Thread: Eagle River

Default Eagle River

Has anyone floated Eagle River yet? I know it's low, just wondering if it is open all the way. I was out at North Fork put-in several weeks ago, and open there; it is also open at Loop Rd bridge....
    Anxious to get out!

Scott

Default Eagle River

On Monday, I took a hike from the Biggs Bridge almost all the way to the South Fork confluence and was able to walk on the ice most of the way. There are just a few open spots here and there, but it's melting fast.

Coaldust

just wondering if anyone has floated eagle river yet?

I'm wondering too? I looked over campground rapid two weeks ago and there were two guys in plastic kayaks looking over the drop. There was still a fair amount of ice around the rapid, but everywhere else was free. I bet it is mostly gone now.

When does the bridge - bridge usually get going?

Also, when does the Eagle river get it's daily melt surge? In the evening?

Thanks

The gage for South Central AK rivers can be found here: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pafc

It's showing about 200 CFS. Not much of a flow, and that's normal to a little low for mid-May. Like most glacier fed streams, it gradually rises through May & June, but doesn't usually get rippin' until July & August. It may be boatable now, but you often have to portage Campground Rapids until there is enough water to float your boat through the slot. Fortunately, the flow is low enough that you can boat almost right down to it to get a look before committing yourself. But I suspect the shallow area about 1/2 mile above the rapids might be difficult to find enough water to dodge the rocks right now.

There is normally a daily melt surge that raises the flow in the evening, but as you can see from the gage, there isn't much of anything surging right now. You can see it more readily on warm days in mid July.

Default Mac

We floated from the Glenn down on 5/21 and 5/25. Pretty bony but beautiful as always (gage was at about 3.5). Didn't see another soul. Campground didn't look worth the trouble of humping the boats and we forgot our "wheels". Plenty of water for a light loaded boat - good warm up - expect to carry it a ways at the take out on FT. Rich.