Thread: Clam Recipes

Default Clam Recipes

I am tossing around the idea of going clamming around the Ninilchik area when i go down there for Halibut. Is there a certain type of clam thats better than others. Also i'm looking to cook these clams on a campfire. Does anyone have any recipes for clams? Directions for cooking them? Thank you in advance!

If I cook them over a fire on the beach, I fry them in butter in a cast iron skillet. Then add em to a can of my favorite chowder. I like the smokey buttery taste. It's also fast and I am usually tired from digging and cleaning. Don't have to cook them very long--hot skillet for about 5 min or less.
    Have fun.

Default try beach in homer

and get some butter clams and muscles. It's only a little drive south of Ninilchic and they taste great fresh from the campfire. We just clean off the shells realy good(get as much grass/seaweed off their shells). Put them in a pot and with water and garlic. Boil them until shells start to open. Serve with melted butter.

Thumbs up mussels and butters

a tip on the mussels is to harvest off a vertical surface. they will have much less silt/sand in them.
    i put butters back for years before i found a way i lke them... purge them for a couple days in clean water (change it often or they just croak)... slice in two, leaving 1/2 clam in each shell... dip clam in breading (panko, crumbs, crushed wasabi peas) and put shell-up on a hot griddle... cook until shell begins to dry out and turn white... ummm-ummm!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the mussel tip, Dave. I've never harvested them before.

And crushed wasabi peas on clams sounds BRILLIANT!
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    a tip on the mussels is to harvest off a vertical surface. they will have much less silt/sand in them.
    i put butters back for years before i found a way i lke them... purge them for a couple days in clean water (change it often or they just croak)... slice in two, leaving 1/2 clam in each shell... dip clam in breading (panko, crumbs, crushed wasabi peas) and put shell-up on a hot griddle... cook until shell begins to dry out and turn white... ummm-ummm!
    Hey Dave,
    I used to put clams in water for a few days and Id put some flour in there. A cook from Massachusetts told me to do that because the clam replaced the sand in its...face, mouth, shell? with the flour.
    I used to get a bit of sand in there until I tried this flour trick. Not sure if its the same for the clams in AK.

How much flour Soda? Do you still have to change the water?

Default flour/cornmeal...

doesn't make a bit of difference. change the water often and the clams will purge.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    How much flour Soda? Do you still have to change the water?
    Not much. Just a few table spoons per gallon I guess.

when i went clamming a few years ago i was taught to put 2 inches of cornmeal in the bottom of the pan and 6 inches of water. after 2 days clams would be full of corn meal and had no sand or dirt in them.
    if you want a good chowder recipe try taking a large pot down with you.
    fry cleaned clams, 1 pound smoked bacon, and a large onion cubed into spoon sized pieces. after previous is cooked add 3 potatoes (cut into small cubes) cover with water and boil until tender.add can of corn. add enough salt to give it a taste of salt water. use mashed potatoe flakes to thicken. sweet butter can be added for a slight buttery flavor. cook over a smoky fire to have a slightly smoked flavor to the chowder. it is simple and filling and a large pot on a cool evening goes fast. if you cook this at home i use 4-5 drops of liquid smoke to give it a smoky flavor. my family makes me prepare this for them everytime i go back to the east coast...you can also use crab legs for a different choice. just steam the crab legs and add to fried bacon. cook with bacon for a few minutes and crab has a light bacon flavor. jeff

forgot to say to have water slowly moving through the container. or change it. i just use an old and inexpensive bilge pump,not a used one. use my battery charger to power it. i use a small action packer inside a larger one pump from large one itto smaller one water runs from smaller one thu holes i drilled in the smaller ones.