Thread: Autoscales

Default Autoscales

Hi there;
    Looks like RCBS is the leader in autoscales at $409.00 compared to the less expensive Lyman at $369.00
    Anybody have any advice?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default Autoscale or?

Are you refering to the RCBS auto dispenser/scale combo? If you just want an electronic scale, I highly recommend the RCBS 750. Holds it's zero very well and is quite accurate and easy to calibrate.

I have a Pact scale/dispenser that I bought a few years ago. If memory serves me correct, it was the same as the RCBS, just a different color. It has worked flawlessly for me. I would never be without one again!

I don' tknow if this is still true, but PACT used to make the digital scales for RCBS. Maybe they still do, I just don't know.

Brent

Yes, it's the same thing only in green. They area great contraption. I have sold and set up a few of those Lyman all in one dispensers and they are quite a bit faster than the PACT/RCBS duo. I haven't spent much time with the Lyman but I do like them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and it is great.

I bought it over the lyman because the buttons are covered and I read somewhere that powder granules could get stuck around the buttons of the Lyman.

I paid $329.99 for it at SW.

You could buy a Rcbs Chargemaster 1500 for about $335 shipped on EBay.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yup, the RCBS is the way to go.

Occaisionally wipe the inside/outside of the draft cover, the outside of the machine proper, and the inside/outside of the dispenser pan, and the powder pan. If you do this, you will never have any problems with powder granules flying around and erroneous readings due to magnetic fluctuations when it is real dry. The static about drive me nuts until the lady at RCBS told me this trick.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Magnetic Fluctuations

Yeah, hard to believe.
    I used to have a TV on the bench, then I noticed my scales tip when I turned it on. No more TV, nothing on anyhow. No extra electronics. Never heard of humidity coming into play. Murphy said the Lyman is faster, both good.
    Have you tried both? Money not being much a factor to a reloader...
    Thanks,
    Mark

No, I have only the RCBS and the old fashioned, slower balances.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Lyman

I have the Lyman DPS II upgraded with the new powder box and tube. Works much better and is much easier to clean now that it's very similar to the DPS III. I love it, and would never go back. I only use the powder throw on the Dillon when I'm cranking out plinking loads.

I have nothing bad to say about the RCBS - never used one. Just a definite "2 thumbs up" for the Lyman!

Chris

I love my Lyman DPS3 a lot!
    Bought mine for 240.00 last winter before Sportsmans jacked up the price.
    So far really reliable, and I have run it through many checks and testing.

6mmBR did a review of several:

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm

I've got the RCBS Chargemaster and it works fast enough for me - has a new charge ready by thge time I have finished seating the bullet - course I'm not trying to set any speed records

Another Lyman DPS guy

Although I use it in conjuction with Lee Dippers

Default Autoscales

Thanks for all the help!
    Bob, that link killed off all my worries.
    All of them these days are good, and everyone who owns one thinks his is the best. That is good news indeed. I have opted for the RCBS but all you other guys out their have little to worry about, apparently, autoscales have come a long way since I first looked at them and competition has driven the quality a long way.
    Alas...the thrill of endless trickling is gone...---sniff---
    My sincere thanks to all who checked in, a great bunch here.
    Mark

I like Pact combos for the following reason: years ago I bought a Pact electronic scale, the one with the infrared port on the side. If I would want an electronic powder dispenser, then all I would have to buy would be the one made by Pact, keeping the cost down at $129.00 for the dispenser. I prefer separate units. That way, if the dispenser goes bad, I can continue using the scale while waiting for the dispenser to be repaired. Also, there are times when I just want to weight bullets or brass, and not to dispense powder.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

The RCBS is a combo system and I use the scale all the time when not pouring powder.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The RCBS is a combo system and I use the scale all the time when not pouring powder.
    That's a good thing. That's the reason why I will buy a Pact dispenser, since I don't need to buy both (I already have the scale for it). At $129.00 for the dispenser, I can't complain.

Default lyman

I too, have the Lyman and love it!!!! Never had the powder/static issue YET! Some of the fine powders do kinda slow it up a bit when dispensing but never too bad. Used it for four years now and never had any probs; just dont throw the thing around and it'll do what you need.

Thumbs up Rcbs

Have a RCBS Chargemaster for about 3 yrs now.........works great!

Note: You can get it cheaper at Midway/Midsouth........once setup never move it. When changing powders dump.......then get a small vac hose to get residue powder out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...151&t=11082005
    Alaska