Thread: Anyone ever fished Adak?

Default Anyone ever fished Adak?

I'm hearing reports of outstanding salmon fishing in the creeks and lagoons....anyone have any personal experience with that?

Supporting Member

Default Adak fishing

Spent 12 years living on Adak and another 73 days there removing fox for the USF&W Service in 2002. Fishing is great for sea-run Dollies in Clam Lagoon (north end of island) during incoming tides. Best area to wade and cast small curly tail grubs or #3 spinners is half-way out the spit (by the old pumphouse, if it is still standing) on the east side (Candlestick Bridge side of lagoon). Caught lots of nice Dollies to 26" and 3 1/2 lbs. Lots of Pink Salmon in the lagoon during even-numbered years and while all the small creeks emptying into the lagoon seem to have some, you might try off the mouth of Shotgun Creek as a hotspot. Any of the beach areas (NavFac to Kuluk) are also good for sea-run Dollies, as well as Airport Creek (off the north end of the runway). Finger Bay probably has the largest run of Pink Salmon if the locals haven't destroyed the runs by over-fishing. For Reds, you may want to try hiking down to Hidden Bay, or if you have access to a boat, try the small inlet 2/3 the way down Kagalaska Strait on the Kagalaska side. Nice saltwater inlet where the fish stack up before making the 50 yard run up the creek to the lake. You might also want to make a trip to the south end of Kagalaska Island and check out Quail Bay. Used to be huge runs of Sockeyes and a nice place to spend a weekend. We used to do our "personal-use" gill-netting in Quail Bay. Halibut fishing around the island can be awesome. I think I still hold the island rod & reel record with a 383 pounder I caught in 1987. Some folks used to "ballon" fish for halibut off the end of the jetty at the entrance to Sweeper's cove (where the red, white and blue sheds are located) and catch an occassional halibut. I know they frequent the harbor area, because when the weather was too bad to get out, we'd set longlines in the harbor during a commercail season, and always manage to scratch out a couple of flatfish. Ton's of Black Rockfish along the face of the jetty as well if you just like to catch fish. If you need any other specifics, PM me a number where I can give you a call.

I was there for 8 months in 2002. Every creek had more fish than you could count. If you go look for Shipmate, if he is still there he will point you in the right direction.

Any silvers???