Thread: Book about PWS

Default Book about PWS

I was playin' around and found this book on line. It had a excerpt and was really informative about entering coves and where the rocks were. What cove was good when the wind was out of the South, blah blah, Any way I was going to save the page and didn't and now can't find the book or title. If I remember right, which can always be called into question, it was a woman author. As this is our first year on the big blue, I thought it might be a good guide. NOt to replaced the charts or anything just a good reference. It was sort of like a mile post for the PWS. Does anyone know of the book to which I am refering? Or maybe one like it? It didn't give fishing coordinates or anything but was more of a boating guide. Sure wish I had saved that page. I tried looking at Barnes and Noble but they didn't have it. Nor did Sportsman ware house. Any way I thought some one might know what the title was and the author or where I could find it. I really wanna get our boat wet!!!

The book I feel is the best for PWS is "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. In my opinion a must have to keep on the boat. The bookstore by REI had some in stock. I believe that you can also order one from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    I was playin' around and found this book on line. It had a excerpt and was really informative about entering coves and where the rocks were. What cove was good when the wind was out of the South, blah blah, Any way I was going to save the page and didn't and now can't find the book or title. If I remember right, which can always be called into question, it was a woman author. As this is our first year on the big blue, I thought it might be a good guide. NOt to replaced the charts or anything just a good reference. It was sort of like a mile post for the PWS. Does anyone know of the book to which I am refering? Or maybe one like it? It didn't give fishing coordinates or anything but was more of a boating guide. Sure wish I had saved that page. I tried looking at Barnes and Noble but they didn't have it. Nor did Sportsman ware house. Any way I thought some one might know what the title was and the author or where I could find it. I really wanna get our boat wet!!!

Default wow that was fast

Hey thanks that was really fast. I typed that in and it was the one I was looking at. Thank you! I just love this forum and the helpful folks on here! Happy fishin' to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    The book I feel is the best for PWS is "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. In my opinion a must have to keep on the boat. The bookstore by REI had some in stock. I believe that you can also order one from this site.
    That would be Title Wave. I second it as a must have for PWS cruising. Awesome resource!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Smile

Alaska Mining and Diving has them. It is almost as valuable as any chart of PWS, especially if you want to go to the cool places!

Default In the Valley

Had to wait as they are on order but found it in Palmer. Thanks for the info, as yes we want to go to the cool places!

Default Coast Pilot 9

Below is a link to download Coast Pilot 9. This covers the Alaska Coast from Cape Spencer to the Beaufort Sea. It is meant for the large commercial vessels but there is a wealth of info for a small craft as well. Especially some anchorages that may be needed at times. I downloaded it and printed off the relevant pages into 3 packets. One for PWS, one for Seward area, and one for Cook Inlet (Homer). I keep them in a gallon zip lock bag and keep them on the boat.

I also keep some charts I printed on 9 x 11 paper for each area as well. This is for a back up in case my chart plotter takes a dive. I posted a while back on how I did this for free.

It is also fun for some people traveling with me to keep track of where we are. I keep the pertinent chart sheet inside a clear protector sleeve and give them a dry erase fine tip pen. They mark our course as we go out. This helps to give them a feel for where we are and where we are going. At the end of the trip I can just wipe the protector sleeve and do it again next time. Hopefully if the chart plotter crapped out we would have a good idea where we were. It would also help them get help if I had decided to go swimming and didn't come back.

If we go out to Lone Island we would need 2 sheets of paper so one protector sleeve would take care of it front and back. Rugged Island takes 3 pages and Montague would require 4 pages. So the number of protector sleeves I would need should usually be no more than 2 when used front and back.

This is also a good way to get the kids watching what is around them and looking at land masses to determine where they are. Navigation is becoming a lost art.

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot9.htm

Thumbs up I have

a copy of "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe on my boat! It is a great read and reference book. A lot more than just coves and anchorages. They describe weather, seas etc. A must have for any PWS cruising.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/