Thread: Fly out from Anchorage for some fishing?

Default Fly out from Anchorage for some fishing?

Hi guys,

I figure this is a good place to ask my question. Ive got the itch real bad. Ive been planning my trip to Alaska for a few weeks now, and thats all I can think about!

I was hoping to find someone who does day trips out of Anchorage for some semi-remote salmon fishing. Well, I say 'semi' because I know many people in AK own small planes, but if I could do a day where I can escape the crowds with my brother for some hot salmon action, that would be awesome.

OR

A few people have mentioned Alexander Creek for some awesome pike fishing as well.

Im in Anchorage from June 1st until august 2nd. I would be with my brother from July 5th until 14th, and the rest of the time, it would be just me.

I figure its worth seeing if someone was planning a trip that wouldnt mind splitting costs with.

You can PM me if you prefer.

All the best,

Jonathan

Default Not positive

on the regulations/laws, but I don't think that you can legally share the costs unless the flyer has a transporter license - maybe the friends that have taken me just don't want me to pay - but they have told me that I cannot even pay for fuel costs - - am sure that others here will know the real truth.

there are several charters that should be able to put you on fish - but nothing is guarranteed when it comes to fishing.....Nets could come in the day you fish - the fish could run through quick if the water comes up and you could miss them - or maybe you could wear your elbow out catching monsters. The flight alone is worth the trip...you get to see the country better - and more of it from the air in a small plane.

You can share costs (fuel, oil, rent) as long as the pilot pays a full share (pilot and one other, pilot must pay half, for example).

From the FAR's:

Sec. 61.113 - Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Dave View Post
    You can share costs (fuel, oil, rent) as long as the pilot pays a full share (pilot and one other, pilot must pay half, for example).

From the FAR's:

Sec. 61.113 - Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.
    Could you please provide a link to these rules? I have a friend with a plane and I don't want to get him trouble, yet at the same time I want to make sure I pay my fair share of the costs. Thanks

Default FAA regs

just go to faa website and look it up. search for the specific reg super easy, I do it all the time.

yes there are plenty of folksout of anc that will take you on a trip like that. check rusts, as they are big enough to know where thefish are. most operators off of lake hood will be able to put you on fish.

Default FAA website -

This article seems relevant - FAA newsletter.

www.faa.gov/news/aviation_news/2006/media/MarchApril2006.pdf

Thanks guys. I figure the flight alone would be worth it. That way I could feed my photography addiction!!

oh these darn vices!! fish and photos!!