Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas mileage ratio

Default gas mileage ratio

I was figuring up my gas mileage from this past saturday this morning. We went 85 miles. Took 23 gallons to fill up. Got 3.7 miles to the gallon, ran the motors 3-400rpms higher than normal at times and especially on the way back in. Usually I get 4 miles to the gallon average.

So I came up with $.96 to the mile. So once the old gas is gone I should be back to $1 to a mile if we hit $4 a gallon.

People always ask me how much it costs me per trip, of course it varies, but now with this calculation I give better estimates.

So you guys with the new fancy boats and the ones who own monster outboards: What is your $ to mile ratio?

Default ratio

$4 per mile....yes, I know, it sucks.

Default This what mine looks like

Avg MPG was 4.56
    Cost per gallon
    $3.00 = .66 per mile
    $3.5 = .77 per mile
    $3.75 = .88 per mile
    $4.00 = .88 per mile
    $4.25 = .04 per mile

2007 Total, I had 363 gallons and 1666 miles ( I did miss a couple trip that did not get logged)

Looks pretty expensive this year
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 04-23-2008 at 20:20. Reason: Did not look right on screen
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Good thread

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    So you guys with the new fancy boats and the ones who own monster outboards: What is your $ to mile ratio?
    Well, after looking at my numbers after the sea trial I think that I should be able to get close to 2 mpg with "Patience", so we are looking at around 2 bucks per mile. My question for you is can you bake cookies or fire up your panini maker? I guess it comes down to: you have to pay to play and mama likes the creature comforts. When you think about it like this, it is a bit of a downer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Reading this blog makes me want to take up sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Avg MPG was 4.56
    Cost per gallon
    $3.00 = .66 per mile
    $3.5 = .77 per mile
    $3.75 = .88 per mile
    $4.00 = .88 per mile
    $4.25 = .04 per mile

2007 Total, I had 363 gallons and 1666 miles ( I did miss a couple trip that did not get logged)

Looks pretty expensive this year
    With the price of gas it sounds like we all need to try to get the most our of our boating pleasures this summer.

Unhappy if i do the math....

........i'll have to move to the kayak forum.

Default didn't mean to

make it sound so depressing. NO my boat does not have some of the creature comforts, but I don't have a creature who needs them. But I keep hoping that will change soon!

I was about to sell my boat, had someone interested. Then the more I thought about it, I just couldn't do it. For a lot of reasons. I know a bigger boat is more expensive, I was ready for that part. But just not sure what I want next and how big I will need. Plus then for the size of boat I would want I would have to buy a truck. Then what if I need to sell that truck to get a bigger truck to haul even my bigger boat in a few years if I get into transporting and boat hunting. So I just decided to stay where I am at. After getting a real number to look at it, I think I can live with my boat a few more seasons

One possitive thing though, If you are catching shrimp the pay for the gas! A man has got to eat right?

Default Come on guys!!!!!

Cheer up! All winter long the common theme is "come on summer!" or "I can't wait to get my boat in the water!" Don't let the RECORD high oil prices get you down!
    SAY "NO" TO SNAIL BOTERS! Look at it this way, here in Hawaii, you can fish all year 'round, so you can be forced to pay for gas 12 months in a row. Sheesh.
    Gotta say that having fresh, hot cookies while you're out on the water sounds pretty dang good! I think with Spoiled One's boat, you'd probably be pretty okay with the fuel costs, and having the wife okay with that, I mean, what more could a guy ask for?????
    Just for comparison, we burned 65.00 in gas on Saturday; we were on the water for 12 hours, mostly trolling at 2700 rpm's (19' fiberglass hardtop boat, twin 60 hp. Yamaha 4 strokes). We did fish one of the buoy's for a couple hours, running up current, then drifting by in neutral, trying to bait yellowfins.
    Any of you guys get to Kauai, look me up.
    Jim

Default Fuel miser(y)

Golly,

I still spent WAY more fueling up my diesel truck than my boat! The mileage is better in the truck, however. My boat only got about 8mpg this weekend during the break-in run... Maybe even better but I'm just going by the topo route and the total gas consumption at $3.45/gal that puts me in the rarified .41 cents/mile!!!

Mind you I cannot bake cookies, take a warm shower or flush the potty. No complaints here, it keeps the whiners away and allows me some serious time for repose without interruptions...just the way it should be!

Cheers,

IceKing02

Default what

kind of boat are you running iceking02 ?

I get 2.7 - 3.1 MPG in my Hewes depending on conditions and what I decide is 'cruise' for the day. In the Glacier Craft I am hoping for 2.3 - 2.5 MPG.

So the Hewes is $1.14 - $1.31 per mile

And the GC will probably be $1.41 - $1.54 per mile

All based on $3.54 a gallon........
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Charterboat Operator

I'm with spoiled 1, 2 mpg at best so $2 per mile.
    sure is fun watching the speedo and the tack climb though, right until you look at the fuel miser next to it and see 44 GPH - kind of makes that ear to ear grin turn to

48 mph @ 44 gph = 1.09 mpg = $4/mile

dang good thing i can cover up that STUPID/IDIOTIC/LYING fuel management guage

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    kind of boat are you running iceking02 ?
    Probably something like a Zodiac w/15-30hp outboard is my guess....

Personally, I am selling mine and going back to floating the rivers..... I know it's not the same.....but this way, I can hit up all my friends that have boats and pay for gas....cheaper that way I figure because I don't have to buy the diesel for my truck to haul a boat with! Can't believe diesel is at 4.17 today - HS !!

My 36x12' boat gets 7 nmpg @ low cruise of 7knts.

Last time I took her to Kodiak from Seward, we burned 26 gallons of diesel port to port.

Hehe

(Road diesel is $4.70 in Seward)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    My 36x12' boat gets 7 nmpg @ low cruise of 7knts.

Last time I took her to Kodiak from Seward, we burned 26 gallons of diesel port to port.

Hehe

(Road diesel is $4.70 in Seward)
    Gotta admit, that is pretty awesome. However, with a 36 footer, that isn't something you can store in your yard and haul down to Seward or Whittier to launch. So you either keep it in dry-dock or have a slip. Total cost to operate comes out way more than 4.70/g.

I am lucky enough to have plenty of friends with boats that I can either do a drop off/camping trip, or go fishing with for the day or extended trips. I am more than happy to pay for gas when I go to spare the other associated costs of owning. Yeah, call me a 'renter' But in today's economy, and the US dollar growing ever weaker, would rather spend my money elsewhere....

(And to think that Bush announced earlier this week that we are NOT in a recession, JUST a slowdown....HA! )

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Gotta admit, that is pretty awesome. However, with a 36 footer, that isn't something you can store in your yard and haul down to Seward or Whittier to launch. So you either keep it in dry-dock or have a slip. Total cost to operate comes out way more than 4.70/g.
    Ya think?

There's a lot more to operating a boat than fuel costs! (Diesel fuel at the Seward dock is a good bit less than road diesel, but I haven't bought any since November... (2x200 gal tanks)

Last time I bought bottom paint, it was $165/gal. It takes about 4 gallons every couple years.
    $150 in borough taxes/yr and $30 to keep her documented an F/V too.

Insurance is cheap though, compared to a Bayliner or something of the sort.

And no, I don't haul my 36 footer around like a bass boat. I haul my truck on it sometimes, but not in a long time. If I want to take the boat to California or Hawaii, I get on the rhumb line and set wheel watches.

I do have a nice tender, 15' 6" long bank dory, that I built for beach parties. Suck it right up to the transom, and I get another knot due to increased LWL

PFD pays for the slip though.

Ya, I know I'm a little smug, but fuel economy was very important when I bought her. I knew fuel wasn't going to get any cheaper, and I have little need to blast around at automotive speeds. I putt along at displacement speeds and bag more fish and see more game than most. Plus, if I get sleepy, I stretch out in a nice soft bunk and take a nap while someone else watches the autopilot. Most of my friend''s kids are all about sitting wheel watches. I just don't tell them that all the alarms are set on the radar, gps, depth sounder, and that an adult is watching...

I can also make almost 100 gal of biodiesel at a time in my garage. WVO can be a pain to get, but I have friends in high places.
    The 3-71 loves it because it thickens ULSD and raises the lubricity. With straight ULSD, the 2-stroke diesel will snorkel a little @ idle, barely perceptible unless you own the engine and really look close, but not with 20-50% biodiesel added. The pump meters the thicker fuel a little better.

There's lots of costs to running a boat capable of leaving the bay, but fuel costs aren't a crusher for me because I don't have to go fast.

Default Ishmael, Sounds like...

The way I'd go when the day comes....

Not to go off topic - but would love to chat more about the bio-diesel you are making. Am seriously considering doing something of the sort just for the truck....ULSD is such a joke! Thanks, EPA, for nothing!
    Email is scsak067@gmail.com. Let's chat sometime about that!

Cheers,

Scott

10 mpg for me 20ft tolman 60 yamaha 4stroke

Default Looks a whole lot like this!

The engine is a 50hp Tohatsu--3.5gal/hr at WOT and I haven't even gotten the chance to run her flat-out yet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Now I am scared!

I have my 250 Evinrude with a pump on a 20ft Wooldridge Xtra plus. I burn about 9-10 gals an hour@ 4300RPM.

I am too scared to figure out the rest!

I am even more frighten as I have just bought a 1986 Sea Ray 300DB with 2 Merc cruisers in it.

I will be able make cookies and have ice cold beer too!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast