Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Kenai this saturday the 26th

Thumbs up Upper Kenai this saturday the 26th

Heading down to float this weekend. Just doing sportmans to jims. Took the raft down and got it aired up and stored with the camper so it is time for a shake down run and with the river closing on the 1st this is as good as it gets. Got some new smolt patterns and some new leeches im looking to try. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also is anyone else making a run down this weekend. I should be launching about 9am. Wife (aka alaskafishgoddess) is recovering from sugery but one of my best buds said he would fill in and and fish and float if he has too. LOL Just look for the two loonies in the royal blue cat having just to much fun
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Don't forget some....

Leach, sculpin, and other various nymph patterns...

Thumbs up

Thanks TYNMON. I do have my sculpins in the case as some nymphs. I will make sure to give them a try. I have had success with nymphs before but have never put the sculpin on. Ill make sure to give it a shot. Thanks again

Default Im thinking about it

I have a 14' raft I have yet to use. Thinking about taking the wife and 2 kids. How do you guys get back up to were you launch?? 2 Trucks!!!
    Does anyone offer pickup and drop off??

Thanks guys!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default yes

wildmans the store on the right before you cross the bridge will shuttle you for about 20 bucks. I have used them and they are very very very honest and have no issues with them. The other thing is launch your boat, raft, device and drive down and park. If your in your waders and haveur thumb out you will get picked up withing 20 minutes. Also when your launhing see who is doing a shuttle run offer them 5 or 10 bucks. I have never had anyone accept money but they have always said get in we will give you a ride. All good people down there right now. Come down and float and fish. I have one other buddy joining me with his boat too. Lets ave some fun

Sorry i clicked on some button and it is chopping letters out of my type.

Fish on or as my wife says woooooo hooooo

Default Sounds like a plan

I will head down friday night and fish Sat.

The kids should have some fun.

Ulralight ugly sticks for them fly rod for me!

I'm jealous! If I weren't on crutches & my ankle wasn't out of whack I would be floatin' the river on my Water Master!

Might want to try some flesh patterns, too!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    I'm jealous! If I weren't on crutches & my ankle wasn't out of whack I would be floatin' the river on my Water Master!

Might want to try some flesh patterns, too!

I am bringing all my gear and of course i have flesh and beads too. I can relate to not being able to go. I was going to go all last weekend and the perfect weather hit but the wife ended up in sugery. She is a die hard fisherwoman and knows i love to fish but if I had left town I would have had to leave town forever. Even I am not that stupid. Bummed yes, stupid no and of course I was just smiling and happy for her. Im sure she was thinking he is bummed but sometimes you got to suck it up.

Sweet looking floater there. That should allow you to fish and float in alot of rivers and have some fun. So if anyone is down there this weekend stop by and say hi and there is always a cold on in the cooler on the boat.

i'm jealous, hopefully i can make it down ther when it reopens, im going to buy either a float tube or a cat for when i go down there. good luck!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    i'm jealous, hopefully i can make it down ther when it reopens, im going to buy either a float tube or a cat for when i go down there. good luck!

A cat is the way to go. No float tubes. You do not want your body in the water getting beat on by rock, sticks or anything for that matter. Never seen a tube on there and have seen many post advising against it. Go with the cat

Default I'm headin that way as well

We are going to drift the upper on Saturday and likely sunday as well. Hit is last Sunday--beautiful day, but slow fishing. Sounds like the weather will be crappy, so hope the fishing is better--either way, I always enjoy a day on the water behind the oars, regardless of weather and how hot or slow the fishing. Luck to all this weekend.

Anyone seen Skilak this week? Dying to float the middle.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Yep sounds good

This will be my first float on the raft. Its old but I bought it for 300 $ and fixed a few minor minor leaks. It holds air ian all 4 main chambers for 24+ hours and only losse a little air in 1 of 3 seat / cross member chambers.

I have 5 diff flesh, 3 smolt, 4 egg, and various small kiwk fish very small. also have spoons, spinners, blades. Cant waite. kids and wife will get cold but I figure kenai lake to russian ferry should be a good day!! Four people and four different patterns should get a few. I have never done this farea before! Should I expect rainbows and dollies?? Of what size?? Plan on running 8 lb line on all poles!

I am ready for this. It's all I will think about the next week when Im on the slope for 19 days

black and white dolly lama's
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ak powder

So I haven't figured you out. Im guessing you dont like sharing info but recieving, or your just up tight. All the good info shared and people lookinf out for fellow alaskan's. You seem to always have a smart remark. Well if your affraid I might show my kids a great place and way to fish and it may be your " money Hole" , " Hog Haven" or " " Lunker layer" I will leave some for you. I return all my trout un harmed.

Thanks to al those with advice. I think the weather will turn and we will have a 49-51 degree day.

Now THIS sounds like a fun time!
    Dang, I'm envious... Have a blast!!
    Pics if you can, for us less fortunate souls, eh?

Speedy recovery for your wife, alaskachuck.

Soon . .
    Doc

Default Skilak

Will, Skilak rd is hammered, mud holes and big ruts. The lake is coming apart but still frozen out to the outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    So I haven't figured you out. Im guessing you dont like sharing info but recieving, or your just up tight. All the good info shared and people lookinf out for fellow alaskan's. You seem to always have a smart remark. Well if your affraid I might show my kids a great place and way to fish and it may be your " money Hole" , " Hog Haven" or " " Lunker layer" I will leave some for you. I return all my trout un harmed.

Thanks to al those with advice. I think the weather will turn and we will have a 49-51 degree day.
    Whoa there motoboatn.......unless there's a post that's been deleted that got you riled up, maybe you're the one that needs to loosen up a bit in this case.

A Dolly Lama (or Dali Lama) is the name of a fly...it's a nose weighted leech type pattern and looks like a pretty good suggestion too....check the following links.....

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...hp?photo=10047

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=JF211

Hopefully the weather will let up and you and your family have a great time. It was pretty snotty out this morning...wind and snow...it is spring right???
    Last edited by akfishinguy; 04-25-2008 at 13:39. Reason: fix link

Default My mistake

I was alittle up tight I guess!
    Ak powder MY bad. Thanks for the advice.

Not big into fly fishing Obviuosly! SO I didn't know of such a fly!

Well as the snow falls I just wonder if the kids will last on the float or if it's going to be to much trouble and make them not like fishing!

We'll See!

I fished the upper last SUnday, bridge down to the Russian and the fishing was slooooooooow. We caught some fish at and just below the bridge and from there down had no success whatsoever. Black leeches worked quite successfully but the water level gets pretty low at the lower half of the float. There were a few areas just above the Russian where we had to get out and walk the boat down. I will confess that most of my upper river floats cover the Russian down to Jim's which I hit hard, like many of you, in the summer and fall. I've only floated the upper upper 10-15 times throughout my years. Regardless of my lesser knowledge of the holes, the river's pretty low in alot of places which equates to lack of a bent rod.

After we vacated the area at/right below the bridge, we continued with black leeches and switched up when we didn't hit anything. Threw smolt patterns, esl's, beads... everything but the kitchen sink. My buddy caught a ride back to the bridge (call Wildman in advance to be sure he's shuttling as we counted on their service which was unavailable that day) and the guy who was kind enough to provide the transportation floated the Russian to Jim's and they apparently did hit anything. I'm not sure what they were using...

A friend of mine drove Skilak Loop last weekend and sai the road was atrocious. I'd love to float the middle on Sunday but from the sounds of things it wouldn't be wise to tow a drift boat down the Loop. Anybody been out there lately? I'd be curious to know if the ice is gone...

Tight lines to all!

Default ice

As of Sunday the ice was still out to 100 yds of the point, might have opened up as far as the pond but I doubt it could've receded much further. The road however is definately not trailer worthy, throw 6" of snow on top and it will make it real hard to tell where you want to be to try and avoid the worst.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast