Thread: shooting problem

Default shooting problem

I have not shot bow alot , however lately ive been at it alot the problem im having is i will shoot a good group then blow one or two out far. could this be a release problem not follow through properly or? ive shot three arrows into my arrows last week destroying my arrows. shooting at 20 to 30 till i get gooed enough to move on any ideas or sugestions on improving grouping Thanx.

Could be your form, IE Dropping you release arm, not following through the shot. Smacking the release.. Many thing. Hard to say unless I was there watching you.

Is it the same arrows that keep going out on you? If so it could be a bad arrow. I # my arrows just in case something like that happens.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Golf

Use the golf solution. Take a video camera and video your shooting session. Watch the replay for problems.
    Use a bow sling, and don't choke the bow.Number your arrows and see if the same ones are the culprit(ones flying wild).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

When I am doing this. I find most of the time I am rushing the shot and punching the release.

Be sure to mark your arrows, to see if it is the same one's that you are shooting bad.

Default I'm with akdd

I think it's you. When I get fliers or a wide group and I know good and well my bow is tuned and flying right, I take a break. That is a good time to wax the string, check for loose screws, or touch up arrow fletchings. Sit back relax and don't make a simple issue into a bad problem.

Definitely number your arrows and shoot. If the same arrow(s) fly crazy then trash them. If there is no pattern in the arrows then it is a form issue, punching the trigger-choking the bow-inconsistent anchor etc etc (all of which i battle every time i draw a bow). Good luck fixing the issue.

This happens quite a bit in the early start of the shooting season. Muscle's are not use to holding XX# of draw weight etc. But what I found caused this with me was when I released the arrow I would grasp the bow with my hand causing the arrow to push right. Left if you shoot left handed. You know what people say hand is quicker than the eye. Try to concentrate to maintain an open hand. Just a suggestion.

LKN4ELK

Traditional instinctive shooter, but I vote for dropping your arm/ bad follow through. I find that if I'm really tiered I'll catch my wrist turning just slightly, that ones headed upper left, or dropping, bottom right. Best way too limit it is simple, practice, practice, practice.

PS kinda a newbie too so I could be all wet?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by LKN4ELK View Post
    This happens quite a bit in the early start of the shooting season. Muscle's are not use to holding XX# of draw weight etc. But what I found caused this with me was when I released the arrow I would grasp the bow with my hand causing the arrow to push right. Left if you shoot left handed. You know what people say hand is quicker than the eye. Try to concentrate to maintain an open hand. Just a suggestion.

LKN4ELK
    There's an off season?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I just started shooting again this spring after not shooting for almost 10 years. Man, it was just like riding a bike, first round of 5 arrows in a 3-4" group at 20 yds.

After shooting 15-20 arrows my groups started to get a little erratic. At 30 shots, I was getting frustrated. Long story short, when your arms start getting fatigued (even if they dont seem sore) it gets harder to keep good form, follow thru, and smooth on the release. Thats where shooting everyday and just lots of practice and conditioning come in. Back in the day I could shoot 120 arrows at a 3D course and kept it all together. It'll take a while to get back to that level. I just shoot until my groups get loose then stop for the night and hit it again tommorrow.

Default thinice....

I'd echo everyone else's word's. If you are "destroying arrow", you might want to aim at another spot on your target thus enabling you to weed out bad arrows. I've got the cube and shoot for all 5 circles at variuos ranges.

As well, once you load broadheads and try to shoot a "group", you are sure to slice a vane. Not everyone shoots broadheads on a regular basis....so that's another topic.

I thoroughly enjoy the conversations we've been having.....educating for all!!

Tony

Default Here's a thought...

If you are having trouble shooting nice tight groups at your target... STOP SHOOTING TARGETS!!!

I find that targets...

... arent very tasty.

... are way too easy to sneak up on

... and stand still alot longer than critters do

Over the years Ive seen too many archers get frustrated and when they start thinking about form and whatnot, they just have more problems. The best practice is done in the woods. One arrow at one spot. Never the same distance, never the same spot from the same distance. Whether one shoots sights or not, if you're goal is hitting a critter in the breadbasket, shooting groups wont ensure that.

Even if you shoot sights, you want to be able to acurately judge distances in diverse settings and situations. That doesnt come from standing in front of open targets.

And personally, ALL that time in the woods does a soul good. It should be fun. All the time. If frustrated, the problem is mental not physical. And time and time again, experience has proven to me that stump shooting is the quickest way to impove shooting proficiency there is.

Just my opinion.

Default problem solved?

thanx everyone for your response i think i found the problem. Finally i took the bow to the shop and they found a hairline fracture in one of the limbs. So im now currently still waiting on new limbs. In the meantime i bought a new bow. vital impact by bow tech only problem is i wish i never bought a pre packaged bow ive all ready upgraded to better accessories. Other then that its a great bow shoots where i tell it to. thanx again for your responses.