Thread: Anyone else doing this?

Default Anyone else doing this?

It seems that with me coordination strikes every seven seconds. I'm most likely to drop a box of bullets scattering them across the floor or ground if I have just loaded up some experimental rounds with different powders and bullets. When I've got 4 different bullets and 4 different powder combos trying to figure out which a rifle likes best, well you get the idea. I still just put a label on a cartridge box when they are all the same after things have been sorted out, but lately I've been using a fine point Sharpie permanent marker to label each round. I include the bullet and weight and powder and grains. It only takes a few seconds and also helps when examining the cases for pressure signs. Even though it's called permanent, the ink wipes off with alcohol. It think all in all it's pretty cheap insurance for about a minute of time. I sure beats pulling bullets and remeasuring powder charges to sort things out. On the other hand if you're not as naturally clumsy as me it might be a waste of your time.

Default Keeping'em sorted

I just use diff. colored sharpie's to color my primers and log what is what.
    Green is 54 grs, blue is 54.5 grs, red is ..... It works for me and is alot less to scribiling on cases.

Jake

Default you bet, I use a sharpie marker on brass too...

Before loading I write all the details in my load book, each different recipe on its own line and listing quantity of rounds to load.

Then I load the first iteration, say five rounds, and mark the brass with one dot with a sharpie marker, then make the same dot on that line in the load book. Next recipe the brass gets marked with 2 dots and 2 dots on that line in load book, etc. This way you can analyze the brass after getting back from the range and know what was what.

I once knocked several boxes of bullets off a shelf onto a concrete floor and they went flying like steel balls out of a claymore!!! Man what a pain trying to get them all back into the correct boxes. I still find one laying in a corner, or behind a bench leg every now and then!

I mark'em too. I started doing it after I saw marked cases on the Real Guns website. I thought it was a good idea, so I stole it!

Yep, I always marked my cartridges with a sharpie when I was working up a load or experimenting.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Bully, Bully.

I use sharpies, and different colors too, for many different applications.

I even put a dot on the case head, for each time it has been fired. That helps me keep track. Each batch of loads will also have a label that says ď Firing 3Ē for example. Then when it has been fired, I add a dot, and when I load that batch again, the label has to say ďFiring 4Ē.

Ziplock Bags, Sharpie Pens, and Plastic Cartridge Boxes. Just a few of the innovative adaptations of the modern Hand Loader. We can hold a Cell Phone in one hand and pull the lever with the other one. Those ďGolferísĒ should not take us lightly.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I do the same thing. I will only have one powder on the table at a time so it is easy enough to which powder it is. I also mark one load on the cases before I switch to another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5031144.JPG  
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The idea of having only one powder out at a time is a good one for obvious reasons. I even take it a step further.

I make stickys outta small pieces of paper and scotch tape and put 3, or 4 of them on the can of powder Iím using. Say the powder is H1000. The can in current use has the stickys on it that say H1000, and I take that one off the shelf.

When I pour the powder anywhere else to use it, I pull one of the stickys off, and put it on the powder Measure, or Trickler, or Cup or anything else that I put powder in when Iím using it, so I have a (temporary) label on the powder, even when itís not in itís original container.

In this way, I know which cans of powder hasnít been opened, which ones are in use, and what kinda powder is in the Measure or Trickler, or whatever.

When you're as dumb as me, ya gotta keep checkin yerself.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.