Thread: Ice on Finger Lake?

Default Ice on Finger Lake?

I'm looking at getting the boat (or at least the jet unit) into the water this week and testing it out prior to a trip to Whittier over the weekend. Does anyone know if the ice is out around the launch yet? Thanks!

Not yet like 3 feet out

If it has 3' around the edges now, it shouldn't take more then a week to open up. That lake opens up quickly once it gets started.

Default Ice

Yesterday I went down to Finger Lake to see if I could do the same thing. It's ice right to the shore at the launch, not too thick but it's there. If anyone else knows of another location that has open water at a launch I'd appreciate the info.

Default Wetting the jet.

I took my boat to the Knik River bridge on the Old Glenn Hywy last weekend. Seen lots of wheelers and a few boats backing into a large puddle so i ran to the house and hooked on to the trailer. Must have 4WD if there's any serious weight to your boat set-up. Soon as you get off the main road after the bridge, on the right (where i went). You follow through the creek (small and shallow) that feeds into the pond and back her in. It is a bit of a grade that is on the soft end towards the bottom but not to difficult with 4WD and mid-sized or not to heavy boat.
    Seen 2 full sized trucks there with around 20' air boats, and they were gone after i returned with my 21' boat and i didnt spin a wheel while pulling her out (4WD 3/4 ton).

Checked out finger lake today and still ice up to shore at the boat ramp. Noticed a few spots around the shore had some open water. Shouldn't be too much longer, if the temps stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Checked out finger lake today and still ice up to shore at the boat ramp. Noticed a few spots around the shore had some open water. Shouldn't be too much longer, if the temps stay warm.
    A little wind, a little sun, and like you said, a little longer

Default Ice..

Echo Lake had ice on it 2 days ago, almost completely covered. Yesterday when I passed by there was NONE! It's going to come fast now. Heck, Anderson Lake couldn't even support a Super Cub yesterday. When Cubs start going through the ice you know we won't have to wait long!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigBrown767; 04-28-2008 at 07:41. Reason: Had to add image!

Default Gentlemen, start your engines!!

The ice is about 15' out from the launch at Finger Lake. Where the back of the boat would meet the ice there is about 5' of water so most of us should be able to get in and crank her up. See you down there!

Last report for finger was 4 days ago. Seems like it should be open by now. Anyone been there and able to run the boat around or is it still just a hole at the launch to back in and run the motor for a little bit while still on the trailer?

Default It might be ok

The ice is going out right now on Memory lake
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Thanks for the update on Memory Lake. Anyone been out to Finger today? What can you tell us?

Was at Finger Lake about noon today. Still 85% covered with ice. There is enough open water to run your boat on the trailer and possibly hug the shore and run for about 200 yards. Went to Wasilla lake later and there was more open water and a guy out there in a jet boat practicing turns. If you want to run your boat on the trailer Finger Lake is ready. If you have a shallow running boat you can stay entertained for a few minutes running along the shore. Maybe the wind and warm temps opened up more this afternoon. From what I saw before lunch don't plan on going here to go boating. I'll probably be at Finger Lake tomorrow to fire up the boat and see if it runs after being stored all winter.

Bump...
    Anyone go out to Finger Lake on Sunday? Once there is a few feet around the edges the rest usually goes out in the next few days. I'm hoping to get out there and run around for an hour or so in the next few days if it is open. Just don't feel right putting it in the salt before a good "run up" in a lake where I can get back to shore easily in case of a "hick-up". Thanks in advance for the information.

Was at Finger Lake yesterday afternoon. Planned to back in the water and fire up the boat. Got Lucky and yhere was a bunch of open water and drove the boat around for about an hour. Probably 25% of the lake is open, plenty of water to have some fun. All of the ice near the open water was just floating ice cubes. I think the wind on Saturday really helped. Won't be long and the entire lake will be ice free.

Get after it.

That's what I needed to hear. Thank you for the information.