Thread: Weatherby ultralight mag's.....

Default Weatherby ultralight mag's.....

Any pro's or Con's? Was looking at the mark V ultralight mag in the .300 caliber.

Default Nice Rifle

Never shot one of this model rifle. The specs look good for an ultra light weight rifle though. They are a little spendy though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I own one of these rifles, but it's not in a 300 magnum. A buddy had one in 300 Win mag though and it shot pretty good and was plenty light. Mine is chambered in 338-06AI and it shoots good compared to other factory rifles. I had my action squared/blueprinted, but it shot decent before that.
    Hope this helps.

The idea of and ultralight rifle is the greatest thing since sliced bread, is great. Until you have to make the long shot and you wished you had a rifle with more weight. How many times I've heard from sheep hunters, they wished the rifle was heaver, when it comes shooting time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The idea of and ultralight rifle is the greatest thing since sliced bread, is great. Until you have to make the long shot and you wished you had a rifle with more weight. How many times I've heard from sheep hunters, they wished the rifle was heaver, when it comes shooting time.
    BUT, you carry a sheep rifle a lot more than you shoot a sheep rifle. The better idea would be instead of buying a lighter rifle would be loose an extra 10 lbs or so of body weight and carry the rifle of choice. You would be in better shape to be in the mountains and at the same overall weight.
    That being said, I'll carry a light rifle. LOL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I gotta say you better be tough because that thing is going to kick like a bad mule.

I had one in 280. It's a pretty nice rifle, shot well, nothing to write home about but I was only using factory ammo, premium stuff not the cheap stuff. The action seemed a little rough but I'm sure it would have smoothed out with more use. Recoil wasn't bad at all, not that it should be, being a 280. I have considered getting another one, I just don't know if it is because of the rifle or the caliber.

The 300Wby would really be a great cartridge for it and the ULW are great rifles.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had one in 240 wby and one in 257 wby. I think they are great rifles. Only problem I see is that they now cost more for one of them than I paid for both of the ones I had.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Just priced this rifle today with SW $1535.00 , Boondocks $1575.00...... Wow was thinking in the 1k range but not 15 hun! I am having a hard time not getting it though . It is a toss up between the...

Wtby...
    Tikka lite....
    Kimber....

I hate decisions!

Any of those rifles would do good. I really like the Mark V. I have never hunted sheep but if i did here is the 300Wby Mark V I would like to use on the hunt.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Just priced this rifle today with SW $1535.00 , Boondocks $1575.00...... Wow was thinking in the 1k range but not 15 hun! I am having a hard time not getting it though . It is a toss up between the...

Wtby...
    Tikka lite....
    Kimber....

I hate decisions!
    Curt, I'm selling my Weatherby ultralight to a forum member in Anchorage tomorrow. Maybe he'd let you check it out sometime. I could send your info to him...
    It's the nicest gun I've ever seen much less owned.
    I sold it only out of necessity.

Once you compare the Tikka with the Weatherby its not even a consideration. The Tikka is a nice gun--especially for accuracy on a budget, but it's like a generic rifle compared to the 'By.
    The Kimber is a bit closer in comparsion.
    The Weatherby is pure quality and has tack driver reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    BUT, you carry a sheep rifle a lot more than you shoot a sheep rifle. The better idea would be instead of buying a lighter rifle would be loose an extra 10 lbs or so of body weight and carry the rifle of choice. You would be in better shape to be in the mountains and at the same overall weight.
    That being said, I'll carry a light rifle. LOL
    Yeah... loose 5 lbs and carry a 10 lb rifle... that's the ticket.

That being said, I went and bought a Finnlight

This Ultra Light looks like a good rifle.

Not sure if you're looking at it in 300 Win or Wby. I have it in 257Wby and I think it is a fine gun. I love the way it balances with the 26" tube, a Win version will only have a 24", never shouldered one of them. It is very accurate and I think my longest shot was on an AK goat at 390 yd.

My only concern would be recoil if you are looking at it in the Wby variety. I have a 300 Ultra in a standard weight but I think a similar cartridge in an ultralight would be pretty harder on the shoulder than it needs to be. The 257 is nice and I think the 26 tube keeps muzzle jump down a bit. If i was looking at a non-wby cartridge I think I'd be inclined to go with a less expensive choice. I just think if you're gonna buy a wby it should be a wby all the way around.

Default Suggestion

If you are using this rifle as a sheep, goat type hunting tool. Why not get it in the 7mm Weatherby? It will still produce super flat trajectorys and should have a 20% recoil reduction. In this ultralight rifle that might be a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    If you are using this rifle as a sheep, goat type hunting tool. Why not get it in the 7mm Weatherby? It will still produce super flat trajectories and should have a 20% recoil reduction. In this ultralight rifle that might be a plus.
    I had a .300wby mag in the vanguard v model (the cheaper version) and it shot just fine, loved that gun, taken...

2 moose
    16 caribou
    6 Kodiak deer
    1 Griz
    1 sheep
    5 fox

But with the gun, scope, sling it weighed in at 11.5lbs. Since some dirt bag broke into my home and stole all my guns I need to start replacing them. I want the same .300cal but a much lighter one, that's why I was looking into the wtby ultralight. I am still on the fence to getting a 7mm or a .270 as another rifle but, definitely want another .300.

I have one in 30.06. It shoots great! The only reason I have it, it was on sale at a place going out of business in the lower 48. I paided less than seven bills for it. I could not pass a deal like that. Very happy with the rifle.

Well I bought the new rifle today, ended up getting the Tikka T-3 Lite ss in the .300WSM. I topped it off with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40. The price was the ending factor. I am sure I will be happy with it, pulls up very nicely and the action is very smooth.