Thread: Bears and Snowmachines

Default Bears and Snowmachines

A buddy and I are thinking of going up to the Skwentna area after bears this weekend. We'd have to launch out of Deshka Landing, ride down the Susitna, and go back up the Yentna. Anyone know if the rivers are any good? If anyone has other ideas about how to get in there this weekend, please throw 'em out there. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

i could be wrong, since i'm not over in the that country much..but running rivers on a snow go right now, is that wise??? i'd say stay to the high country if your planning on traveling on snow and avoid watersheds....but someone esle in here might have some better insight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Open water

We were over there this past weekend. I am not sure how far up you were planning to go, but parts of the river were open. It was awful warm this past weekend up there and probably warmer this week. The strip at Skwenta was nearly all gravel on Sunday, probably entirely gravel right now. Doable? Yes, but probably not the best decision unless you really know the area.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Buddy and I rode up to Lake Creek up the Yentna and it was absolutely rock solid the whole way up. People still freighting last weekend with no overflow and the only open lead we saw was where lake creek dumps in. It has been warm but may be doable...I dunno...Also, we went to Bulchitna lake and some people out there said they drilled through the ice and it was still 30" thick.

Default Too warm

I wouldn't do it. Daytime temps since Sunday have been in the high 40's-50's in Willow to mid 60's, in Talkeetna. Nighttime's been below freezing, so early in the morning might be ok, but you get into trouble awful fast running the river in these conditions. What snow there is will be hard, and with temps that high you'll likely end up with a burned out engine. I live on a creek on Nancy Lake, and Monday morning it was rock hard, two hours later it was 20 feet wide and raging. It happens quick!

Thanks for the input, guys. Flew up there yesterday, and you're right. Many spots on the river were open. It probably could be done, but being the Texas boy that I am, snowmachining on spring rivers isn't my forte. Take care.

Barron

Quote Originally Posted by BBrittingham View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Flew up there yesterday, and you're right. Many spots on the river were open. It probably could be done, but being the Texas boy that I am, snowmachining on spring rivers isn't my forte. Take care.
    Barron
    I was going to suggest a fly-over.

You can see dens from the air, and, you can factor in the terrain.

If you have acceptable conditions going in, you might have crappy conditions on the way out. ...

In your region I'd be looking more toward short runs off of the Glenn or possibly Hatchers Pass on snowputts.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Brother in law rode hatchers today and spotted a big griz fresh from the den. If you are thinking about going up I would caution against it! The heavy wet snow we just had is causing very bad conditions. They triggered one good slide in a ravine and are luckey to get out. They weren't high marking just riding a bowl. They saw 5 other slides while they were out and there are enormous sag lines and cracks in the hanging snow.

While up hatcher pass on Sat (4/19) we saw about a dozen fresh slides. With all this fresh snow its going to be making things pretty dangerous after the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw cycles we went through. Like little ball-bearings for the snow to ride down...