Thread: Bait

Question Bait

I'm new to baiting bears and I'm not sure what to use. I have asked around and most people say dog food. What kind of dog food do you use?, the cheapest Walmart sack that you can find?, or do you want a specific kind? Do you add anything in with the dog food??? like fish oil and something sweet, or do you just use the sweet smell to get them into the bait?? Thank you for your input........and good luck to everyone this season!!!
    DJ

Do a search on this forum, the topics been up a lot. g'luck!

the bears dont care man - they are hungry - period

anyways - you will learn right away those bears will eat you out of house and home, and dog food weights alot. Your going to get a ton of people that swear the only thing that works is their recipe. I can tell you this much - once you get them on your bait, it wont matter what you put out. I like sweet stuff because I dont like to sit in the stand and smell rotten food. ITs a heckuva lot easier to clean up to.

have fun and plan on 50lbs every 3/4 days when things get crankin on your bait

Cheap dog food.. OLE ROY Wal mart. ......
    Like another post said. Do a search and you will be a master at baiting bears.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bait

First and foremost, if you can’t get the bear to the bait then you will just be wasting your time (i.e., the bear’s stomach follows the nose). Two things you need to know about bears: 1) bears are opportunistic predators (i.e., they eat whatever requires the least amount of work); 2) their sense of smell is second to none. From my understanding scientists estimate a bear’s sense of smell to be 10 times greater then that of a blood hound. Thus, an important concept in baiting is the use of scents to exploit the bear’s sense of smell. I know there are several products that can be purchased from Sportsman’s Warehouse that are designed to do exactly this, but other popular methods are “honey burns” & the use of Anise extract (the stuff in black licorice). Once you get them to the bait site the next step is to keep them coming back. Dog food is popular bait, and anything that is sweet is usually a good bet. I buy the cheapest brand from Costco. If you are looking to sweeten your bait up jelly is a good choice, or molasses, or honey. Current laws prohibit the taking of griz over bait, so be careful when using fish products as they have a tendency to draw griz in. They are also very aggressive and may push any blackies off the bait that might be visiting. I am sure you will get lots of replies about this subject, so keep an open mind as there is no one bait or scent that is the best. Try to be creative with your bait, and check it often as the bears will move off the bait if there is not a constant supply of food. Also, read the regs and make sure you are legal to bait in whichever GMU you intend to hunt in. Some of the GMU’s require the completion of a bait clinic. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Cheap dog food.. OLE ROY Wal mart. ......
    Like another post said. Do a search and you will be a master at baiting bears.
    Oh Gray.... you have become my enemy shopping at Walmart.

This is a sad day indeed.

Bears need calories in the spring.

They know it if you don't.

Agan, I'll say trust nature.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default on the contrary...

I find that bears have a very diverse and distinct palet! I import my dog food from the lower 48. I belive it is called Le' Walmart. I retrieve my used coking grease from only the finest area resteraunts were I have screened there kitchens esuring they use only the freshest ingredients. i have been known to use cavier and grey pupon burns they love those!!

I am sorry, I couldnt help it.

Thumbs up Cesar

Yes... I would tend to agree. The Ursus americanus has a very well developed pallete, and should only be fed the finest in bear bait products.
    I highly recommend... Cesar; here's a link

http://www.cesar.com

And when you get done laughing, or cussing me... go to Wal-Mart or the local feed store. If it's cheap, it's good.
    Talk to your neighborhood convenience store... pretty good chance that they throw away about a dozen donuts every morning... might be able to ask them to set them aside for you, or put them in a special trash can, etc.

I agree with the idea -- a bear can smell just about anything. Might as well make the smell less than regurgitating for yourself.
    I doubt it can be scientifically proven but...
    black bears like sweet smells
    brown bears like rotten smells
    Either that, or I like to tell myself this so that I continue to throw things out that don't smell like road kill

Default Fish oil

Do not use fish oil, You my get a color of bear you don't want. Stay away from fish and fish Parts.. Good luck.
    Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Oh Gray.... you have become my enemy shopping at Walmart.

This is a sad day indeed.

Bears need calories in the spring.

They know it if you don't.

Agan, I'll say trust nature.
    I sent the wife to Wal mart
    Don't worry I through some sweet honey on the dog food....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Actually

Freddies has dog food cheaper than Wallyworld last time I was through town. $10.99 for a 50 pound bag.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I take in about 10 buckets a year of 1/2 grease,1/2 dogfood. Do a bacon/honey burn and hang some vanilla, anise rags at every check and they will come. I bring in 3 buckets a week and that seems to keep them coming in.