Thread: Homer or Seward in May

Question Homer or Seward in May

I've got family coming up in the middle of may and am trying to decide wheter we should book a charter out of Homer or Seward (primarily interested in mid sized halibut (40-70lbs), but also other species). I would really like some help. Thanks, James

This might help. The drive from Anchorage to

Seward is around 2 hours

Homer 4 hours

Seward you have to go out furthure to get Halibut

Homer you don't have to go as far.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

May is a great time for Halibut out of Seward, aside from being a little chilly, it was probably one of my favorite times as a captain to fish. The trips are half as long because you don't need to go out nearly as far and there is far less competition for the fishing spots. The fish that you are seeking are pretty abundant that time of year. The big breeders are not there yet, but the 40-100 range can be caught consistantly. The only thing that you might want to watch out for is the weather, it still varies alot at that time of the year, either you will be in flat calm and sunny weather, or won't be going out at all. Hope this helps, I am not sure who would be going out at that time of the year, I would assume that Profish-n-sea, Crackerjack, Saltwater, Alaskan Summer, and Alaska Offshore would be operating at that time. As a ("retired") captain of the area, I would recommend all of these outfitters for a fishing trip in May.

Hope this helps,
    -Ben

May is a tough time, since the bigger fish really won't have shown up yet. But you should have no trouble getting some 40-70# fish if the weather is good. Just from experience, Homer is the place to go. Lots of fish and lots of big fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Homer or Seward

Just go with someone good at either port and you will come home with some fish and will have a fun day on the water.

If you like driving and want them to see a bunch of country go to Homer. If you want to see a bunch of shoreline and ocean and would rather not drive so far, come to Seward.

Either way the fish are probabaly about the same in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    I've got family coming up in the middle of may and am trying to decide wheter we should book a charter out of Homer or Seward (primarily interested in mid sized halibut (40-70lbs), but also other species). I would really like some help. Thanks, James

First off, let me say that I havent even visited AK yet, but, I do have a bit of advice.

I had the same dilemna a few weeks ago on whether to go from Homer, Seward or Whittier during the first week of July. What Ive realised after reading post after post after post after post after post ( I read A LOT of them), was that there is no clear 'winner'.

So what I did instead, was base my decision on what I would get to do and see when I was NOT on the charter boat. I figured that if Im going to HOmer or Seward, I will spend a few days there anyways, so other than fishing, what would your family like to do or see?

In my case I chose Homer only because I wanted to see the spit and fish the lagoon. Also my gf loves visiting little towns, and galleries and I heard there are a few galleries in Homer, so my decision was based on which town I wanted to visit, not really because I thought I would catch more fish.

Just my 2 cents.