Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Church Rd B-29 Wasila Trail Conditions

Thumbs up Church Rd B-29 Wasila Trail Conditions

Does anyone know if the trail-head off Church Rd is clear of snow as of 22 April 08? Particularly if the marsh prior to the crash site is reachable on ATV's? Planning on going 5 May..... Thanks.

Default church

the trail is so so. alot of snow in spots but you can get there i would think i havent been all the way but most of it and it was a cake walk. if the weather stays like this is should be real muddy for ya too

We've run into deep snow in the depressions and valleys in late June. The mountain is still totally white.

Quote Originally Posted by dansvan View Post
    We've run into deep snow in the depressions and valleys in late June. The mountain is still totally white.
    I was wondering what trail jesseakhunter was talking about being a cakewalk right now. Not the B-29 that's for sure.

Thanks for the updates any suggestions other than Jims Creek for the first week in May? I would hate to waste a vacation day to drive somwhere and find it is not passable....I am itching to ride now and need a change of scenary from Knik....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fun View Post
    Thanks for the updates any suggestions other than Jims Creek for the first week in May? I would hate to waste a vacation day to drive somwhere and find it is not passable....I am itching to ride now and need a change of scenary from Knik....
    All us atvers get that way at this time of the year. Mostly because were living at sea level in anch and the valley and there's no snow and it's warm. The thing is all these trails out of town we want to ride are 2,3,4 thousand feet in elevation. Look up that high on the mountains in the valley or anchorage, what do ya see? The same thing you're going to see on them trails.
    Your best bet for trails to open by May 5 are Sutton, Kings River, and Permanente. B-29 and Hatchers pass are later, on par with Gunsight, Boulder and Pinochle. Squaw, Belanger, Old man and Eureka are last, near the end of May or June. The bad thing is 75% bare ground and 25%patches of wet, sugarsnow will stop ya dead right there. Winch and work to get across. It don't take long for a guy to say the hell with this and turn around
    You still got 12 days till the 5th. Somebody will post on trail conditions after this next weekend.
    By the way I've personaly tried to run every trail, too early, in years past

Thanks for the info!

Made a go at Eska Falls on Tuesday. Didn't get too close. It was a stuck fest with three feet of soft "sugar" snow. Spent six hours lifting ATV's and winching. Had a blast.

Default humm

obviosly not and here i thought i knew the trail i was on.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    obviosly not and here i thought i knew the trail i was on.
    You were probably on the right trial. It's a longer trail than how far you went. It climbs way up. The climbs are rated pretty difficult by people and would still have plenty of snow. If you take the trail from the willow side it climbs up immediatly.

When you hit those big snowfields I found that getting off your wheeler and walking it across works pretty well. We rode this trail last spring and there was quite a bit of snow still. The big hill near the top can be a real hazard, we watched a guy on a Honda almost make it to the top but didn't, he tried to turn it and it rolled downhill about 7-8 times, bent the machine up pretty good but I think he was still able to ride it out.

Default huh

well in that case we got through the valley past cable hill up the steep part about 2 weeks ago(it might have been 3). snow was hard enough to ride on. the south side was icy had to hit it hard on the way back. but it was very doable. the only reason we didnt go farther was cause it started snowing like a big dog and couldnt see real well so we tuned around we were almost to the top but im not sure if you have to go down and then up again.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    When you hit those big snowfields I found that getting off your wheeler and walking it across works pretty well.
    Getting off and walking it happened to work in the "snow" you tried obviously. There's a reason eskimos have dozens of words for snow "in every one of it's states". The wet, sugar snow that is most prevelant in the spring at elevation isn't very crossable by getting off the machine and walking it. I use that method also in deep mud when I'm on a light machine. Big bore machines don't care if you get off.
    Perhaps Water-Gremlin and Snug can chime in about our attempts to cross springtime wet, sugarsnow
    Ask Fishkill in this thread how well walking the machine worked in sugarsnow.

Try walking next to a machine waist deep in snow and water. If you can hang on you might get drug around till you go under a tire. It does work to get a little momentum going then jumping on to go a few more yards before getting stuck again.

Default trail head

where's the trailhead located? I've heard of people going out that way but don't know exactly where trailhead is for the end of church rd?

Default trail head

when you get to the end of church take a left on schrock when the road y's stay to the right keep right until you see a ran down white mobile home on the left thats the trail head. atleast thats the one i know about there is another off of shashana off of moose meadow rd. both are cool trails but the one at the white trailer is the bomber trail.

Default trail head

I hit B-29 a few days ago, Very soupy, lots of mud mixed with snow. Could not make it up either side the left or switchback. Just too wet and thick mud.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Getting off and walking it happened to work in the "snow" you tried obviously. There's a reason eskimos have dozens of words for snow "in every one of it's states". The wet, sugar snow that is most prevelant in the spring at elevation isn't very crossable by getting off the machine and walking it. I use that method also in deep mud when I'm on a light machine. Big bore machines don't care if you get off.
    Perhaps Water-Gremlin and Snug can chime in about our attempts to cross springtime wet, sugarsnow
    Ask Fishkill in this thread how well walking the machine worked in sugarsnow.
    So your basically telling me...... that I didn't walk my machine across the snow....several times last spring? You remind of me of a guy from a now defunct Alaskan based atv website that I always seemed to have issues with.......but whatever, makes me no nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by SuMotorboater View Post
    I hit B-29 a few days ago, Very soupy, lots of mud mixed with snow. Could not make it up either side the left or switchback. Just too wet and thick mud.
    I have only made this run one time (late last year) thinking about going this week--regardless of the conditions...the hills and switchbacks are you referring to the ones that are pretty far back where it starts to get steep? How long did it take you to get to the fatherst point?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    So your basically telling me...... that I didn't walk my machine across the snow....several times last spring? You remind of me of a guy from a now defunct Alaskan based atv website that I always seemed to have issues with.......but whatever, makes me no nevermind.

John,

Don't take his comment personally, I think he was just pointing out that snow conditions change so frequently that a tactic that works today may not work tomorrow. Heck, I've seen many days where things went well in the morning, but a 10* change in temp made everything impossible. Walking beside the bike will work well when there is a crust, but if the snow is "sugar", you are screwed!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast