Thread: Opinions on Browning BLR Takedown in .325 WSM

Default Opinions on Browning BLR Takedown in .325 WSM

Hi all. I am the owner of a Browning BLR lever takedown in 325 WSM. Does anyone have an opinion on this cartridge or gun. I will be using it on Whitetails, Bear and Moose. I am kinda wondering what to expect this fall.

Default DUH

With a lot of practice and the right ammo; DEAD ANIMALS !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hello:
    As for the cartridge, should be just fine to harvest about anything with the correct bullet, as for the BLR..... it will be fine as long as you don't expect it to fire everytime you pull the trigger. Another good idea to retain trade-in value is wrap the whole gun in 3 layers of duct tape so it won't be damaged when you throw it on the ground to grab your backup revolver after you hear "CLICK" when the trigger is pulled.
    I've had 3 BLRs that did this regularly(about 1 time in 12 trigger pulls), and had friends who had 2 more, no amount of internal bolt/action cleaning/lube ever helped. I'd hunt bear with an axe before i'd ever trust my life to a BLR! Pretty gun to look at though.

Smile an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Hello:
    As for the cartridge, should be just fine to harvest about anything with the correct bullet, as for the BLR..... it will be fine as long as you don't expect it to fire everytime you pull the trigger. Another good idea to retain trade-in value is wrap the whole gun in 3 layers of duct tape so it won't be damaged when you throw it on the ground to grab your backup revolver after you hear "CLICK" when the trigger is pulled.
    I've had 3 BLRs that did this regularly(about 1 time in 12 trigger pulls), and had friends who had 2 more, no amount of internal bolt/action cleaning/lube ever helped. I'd hunt bear with an axe before i'd ever trust my life to a BLR! Pretty gun to look at though.
    It appears that that the BLR won't be on you Christmas wish list anytime in the near future. What kind and brand of axe do you recommend? Head weight? I know they use mostly single bit in Canada. And of course, the next question...what are the regs in shipping an axe to Alaska. One probably wouldn't want to get caught with an extra one in his baggage in Russia either. Have fun.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default click

I agree with Maglvr. I had a BLR in 358 loved how the gun handled and think the 358 is one of the best calibers ever invented however my BLR went click instead of bang to many times, last time I was hunting bear. Not sure why they do it but Ive heard of many that do and there are to many good guns out there now to mess with junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    It appears that that the BLR won't be on you Christmas wish list anytime in the near future. What kind and brand of axe do you recommend? Head weight? I know they use mostly single bit in Canada. And of course, the next question...what are the regs in shipping an axe to Alaska. One probably wouldn't want to get caught with an extra one in his baggage in Russia either. Have fun.
    Maydog:
    You are right about a BLR not being on my Christmas list anytime soon
    As for the best choice of axe for bear hunting..... I would have to vote hands down for a standard firemans axe..... good, long handle to distance yourself from the bruin as much as possible, not to mention in case of a misplaced first swing you have the spike for a fast upstroke into the chest or throat without having to turn the blade over, kinda like a double barrel for speed of the second shot

Wink good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Maydog:
    You are right about a BLR not being on my Christmas list anytime soon
    As for the best choice of axe for bear hunting..... I would have to vote hands down for a standard firemans axe..... good, long handle to distance yourself from the bruin as much as possible, not to mention in case of a misplaced first swing you have the spike for a fast upstroke into the chest or throat without having to turn the blade over, kinda like a double barrel for speed of the second shot
    I think you're on to something there. I never thought about the fireman's axe. It's got so much going for it...gotta be the number one choce. You did good and I'll bet the momentum figure is out the roof. Nice.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.