Thread: 303 British on the cheap...

Default 303 British on the cheap...

I have a friend I work with who is just getting into reloading. So far we've been goin' through the ropes i.e. FL sizing, Brass care/prep, and loading a few dummies to play with COAL etc. His hole reason for reloading is to save money and have fun Since he doesn't have a ton of money to spend on powder, bullets, primers and all that. And since he has everything ready to make his first batch except powder I was wondering...

What powders work best with the 303 British? He has a couple hundred 150 gr. Hornady SP's and some CCI LR primers in new WW Brass ready to go. He would like to find/buy only 1 pound of powder to start with, and he would like it to work with 150-180 gr bullets (me too). But I have no Idea what the 303 likes. I have looked in 4 manuals and see H4895, Varget, BL-C2 and a few others keep popping up? What do you fellers' think?

Thanks, Jake

I would try 4320. Good luck. J.

Another vote for IMR 4320.

Default Hummm

Know anyone who has a couple boxes of CORDITE ? That's what it was originally loaded with. LOL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Know anyone who has a couple boxes of CORDITE ? That's what it was originally loaded with. LOL
    I recall Cordite coming in a roll...not that it matters!!

Anyway, I have used 4895 (either), RL15, and H380. All shoot good. I can hold the 10 ring at 200 yds and bang the gong off hand at 300 meters.

Some of my 303 rifles are pretty hard on brass, no matter what I do...hope that helps,
    R/Allen

Default thanks for the advice...

I guess we'll give 4320 a try and then maybe 4895.

Thanks again, Jake

I forgot to toss in that if he's really trying to cut costs, IMR-3031 might be a good bet. He won't get top velocities compared to something a little slower, but for moderate loads in medium capacity cases such as the 303, it will cut the size of powder charge he uses a little and extend his buck a little. I haven't checked the manuals (I'm on the road) to make sure, but I frequently use 3031 in my 30-40 Krag, 25-20, 30-30, 32 Spec.