Thread: Atv and water

Default Atv and water

I just bought my first Atv a forman 500 Rubicon and I was wondering how deep of water I can go in without special equipment (which I have no interest in).

I was told that as long as the water was not higher than the top of the front wheels I do not have to worry.

Based on your experience, what say you.

BearBob,

I am not familiar with Honda quads but how deep you can go depends on where your intakes are located. Take a look at your quad (you might have to pull some plastic off) and see where your "air intake" is located and where your tranny intake is located. I have Yamahas with a CVT so I don't know if the Honda tranny has the same sort of intake. If I am wrong, I am sure a more "honda smart" individual will set me strait. Back to the topic...The air intake and tranny intake are the two spots that water will generally enter and stop you dead in the water. Find the location of these intakes and pick a spot on your quad that is of similar height and that you can see when riding. Don't go deeper than that spot on your quad. The other place water can enter is your exhaust. When crossing deep water, place your quad in a lower gear and keep the rpms high. This will increase air flow from your exhaust and help keep water out. The top of the tires should be a good rule of thumb but that will really limit your riding in Alaska. It seems every trail around the state has at least one deep water crossing during some point of the year. Good luck....I am sure a honda owner will chime in here pretty soon with good information. Enjoy your quad!

For a point of comparison...I take my Yamahas in water up to the headlights all the time without sucking in any water and I have no snorkels added. My wife's polaris 500 is the same way...

Here is a picture of a couple friends of mine riding my wife's polaris...no water was sucked in on either of these crossings.

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

i was told by the dealer that air intake for the honda is towards the top of the gas tank.So you can go about as high as the top of the seat,safely.

The Honda will run thru as much water as any other ATV. If your butt is dry it should still run.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    The Honda will run thru as much water as any other ATV. If your butt is dry it should still run.
    On the Yamahas, if your butt is wet you are still good to go. When in doubt, "water wheelie" across the crossing.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    On the Yamahas, if your butt is wet you are still good to go. When in doubt, "water wheelie" across the crossing.
    So thats why all the new machines are 650 or bigger. For better water crossing.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I would not go above the seat, the air snorkel runs under the gas tank, if you go above that your going to drown your machine. I've crossed some fairly deep rivers with my Foreman but I know my limitations.

Just remove your seat and have a look. The air intake should be right behind the fuel tank. The owners manual should point you in the right direction if you still need help. Enjoy your new machine.

Default Deep

Nice pics...I have not gone even close to that deep. Maybe to the tops of my tires, but that's it.

Originally posted by BEARBOB

I just bought my first Atv a forman 500 Rubicon and I was wondering how deep of water I can go in without special equipment (which I have no interest in).

I was told that as long as the water was not higher than the top of the front wheels I do not have to worry.

Based on your experience, what say you.
    here is a pic on my 08 honda rubicon.

right the bottom of the gastank is where the air intake is. So dont worry about getting water above the tires as long as it isnt about your seat. any water above that level and you'll be a very expensive anchor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input, I now have a good idea of the limitations.

Default Limitations

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Thanks for the input, I now have a good idea of the limitations.
    The only limitations any quad has is the rider. I have seen WG and dws ride through water 8 plus feet deep and keep going with no problems. Would I do it, no but It sure was impressive seeing it.

Get some electric grease and hit all your electrical connections, and try to keep the front end up in the deeper crossings.

Doug

Default Rubicon

I've had my '01 Rubicon in water to just below the front rack and kept running. It died in water right at the top of the front rack. Luckily, it didn't suck water into the engine, just died. I just dried out the air filter and was on my way again.

If it does die in deep water, wait until you're back on dry ground to try starting it, and check the oil. If the oil looks like a milkshake, change it immediately, start it for a few seconds and change it again...maybe a couple more times, til your oil looks normal again. At least that's what my buddy did with his Arctic Cat when he drowned it several years ago, and the thing is still running like a champ.

Default Too Deep

The attached pic will show you what is too deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by loknlod View Post
    Just remove your seat and have a look. The air intake should be right behind the fuel tank. The owners manual should point you in the right direction if you still need help. Enjoy your new machine.
    Wow I must be odd. The first thing I did when I got my Honda years ago was get out the owners manual and check everything out.
    Air Filter,Plugs, Fuel shut off and all of it's funtions. Checked these all out in the warmth of the garage instead of trying to figure out everything in the field.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Brumwa View Post
    The attached pic will show you what is too deep.
    Waterboarding an ATV...that's just plain wrong!

Talking Too Deep?

Here's why I own an Argo, it's never too deep and this is all the Atv's see when we come to open water Just my .02
    Last edited by fishingis4play; 07-06-2008 at 12:08.

Thumbs up Water

If your seals and eletrical/starter/coil are tight no problem with water........but if not!

I try to keep mine out of the deep stuff.........for prolong crossings

1988 Honda Foreman 350D
    Alaska

Default air intake

Actually, your intake starts out on the right side under the front rack. I.ve had it submerged up to the bottom of thre front rack and made it ok.
    You dont have a belt drive tranny so that is not an issue. I've drowned em out several times. Change the oil and filter if the oil is milky and continue on. You dont need to repeatedly change the oil. If you hydro the piston, pull the plug, turn kill switch to off and hit the starter until the water is gone. Drain the carb, tip it on its tail if you want to drain the exhaust. Put the plug back in and start it up.