Thread: SportJet problem

Default SportJet problem

Last time my boat (SportJon with carbed 210 Hp Merc SportJet) was run last year, it started missing, lost power and would only get to 2-3 mph at nearly full throttle. Rpms were not excessively high or low, I'm told...I wasn't there and haven't had it on the water yet this year; would like to get it fixed before taking it out. It also took a full tank of fuel to get from their camp across Kenai Lake back to the truck, and there was excessive exhaust from the right side, but not the left. It didn't overheat and there was nothing blocking the intake.

I've started it up on the hose this year, but can't rev it very high. It seems to be skipping a bit, mainly on the right side. I've checked all the spark plugs, they look fine. Ran some carb cleaner through the carbs, too. I had put Stabil in the tank before they ran it out on Kenai Lake, to get the innards all ready for winter; Compeau's said that and taking out the battery are all that's needed for winterizing, basically running the Sta-Bil through it has trhe same effect as fogging it.

Any ideas? Any Mercury mechanics feel like comin over and helpin me cuss at it before I take it to Marita and throw a pile of money toward 'em?

Default ?

What year is your boat? I believe your motor is running in "safe mode", something very similar happened to my buddy.

Check your oil reservoir on the right side (as your facing the transom) of your engine about halfway up, about the size of say an empty toilet paper roll or thereabouts, make sure it is full and if possible the lines to it are clear and leak free, air is bad.

The safe mode on your merc will not let you over rev it to keep it from being damaged, the hit and miss sounds like air from your oil supply, if it's getting intermittent heavy exhaust that sounds like it could be the culprit as well...sucking air then getting a heavy shot of oil, back to air...fill that reservoir first, I don't remember if there is a ball coming from your main tank but if so give it a couple squeezes, cross fingers. Let me know if it works.

Cody

Oh, I asked about year because he also had to replace his exhaust tubing between motor and port as it had a slight angle to it where rubber was exposed and kept burning through. Good luck.

The boat's an '04, with a 2003 engine. The oil reservoir is right in front on top. I don't think it's air in the oil, as it'll still get up to "normal" rpms, but misses and skips, both at idle and with some throttle. One tech I talked to said he thinks it might be the ignition stator?

Default shoot

was hoping to get you a cheap fix however, just talked to my friend and the oil was the first diagnosis and not correct, they had to replace the "cam sensor switch", although neither of us knows what that is exactly???? long story short, it sounds very much like your problems but it wasn't something we could fix...hope you get if figured out. Oh, tried to find out how much it cost him but they did his exhaust work at the same time so it was combined price wise. luck
    Cody

His boat is an '03 as well, Compeau's had a welder make a custom well 2 custom pieces to fix his exhaust, hopefully you won't have that problem, probably not since you haven't yet.

Akroadkill,

I'm shaking my head and smiling. I'm coming down your way in mid May and after an adventure in Homer will be headin back to Fairbanks. If you need any help from me with anything, just say the word.

with normal rpms and 2-3 mph I would suspect a problem in the jet, maybe something stuck in the stator or wedged in the impellor?
    What did they say the rpms were?
    have you checked the reeds? I have seen the metal sportjet reeds fail at 120 hrs.
    how many hours on the motor?
    maybe some crap in the carbs
    try a spark check light on each cyl on the right cyl bank to see if you are dropping spark when it misses
    feel free to give me a call 240 6138

Default Test tanks suck!

Any marina or boat repair shop with out water,a place to verfie repair
    may in up costing you! Marita work on mine for two years,with out fixing
    it.They thought the warranty would run out! not! i am passing this info on because i am p--- off with the lack of service!
    Hauled the boat to a marina with water they test drove it and said this thing runs like carp. I handed the 17 prior work orders .

Well, my options are kind of limited right now, since there is no repair place around (at least none I know of) with open water to actually run the boat. So I pretty much have to take it in, get it diagnosed and repaired and hope for the best. Then I'll run it on the Knik to verify it's working...unless someone can give me a better option?

Nothing in the jet, and I don't have a "spark check light", or know how to use one if I did. How would I check reeds?

when checking reeds with a normal two stroke outboard a good indicator is higher than normal compression. Reeds restrict the amount of incoming air to the cylinders, they are used to atomize the fuel/air mixture, so less restriction (broken reeds) = more air = higher compression. I'm not sure this method would work with your engine as I am unfamiliar with the mercury sportjet intake layout but basically your reeds are located behind your carburators in a normal intake.

you can pick a a spark test light at any auto parts store, you simply remove a plug wire from the spark plug, and plug it on the male terminal of the checker then plug the female terminal of the device onto the plug, now run the motor and watch the light (it will flash every time the plug sparks) if it is eratic or intermittant you have found an ignitoin problem. test on all cylinders.
    To check the reeds you can sometimes get a peak by looking through the carb but the best way is to pull the intake manifold. Bad reeds would give you low to no cranckcase compression, in turn lesss air into the cylinder, causing low compression.
    call if you have more ?'s (907) 240 6138 I am in the valley

I guess sportjets are different than conventional outboards because severely damaged reeds in my outboards have given higher compression, that's a fact. Missing or broken reed petals give less resistance to air flow and result in higher volumes of air into the crankcase and thus higher compression numbers in the cylinders. 1/2 of my reeds were missing on my motor and I was seeing compression numbers over 160 psi vs the 120 psi that was normal. I guess if for some reason the reed petals were not broken but stuck together then exactky the opposite would happen. For mercury service try Bob at Bob's Big Lake marine. He is fair, honest, and timely in his work. He has been working on mercury products forever. When I called him and asked him why my compression was so high he diagnosed it over the phone and he was right.

Default Thanks

I got an appointment to take it in on Wednesday, and with this being a busy time of year, I don't want to cancel and possibly have to wait a few more weeks, so I don't have time to do the stuff myself. I might do the spark test before I take it in, so I can let the mechanics know what I find; but I imagine they'll do that anyway. If it's skipping spark on one cylinder, would that indicate a stator problem?

They're telling me it's the stator, so it's getting replaced. Should have it back within a couple weeks. Hope that's the only issue; lookin forward to getting back out on the water!

Default Merc

The stator is a very common failure & easy to ck with a dva meter. I was reading some of this & I saw "a cam sensor" new to me on a 2 stroke. good luck it sounds like they are on the right path

Thumbs up cool

glad you got her figured out...the "cam sensor" was a new one for me too but that's what my buddy was told....dunno

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    The stator is a very common failure & easy to ck with a dva meter. I was reading some of this & I saw "a cam sensor" new to me on a 2 stroke. good luck it sounds like they are on the right path

Hope it ain't too common...costin' me several Franklin portraits to fix it. Would like it if I ain't gotta spend that much very frequently.

I got the call that it's done. I'll pck it up Monday, unless I get the itch and go into town today. Hope it's all good. I'll get all the safety gear back in it and probably try it out on Finger Lake before I try any rivers.

Default Seems to work okay.

I picked the boat up yesterday and took it out to Finger Lake today. seemed to do fine; no issues at all. Ran it a couple hours and took it up to 40+ mph, with no signs of trouble. Hope it stays fixed for awhile!