Thread: USCG 6-pack required for Commercial Raft Operators?

Default USCG 6-pack required for Commercial Raft Operators?

Is a USCG License, 6-pack/Captains License, required for... commercial raft operators? in fresh water, whether or not a motor is used?
    If so, does someone have a link to the USCG requirements?

Default USCG 6-pack required for Commercial Raft Operators?

Try calling the Regional Exam Center in Anchorage at (907) 271-6736. They're at 800 E. Dimond Blvd. Suite 3-227 (Dimond Center). Mike

If it don't have a motor you don't need a 6 pack licence. Works the same for canoes, rafts, drift boats and Kayaks. And is one of the reasons you will never see me guiding from a boat with a motor on it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I don't think so , I know a guide service here in Talkeetna takes people up to clear creek on a jet boat dumps off all the clients ,guides and the rafts then heads back home I know those guides do not have a 6-pac.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default The uncertainty is....

that I know of commercial raft operators who tell me that they have their USCG license because the USCG told them they needed one if they operate on a navigable waterway. Which I understand is anything that has a flow to it and will float a craft of any kind.

P.S. Tried to call the USCG in Anchorage to ask this question, left a message (before this thread was started) and have not heard back from them. They sounded busier than a one armed paper hanger.

Guess I need to try again.

I know for a fact that most raft guides in Talkeetna do NOT have a six-pack license.

Default Guide License also

For what its worth, as a Registered Alaska Guide (Big Game), I operated for years with power boats with another Registered moving hunters and camps all over the proverbial half-acre and we never had or needed a 6 pack, it all fell under under the umbrella of the training for the license I suppose (yeah, mmm hmm, right) or maybe we were just never approached about it. Oz