keep and eat!

I can't believe it took me this long to get out there, I plan on doing it as often as I can. It was wonderful to taste Northerns again, and to play them on my rod... what fun... I was using pretty much my standards from back in WI: antique wooden mouse with wings, jitterbug, large popper, daredevils, johnson silver minnow with lively minnow attached to hook, swimmer shads, pixies, you name it they took it.

It was awesome... husband is determined to create a wheeling canoe thing to hike into redshirt, bound and determined NOT to pay to rent one... lol... we shall see what happens.

Wish I was still out there!