Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Surf Fishing for Kings?

  1. #1

    Default Surf Fishing for Kings?

    Hi guys,

    A few weeks back I got some good advice from alskanfishguides on this forum about surf fishing for Salmon. He told me he used to fish Whiskey Gulch right into the salt and was fairly successful at catching kings from shore with a 'T' spoon. I guess not too many people do that anymore and he told me it may just be a lost art because there are easier fish to be had, when they hit the rivers.

    Now, Im going to be in Anchorage for the whole King run. I was just wondering if anybody has targeted them from the beaches anywhere around Whittier, or Seward or on any of the beaches towards Homer?

    Im asking because I learnt how to fish on the East coast where chucking 2, or 3, or even 4oz lures was normal. Man would I love to toss out a 3oz krokodile on my 10 foot surf rod and know there is at least a small chance at hooking a king.

    Im just wondering if anybody knows of a place that will turn my 'small chance' into 'decent chance' at hooking a king in the salt from shore.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi guys,

    A few weeks back I got some good advice from alskanfishguides on this forum about surf fishing for Salmon. He told me he used to fish Whiskey Gulch right into the salt and was fairly successful at catching kings from shore with a 'T' spoon. I guess not too many people do that anymore and he told me it may just be a lost art because there are easier fish to be had, when they hit the rivers.

    Now, Im going to be in Anchorage for the whole King run. I was just wondering if anybody has targeted them from the beaches anywhere around Whittier, or Seward or on any of the beaches towards Homer?

    Im asking because I learnt how to fish on the East coast where chucking 2, or 3, or even 4oz lures was normal. Man would I love to toss out a 3oz krokodile on my 10 foot surf rod and know there is at least a small chance at hooking a king.

    Im just wondering if anybody knows of a place that will turn my 'small chance' into 'decent chance' at hooking a king in the salt from shore.

    Thanks in advance!
    The only problem I see is that on the peninsula there are no fish zones in the salt around the river mouths during the king runs. (check the regs) This would severely hamper your chances for a salty king from shore.
    I would bet you could catch off the beach in Homer though. Maybe pitching spoons off the beach by the Homer Inn?

  3. #3
    Member akfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    193

    Default kings from shore

    goto seward. past seward on the way to caines head. i have caught alot of them just cruising by the rocks while surf casting for butt, first point past waterfall is excellent. halibut in 30-60# range available seward side of wooden bridge about a mile out of seward. if goin for but put a small float by bait or you will catch alot of star fish. jeff

  4. #4
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    goto seward. past seward on the way to caines head. i have caught alot of them just cruising by the rocks while surf casting for butt, first point past waterfall is excellent. halibut in 30-60# range available seward side of wooden bridge about a mile out of seward. if goin for but put a small float by bait or you will catch alot of star fish. jeff
    What time of year for the Seward kings?

    This sounds like fun.

    I also would like to try to get the kids to catch a Hailbut from shore.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  5. #5
    Member akfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    193

    Default

    have caught kings from end of may through middle of july. since you have kids there is another place to the left of sea life center has metal sticking up out of water at low tide throw bait straight out and let it hit bottom,hold onto rod,will pick up alot of flounder and cod, a few halibut have been hooked there and lost by me that were after the cod i had hooked. oh watch out for the seals when they are around. hope this helps jeff

  6. #6
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Thanks Jeff
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  7. #7
    Member Maast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Shotgun cove in Whittier always has people there fishing for Kings and Silvers, I see some blatantly trying to snag them but for the most part its lure fishing.

    One of the guys here at work is a big fan of there.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    690

    Default Whittier

    My neighbor and I fished off the beach of Whittier past the salmon run in May a few years back. We were fishing for literally anything that would bite (rockfish mostly) and my neighbor ended up with a sizeable (50#'s+) king. We were both so shocked and amazed! The fishing isn't really that hot per se, but if one puts in the time they get the slime; just like any other fishing. Cast as far as you can and let it sink until your line looks like it may be vertical/hitting bottom then retrieve slowly... good luck.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    My neighbor and I fished off the beach of Whittier past the salmon run in May a few years back. We were fishing for literally anything that would bite (rockfish mostly) and my neighbor ended up with a sizeable (50#'s+) king. We were both so shocked and amazed! The fishing isn't really that hot per se, but if one puts in the time they get the slime; just like any other fishing. Cast as far as you can and let it sink until your line looks like it may be vertical/hitting bottom then retrieve slowly... good luck.
    What were you tossing at them? I have this huge 3 oz krokodile spoons in mackerel colors (blueish/black). I guess herring colors too.

  10. #10
    Member boejali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Sounds like how we salmon fished in the port of indiana on lake michigan. Used big KO wobblers and kept at it until we figured the color to use. Whens a good time to do this?

  11. #11
    Member FishSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Shotgun cove in Whittier always has people there fishing for Kings and Silvers, I see some blatantly trying to snag them but for the most part its lure fishing.
    It is a legal snag fishery there.

  12. #12
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    What were you tossing at them? I have this huge 3 oz krokodile spoons in mackerel colors (blueish/black). I guess herring colors too.
    I have surf fished kings before and found 3/4-1 oz lures to be plenty adequate fishing from shore...... I like simple spoon like Acme Kastmaster or my other favorite spinners....

  13. #13
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    I have surf fished kings before and found 3/4-1 oz lures to be plenty adequate fishing from shore...... I like simple spoon like Acme Kastmaster or my other favorite spinners....

    Back in the GL Region hot lures were 5/8 & 3/4 oz little cleo's and little cleo squids, as well as mepps cyclops, kastmasters, coho spoons etc. in 5/8 to 1 oz.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    homer
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Your friend was right about Whiskey gulch. We launch a ten foot zodiak from shore and troll up and down the beach for big kings. We are so close to shore that we often times have to manuever around surf fishermen. Not sure what they are throwing.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Back in the GL Region hot lures were 5/8 & 3/4 oz little cleo's and little cleo squids, as well as mepps cyclops, kastmasters, coho spoons etc. in 5/8 to 1 oz.
    The size of the 3 oz kroc isnt much bigger than the 1oz. Its just thicker. The reason I like it is because it casts faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!! .

    Very satisfying feeling.

  16. #16

    Default Acme Sidewinder

    Tynmon,

    Try an Acme Sidewinder.... Silvers hammered them in the Kenai last August. Sidewinders are by far the most productive spoons I've ever used. It swims more like a crankbait than a typical spoon. They won't cast as good as a Kastmaster (of course) but they look so much more natural in the water. They make em' up to 3/4oz. Acme now makes some that have chartreuse "scales" on the uppper back. I haven't tried those new models yet but they look like they'll be killer.

    Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    I have surf fished kings before and found 3/4-1 oz lures to be plenty adequate fishing from shore...... I like simple spoon like Acme Kastmaster or my other favorite spinners....

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UplandHuntsman View Post
    Tynmon,

    Try an Acme Sidewinder.... Silvers hammered them in the Kenai last August. Sidewinders are by far the most productive spoons I've ever used. It swims more like a crankbait than a typical spoon. They won't cast as good as a Kastmaster (of course) but they look so much more natural in the water. They make em' up to 3/4oz. Acme now makes some that have chartreuse "scales" on the uppper back. I haven't tried those new models yet but they look like they'll be killer.
    Can you get those spoons in Anchorage? Have you tried Krocodiles? These things are awesome. I would just like to know how they compare?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    690

    Default Three Rivers

    There are some good experienced guys in Anchorage, but if you really want top shelf advice on what to use; visit or call Three Rivers Fly & Tackle in Wasilla. This isn't a plug for them, but it has been my true experience that all of the guys there have a combined knowledge about fishing in Alaska that is second to none. Talk to Steve, Tom or Mike; I assure you that you won't be disappointed. My advice is to take your tackle box and throw everything you have until you find what works. You never know when that lure you ignore the most might turn up a winner... trying new tackle is a great way to broaden your horizons; we all pigeon hole ourselves with what we think works best and end up losing out on other opportunities when we do that.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

  19. #19
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Is there a way...

    ... to surf cast a lure, and keep it anchored by a leader to the bottom but still "swimming" in the tidal current? Maybe with a float between the weight and the lure?

  20. #20
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... to surf cast a lure, and keep it anchored by a leader to the bottom but still "swimming" in the tidal current? Maybe with a float between the weight and the lure?
    How about a side planer? I bet that would work with a t-spoon or plug cut herring.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •