Thread: Fish Processor by the Russian?

Default Fish Processor by the Russian?

I'll be fishing in Seward and heading to the Russian/Kenai afterwards. Are there any fish processors around Cooper Landing that I could bring the halibut to so I don't need to go back to Seward to pick it up later in the week?

Thanks,
    Mike

I believe the Kenai Cache in Cooper Landing will freeze and store your fish.

How do they charge for storage and preparing?

Is it really expensive?

I want to say Gwin's and trapper creek smoking company as well. You can google either and get prices I think. It's not that expensive, but I don't know the actual price. I googled both and got some info but not price.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    How do they charge for storage and preparing?

Is it really expensive?
    Ain't cheap!
    I think it cost me $11 a day for a 20# box. I could be wrong as that was 5 years ago. It might have been $11 for 2 days? ? ? (it's the oldtimers you know) I just stored my fish at Gwins for a couple of days. Processing I had done in Deep Creek on the way back from a halibut charter.

Give them a call or email

http://www.gwinslodge.com/

http://www.kenaicache.com/

Default Watch yourself on this one...

Use your MilePost Magazine and chase down all the opportunites on your route. Query them through their URL's for rates. This is the best way to know prices.

If the storage rates are high, then see what it will cost to have your box of fish that you caught in Seward post-shipped to your home by the time your trip is over.

If the costs are similar, then you'll know what to do...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Shipping can be cheaper than flying it

I read recently that many airlines (including Delta) are now charging $25 for the second bag you check. Then everything after that is considered "excess" baggage and can cost you $50 to $100 per bag (depending on the airline). Plus if any of your bags are over 50 pounds they hit you with even more fees.

It might be cheaper all around to just ship your fish as suggested above rather than hassle with storage fees on top of airline fees. I'm sure there are plenty of places who can do that for you in Seward and save you the trouble.

John

Default Kenai Cache

Will vacume seal and freeze and store all your fish for around a buck a pound. My buddies use them every year and are pleased with them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pennell View Post
    I read recently that many airlines (including Delta) are now charging $25 for the second bag you check. Then everything after that is considered "excess" baggage and can cost you $50 to $100 per bag (depending on the airline). Plus if any of your bags are over 50 pounds they hit you with even more fees.

It might be cheaper all around to just ship your fish as suggested above rather than hassle with storage fees on top of airline fees. I'm sure there are plenty of places who can do that for you in Seward and save you the trouble.

John
    John,

I don't think you can ship overnight any cheaper than the extra bag charge on the airlines. At $50/bag, thats $1/pound.....great deal. At $100.00 a bag.. $2/pound still a great deal. The way to do it is leave the fancy luggage at home, bring your gear up in a wheeled cooler with a extra duffel bag packed. Fly home with a cooler full at $1/pound and your gear in the duffel and you are good to go. Oh ... don't forget the duct tape to tape the cooler.

Evan if you ship from 10th and M in Anchorage, you will still be talking $6-10 overnight fedex.

Last year we brought back 250 lbs(3 coolers,2boxes) on Delta at $50 each. The were filled with OUTSTANDING halibut,rockfish, and salmon. Hope to do it again this year the 1st 2 weeks of August, even at $80/bag.(Delta's new rule after May 5th)

Russ F.
    Kutztown,PA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    I'll be fishing in Seward and heading to the Russian/Kenai afterwards. Are there any fish processors around Cooper Landing that I could bring the halibut to so I don't need to go back to Seward to pick it up later in the week?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike,

Last year we used Kenai cache outfitters. As mentioned by others they will store your fish for how ever long you want. They charge by the box/amount of time. I think we spent ~$50/ for 50lbs/1week. When leaving they also let us use their scale to get the weights correct on our coolers so we did not exceed the weight limit when we flew home. They were very helpful, and I would recommend them.

Russ F.
    Kutztown,PA

Smile Check out Alaska Air Cargo in Anchorage

Also, depending on where you are flying in/out of --try checking out the Alaska Air cargo rates. The AK cargo warehouse is there on the airport frontage road in Anchorage. I remember last year sending a fish box down to Oregon for a decent price. If AK Air flies to the same city you are returning to, it may be cheaper to send your boxes through the cargo system rather than checking them in as additional bags. Just another thought...