Thread: polishing boat

Default polishing boat

On my boat it was left in the slip about 6 weeks when I pulled it at the end of the year. I had water stains on and below water level when I went to west marine last year they sold me some powerful stuff called On & off hull and bottom cleaner. now that it is spring I am wondering if there may be another cleaner that is not so harmful to my health and my trailer health

Default Fiberglass

It is a fiberglass Seasport hull forgot that

Default Me too

I am also interested as I have just bought a 1986 Sea Ray. The fiberglass is chalky. I am told to get the shine back into the jel-coat mix half rubbing compound with half wax and use a high speed buffer.

Is this true? What is the difference between wax and polish for fiberglass?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I cant answer all your questions but as I remeber you dont want to use a high speed buff, it has the potential to create too much heat and blister your gel-coat.
    Polishing compound is abrasive, wax is a sealer. Best I can do.

Default Opps

Got to get the terms right gel-coat, not jel-coat.

I have seen some folks with a heavy duty grinder type moters with buffing wheels.

I am used to metal, not fiberglass so this will be a learning wxperience for me.

Just like figuring out the mechanics of a true inboard.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Just finished

A 2452 Bayliner I bought. Paint was dull not chalky, used a medium compound (starbrite marine) and a Dewalt buffer, set at 1000 RPM........compounded the entire boat then polished with starbrite boat polish, came out nice, not as bright as a car finish is to me but it is supposed to have a better life in salt water? We'll see. Picked up the starbrite at Carquest, I think West Marine sells it also. RPM's on grinders will burn the paint from what I understand, all my grinders are 12000 RPM..........carquest also sells the buffing/polishing pads. One bottle of each did the entire boat, with little to spare.
    Last edited by Deepercreek; 04-25-2008 at 10:19. Reason: add on

Thumbs up

As for cleaning in general; My wife and I used Oxy clean, the powder laundry detergent in a hot bucket of water instead of soap, unbelieveable difference in how much it shined compared to regular soapy water. We actually let it sit on a bit longer than normal before we rinsed it off. She scrubbed rust stains off the fiberglass that I tried using expensive stain removers that didn't accomplish what she did. Oxy clean is suppose to be left on stuff as it eats away anything, so leaving it on awhile is important but not to long, if you know what I mean.

Default Boat polishing and buffing

I just finished touching up scratches and dings on the hull of our bayliner as well. After gel-coating the troubled spots I let it dry overnight in the 65 degree shop. Then wet sanded the areas with 220 grit working my way up to 800 grit, by hand. I followed up with a gel coat restorer which was actually a light buffing compound that West marine sold me. This brought back the luster as I worked the whole boat over and 1 bottle did a 22' cuddy cabin. (I applied it with a 6" buffer that Sears has specifically for applying waxes, low RPM and oscillating.) After, I waxed it with West Marines boat wax. Came out absolutely beautiful!
    Mainly it's just alot of elbow grease and time in the shop to make her look good again.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I just finished touching up scratches and dings on the hull of our bayliner as well. After gel-coating the troubled spots I let it dry overnight in the 65 degree shop. Then wet sanded the areas with 220 grit working my way up to 800 grit, by hand. I followed up with a gel coat restorer which was actually a light buffing compound that West marine sold me. This brought back the luster as I worked the whole boat over and 1 bottle did a 22' cuddy cabin. (I applied it with a 6" buffer that Sears has specifically for applying waxes, low RPM and oscillating.) After, I waxed it with West Marines boat wax. Came out absolutely beautiful!
    Mainly it's just alot of elbow grease and time in the shop to make her look good again.
    BK
    OK I am new to fiberglass. You used sandpaper on the fiberglass?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default correct, sand paper

Akbassking,
    I used sand paper to knock down the new gel-coat that I applied. Wet sanding of course and working up to 800 grit, she becomes pretty smooth. Then buff and shine w/ wax and you can't tell that there was ever a scratch in the hull. The guys at CAC plastics in Wasilla gave me a crash course. My first time doing it, and I was impressed at how well it turned out.
    BK

Default I found the right stuff

ok I found the right stuff to make my hull look like new. It took every nasy off my hull from rust to scum to water stains that looked like a nasty rusty ring and it was amazing how easy it was boat looks like new. the cleaner was Star Bright Sea Safe hull cleaner I used a terry applicator pad rubber gloves did not take long just wiped it in the stains which was the whole underside it came clean before my eyes in 2 mins and I just rinsed it off with a garden hose. Where my uper hull was a bit dull I used Star Bright fiberglass color restorer with ptef then waxed with Star Bright Premium Marine polish with ptef. The boat lookes like new all stains are gone and is shines like new. Just figured I would follow up on what I found maybe it will help another who would like to shine up the boat b4 taking her out . I purchased all the products at west marine you might find them elswhere I just use west marine I like to wander the place looking at all the cool stuff :]