Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint recommendations for painting Vibrax and Pixies

Default Paint recommendations for painting Vibrax and Pixies

Over the past couple of months, I have been repairing the gear I found last year. I collected over a 1000 pieces, much of what could be fixed with a little repair, and/or by boiling them in water and putting a new hook (siwash) on them. Others need some bending and other enhancement such as a rubbing/cleaning them with steel wool. I am now down to a rough bunch of a 100 or so vibrax and pixies that are tarnished, have lost the blade coloring, or have considerable paint chipping. I was curious what others use for touch up painting of gear. I was considering raiding my girlfriends nail polish and start making as many funky designs as possible. Model paints came to mind as well. Any suggestions?

Does your collection include any spinners with metal blades, things like mepps aglias? I have a bunch of mepps spinners and castmasters that have tarnished over the years from use. I'd like to polish them but not sure what would bring back the original lustre.

Default metals

brasso and flitz usually work good on metals; dont know if you've tried these yet.

Default Good goo...

Plasti-Kote produces an oil-based, fast-drying glossy paint that comes in two ounce jars. You can usually find it in in a Wal-Mart. This might be what you are looking for.

Be sure and wipe the glass threads clean before resealing the lid to the jar or you'll never be able to reopen it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Second the powder coats, come in some awesome colors. Get set up for one color production mode and go at it.

I us this stuff to color barbell eyes for tying flies.

George

Default Don't fix 'em

Just buy Kodiak Custom (wanna see some pictures?)...

Hah!

I take off the old paint from the shanks or bodies with a dremel, put on Kilz primer, and use fingernail polish which comes in hundreds of shades and dries FAST. Use Flitz on the aluminum blades, sharpen the hooks, and you're good to go.

Or you could buy Kodiak Custom (wanna see some pictures?).

Default Some pictures

Thanks for the feedback. I have placed two photos on here. One of the currently repaired gear (a small collection with only some #4 vibrax, pixies, teaspoons, mepps, cleos, etc. ) and the other with the "need more work" gear. I have not worked with powders, so I am reluctant do so for awhile. I will be heading to the store for supplies fingernail polish, Plasti-Kote, etc. Flitz for the blades seems like an option. I was thinking of painting the blades in many different colors. I thought it would be nice to have a vibrax that was colored like a daredevil. The mepps agilias seem to fail apart more readily than virbrax. The tubing on the flying J's falls apart easily too. Not sure of a repair option for the tubing. I have also found the kodiak custom gear, but never bought any. I do like the idea of the reflective stickers for blades on a vibrax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    I do like the idea of the reflective stickers for blades on a vibrax.
    You can buy the stickers in several colors and paterns at B&J for $2.50-3.00.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

The powder coats are very easy. When I was hybrid and crappie fishing all the time, I coated jig heads and heavy lead spoons. All you need is a small propane torch, heat the metal for a couple of seconds and dip it in the powder. Any excess can be scraped off. It creates a much more durable finish I thought, than any of the paints I used on jigs and spoons. The colors seem to be more vibrant as well. The only thing you have to watch is getting the metal too hot, it cooks the powder.

Default Nice pictures...

Thanks for the feedback. I have placed two photos on here. One of the currently repaired gear (a small collection with only some #4 vibrax, pixies, teaspoons, mepps, cleos, etc. ) and the other with the "need more work" gear. I have not worked with powders, so I am reluctant do so for awhile. I will be heading to the store for supplies fingernail polish, Plasti-Kote, etc. Flitz for the blades seems like an option. I was thinking of painting the blades in many different colors. I thought it would be nice to have a vibrax that was colored like a daredevil. The mepps agilias seem to fail apart more readily than virbrax. The tubing on the flying J's falls apart easily too. Not sure of a repair option for the tubing. I have also found the kodiak custom gear, but never bought any. I do like the idea of the reflective stickers for blades on a vibrax.

Thanks for the pictures, I will forward the one on to Tony as he will get a kick out of seeing how his spinners faired after being submersed.

Default Nice pictures...

Thanks for the pictures, I will forward the one on to Tony as he will get a kick out of seeing how his spinners faired after being submersed.

Default Pimp my fishing gear contest? :-)

I suppose there are enough creative people on here to come up with some amazing creations in fishing gear with found and store bought gear. I have already started to pimp out my vibrax. I will send some photos later.

The powder coat stuff works well. I let my 5 year old daughter pick the jar I bought. That stuff goes a LONG way and I have alot of PINK lures now.

Nail polish works great. My granddaughter and I made up some really "cool" ones a coupleof years ago. They worked great infact I wish I had taken a picture of a couple of them so I could duplicat them the worked so well! To make them shine polishing compound and a buffing wheel. Watch you fingers!

Here is the first batch. Nothing fancy, yet. It is a little difficult painting with the tiny brush of the fingernail polish. The upgrade on the generic pixies is worth it because the glued plastic insert falls out all the time and a painted ones look better.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

set yourself up with a fluid bed and some powder paint in bright colors. some i use a high temperature tape and make patterns on using allthread and a mirror gloss powder coat over to seal the deal.

oops, forgot to add pics.

Default another

heres another that shows most of my bigger jigs

Nice -- I will look into the powder paint. The fingernail polish is pretty limited and some of the painted gear looks more like folk art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast